Cox HSI PowerBoost in Arizona

keetan

This thread belongs on the news board, but, because I found it...

Per the website http://support.cox.com/sdccommon/asp/contentredirect.asp

A little insight to the info...because the link wasn't working for some time...

Cox High Speed Internet Introduces PowerBoost™

Cox is pleased to announce PowerBoost -- PowerBoost “makes fast even faster” by giving customers an extra “shot” of speed when downloading large files.

Frequently Asked Questions About PowerBoost

What is PowerBoost?

PowerBoost is a new technology that gives customers a burst of download speed that is significantly faster than their normal data speeds. PowerBoost recognizes when a customer is downloading large files, such as pictures, music and movies, and looks for extra bandwidth to utilize for the download. Each PowerBoost lasts a few seconds and is designed to provide a burst of increased speed when it is needed most.

How much does PowerBoost cost?

PowerBoost is free! This feature activates automatically and at no extra cost for all Premier and Preferred customers.

Which customers will get PowerBoost?

PowerBoost is available to all Cox High Speed Internet customers with Preferred or Premier packages (except Omaha / Sun Valley). Speeds will be boosted up to twice as fast for Preferred customers and up to 29% faster for Premier customers.

How many PowerBoosts can a customer get in a day, week or month?

Customers are not limited to a certain number of PowerBoosts. PowerBoosts will be granted as often as the customer downloads a large file and there is extra network capacity available.

How long does each PowerBoost last?

Each PowerBoost lasts for a few seconds. Basically, a PowerBoost will jumpstart a large file download and automatically reduce the overall download time by up to 50% (twice as fast). Actual speeds vary depending on file size and other factors.

Will PowerBoost make every download twice as fast?

When extra bandwidth is available on Cox’s local hybrid-fiber network, a customer will experience a faster download. Speeds will be boosted up to 29% faster for Preferred customers and up to 25% faster for Premier customers.

Is PowerBoost available to multiple computers within the house (via home networking)?

PowerBoost is available to up to four computers networked in the home. However, only one computer can experience a PowerBoost at any given time.

Are all cable modems capable of receiving PowerBoosts?

All modems on Cox’s current approved modem list are capable of receiving PowerBoosts. For a complete list of approved modems, visit support.cox.com. DOCSIS cable modems 1.1 and higher are capable of receiving PowerBoosts, regardless of cable modem type.

Will PowerBoost slow down a customer’s normal high-speed Internet speeds as more people get PowerBoost?

No. PowerBoost works by only utilizing additional capacity on Cox’s fiber-hybrid network to give customers a short “boost” above and beyond their normal speeds. The availability of PowerBoost depends on the availability of extra bandwidth on the network at the moment a customer starts a large download. Cox’s network group continually monitors bandwidth needs and will increase capacity as required to ensure that customers are receiving the speed and quality they expect.

How will customers know when PowerBoost is available in their market?

Customers will be notified via emails and bill message when PowerBoost is launched in their market. There are no on-screen indicators when a PowerBoost is taking place. But customers should notice a shorter download time when downloading a large file, such as software, games, music and photos.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

CHSI Preferred - 7Mbps up to 9Mbps 29%

CHSI Premier - 12Mbps up to 15Mbps 25%

This will take effect on 4/25/2007 - If you use Hyperterminal/Telnet, you can verify your cable modem's configuration file with the file name ending in "dpb.cfg". Powerboost has taken affect. If not, you can always call tech support to verify and or reboot your cable modem.

• 1 month later...

I'm in Scottsdale, Arizona and I've been happy with the 12/1 Premier from Cox lately...*especially* with the 'Boost' but have had connectivity issues off/on for quite awhile. FINALLY decided to install a directional coupler instead of a splitter at the wall where cable comes into my place...NICE! Here's my test just now with 48,638kB download.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 12928 Kbps about 12.9 Mbps (tested with 48638 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1578 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/06/05 - 10:23pm

Bottom Line:: 225X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.65 sec

Tested from a 48638 kB file and took 30.82 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 122.25 % faster than the average for host (cox.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-LBNF3ZDQ7

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Win 9x 4.90) [!]

My SB5120 signal log looks very good too, though it never was 'bad' I'm hoping I'll see many fewer (as in 'none') modem restarts now. My downstream power level was running -4 and -5 which should have been ok, but 0 is better, though some debate that :smiley6600:. SNR hasn't changed. Upstream has though, from regularly 40 to 49 now at 39 and steady. Maybe that'll help keep me connected. :grin:

Downstream  Value

Frequency 579000000 Hz   

Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB 

QAM QAM256

Network Access Control Object ON

Power Level 0 dBmV   

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading 

Upstream  Value

Channel ID 2

Frequency 22800000 Hz 

Ranging Service ID 2289

Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s

Power Level 39 dBmV

Not too shabby for the big download. :wink:

P.S. The directional coupler rather than a splitter has done squat for my Upload stats :cry:

But I'm lovin' that download!!! :smitten:

and...dare I include a good link to that item?

http://www.accessorywarehouse.com/shop/customer/search.php?substring=directional+coupler

P.P.S. For all y'all with and without 'Boost' our friends at SpeedGuide have cloned some info from here, there and everywhere for this help for all cable modem users:

http://forums.speedguide.net/showthread.php?t=198915