renting or buy cablemodem....

Larry

ok hello everyone my Comcast tech man  is coming over tomorrow and letting me rent the cable modem from Comcast but I already owned the modem ive bought it at bestbuy becouse I wanted too update my broadband speed to 8meg they couldnt do it becouse my Mac address was diffirent then my account number they couldnt fix the problem I was on the phone about 30 mins or so they said my cablemodem was on another account so I have no idea way I got my bill with my account number, but my cablemodem was on diffrent account :undecided: ok should I buy another cablemodem or just rent it :?:

Just, its becouse my cable service charges $3.00 amonth and if I buy one they dont need too charge me anything... [nerd] but the problem they have the newer model SB5120

and at my store they told carry newer models they only sells model SB5101 and SB5100

I work for a large cable Internet provider and I provision modems all the time. ;)

Same here. Larry, where ever that cable modem mac is registered under is the account holder. Apparently in the past you weren't the account holder or it would have been moved. Nevertheless, you will want a DOCSIS 2.0 modem (Google 'docsis' and click on CableLabs).

Don't buy a motorola surf board. Trust me on that. Buy a D-Link. They work best on cable operators' networks and mesh well with the CMTS.

And it's best to own your cable modem, not your cable box. My ISP/Employer only contracts with 2 manufacurers of cable modems that I don't recommend anyway. They're all around $60 anyway.

Dlink - DCM-202 I might add. Any ?'s