Laptop Just Restarted By Itself

wyantm06

sometimes it doesnt tell me...but thats in XP media center...

but i read some problems for people might be hardware related...but did you try searching for adware, spyware, etc.? 

Yeah, it found 4 things. I then removed them. I don't think it could be that though. I once had like 4,000 different spyware on an other PC I had to remove and it never restarted on it's own.

To be exact it did it during the screen saver. Sigh...It seems like I am the only one who has the most bad luck with electronics. Went through 4 Xbox 360's, 1 HDTV remote, 2 PC HDD's, and that just dents the list. I take care of my stuff more than anyone I know to. My friends even think I take care of my stuff way to good. Must not be good enough if I keep getting shit things. I don't know what to do anymore. All this stuff is just making me depressed.

Most likely a driver error. It happened to me when I just installed a program. 4 xbox 360's??? I've been through 1, I'm getting a new one in about a week.

Yeah, first 2 had weird checkered board lines. I was told bad GFX card in it. 3rd one came broke from UPS, and my 4th just died. It won't play Xbox 1 games. Anyways back to my topic/

Who knows. I know I am paranoid ad worried as hell right now. $1,200 and it is doing weird things.

you say it's only rebooting during a screensaver? if so, try a different screensaver, and your power options to make sure it's not set to shut down or hibernate, etc. when inactive...

i have xp pro and have never used vista but this is stuff i have had to change in xp so hope it works

you say it's only rebooting during a screensaver? if so, try a different screensaver, and your power options to make sure it's not set to shut down or hibernate, etc. when inactive...

i have xp pro and have never used vista but this is stuff i have had to change in xp so hope it works

It only rebooted it self once.

my guess, is that it may have went into stanby, and you mistakenly thought it was cut off so you hit the power button.  Some machines cut off in standby if you hit the power button instead of hitting a keyboard key. 

Are you using a third party screen saver, or one included in vista?

my guess, is that it may have went into stanby, and you mistakenly thought it was cut off so you hit the power button.  Some machines cut off in standby if you hit the power button instead of hitting a keyboard key. 

Are you using a third party screen saver, or one included in vista?

No, I didn't even hit the power button. I was watching Gridiron Gang on my PS3. I noticed my laptop went into a screen saver, next time I look over it restarted and said windows might have been shut down incorrectly. Go into safemode, normal mode or whichever you choose. I am using the default screensaver it came with. I been using my laptop now ever since it did it and nothing else happened yet. I guess I can only see where things will go from now, I hope I don't have anymore issues.

Well....stuff happens lol....I have stuff randomly restart on me before....usually its an indicator of a bad stick of RAM.  It will dump everything from the memory and reboot the computer.  I would download a memory tester such as memtest86 and let it test your RAM.

Well....stuff happens lol....I have stuff randomly restart on me before....usually its an indicator of a bad stick of RAM.  It will dump everything from the memory and reboot the computer.  I would download a memory tester such as memtest86 and let it test your RAM.

I'd hope it isn't a bad stick of ram. I just bought the laptop brand new this saturday for $1200......

Ok, I went into the event viewer and got a critical error at 7:30 pm this is what it says.Maybe it'll help someone tell me what the issue was.

Log Name:      System

Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power

Date:          4/24/2007 7:35:38 PM

Event ID:      41

Task Category: None

Level:        Critical

Keywords:      (2)

User:          SYSTEM

Computer:      Mark-PC

Description:

The last sleep transition was unsuccessful. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, failed, or lost power during the sleep transition.

Event Xml:

<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

<System>

<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />

<EventID>41</EventID>

<Version>0</Version>

<Level>1</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Opcode>0</Opcode>

<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2007-04-24T23:35:38.724Z" />

<EventRecordID>5372</EventRecordID>

<Correlation />

<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />

<Channel>System</Channel>

<Computer>Mark-PC</Computer>

<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />

</System>

<EventData>

</EventData>

</Event>

Simple...it tried to go into sleep mode and failed....

What does this mean?  Who knows....just go into your power options and disable sleep mode.

I rarely use sleep mode because I havn't had much luck with it in the past.  Hibernation was always better for me.

Simple...it tried to go into sleep mode and failed....

What does this mean?  Who knows....just go into your power options and disable sleep mode.

I rarely use sleep mode because I havn't had much luck with it in the past.  Hibernation was always better for me.

Soooo you're saying I should be fine I hope lol. Thanks for the answer! Thank god for event viewer.