The Dell saga continues..

Swimmer

Well.. for the 4 time in this laptops, Inspiron 8600, lifetime I have had to have something replaced.  So far it has been 2 CD-ROM drives, motherboard and now my LCD panel.  No biggie right.. With a 3 year next day on-site warranty it really shouldn't be an issue.  After all I have already been though this once with my motherboard.  How hard could be replacing the LCD panel be?

Well it turns out a hell of a lot hard then it should have been.  Since the motherboard has been replaced, if I leave the computer on for extended periods of time, say 3 or more days, when i reboot the PC it displays a nice little thermal warning that a thermal event has occurred.  Hmm.. wonder why that is!  Maybe because the tech that installed my new motherboard didn't add any additional thermal paste to the processor?  So enough past history.. Friday, the 4th, I call Dell to have them correct the issue with my LCD panel, which for no reason doesn't work.  So we run though the on-board tests and what do you know.. The LCD panel fails.. Shocker there huh?  At the same time I put a request for the CPU to be checked and thermal grease to be reapplied to, hopefully, correct the thermal issue. 

So today the tech arrives..  To my amazement he shows up 5 minutes prior to the two hour window expiration, go figure right, and has the "new" LCD in tow.  So we sit down and begin the replacement process.  He whips out his sweet, well not really, Belkin tool kit, which was missing about half of the tools, and starts disassembling the computer.  That take about 10 minutes and the old LCD panel is out and the new is in.  Reassembly begins and goes over with out too much trouble.  Then it is time to reinstall the plastic that covers the hinges and the gap between the keyboard and the back of the laptop.  Well it turns out that he is unable to get it back on correctly.  After struggling with it for 15 minutes he decides to just call it a day and press it hard one time so it sticks, but doesn't latch, and walk smoothly out the door like it was not an issue.  On top of the he refused to check the CPU because it wasn't on the "work order."  Well isn't that just dandy.. So after 30 minutes of work I have a working LCD, a plus, a cover that doesn't fit correctly, a minus, and still have a thermal issue, a HUGE minus. 

Which bring me to tonight.  My lovely 1 hour conversation, 35 minutes to just figure out what part of the case I was talking about, with a Dell represenative.  Again requesting them to return my computer to the condition it was in prior to their tech pretty much just getting up and leaving.  Then the shot heard around the world.  "It is not our tech responsibility to trouble shoot the computer on-site."  OK I could agree with that.. but this was the response to the comment that NO thermal grease was applied during the installation of the new motherboard.  I pretty much said that it is Intel's recommendation that NEW thermal compound be applied once the heat sink has been removed from the processor.  The was a moment of silence then.... "I will have to check with my manager."  :cry::shocked:  After a great 3-5 minute wait the rep said that the tech would be sent with a new heat sink, I guess they don't train them to apply stuff on their own, and the rest of my part to try and fix the situation.  I am to get my parts Thursday or Friday, I don't know why it is going to take so long, after all I have next day on-site service. :idiot2:

So the Dell saga continues..

i have had a dell inspiron lcd replaced (one and a half year old decided to place mouse on keyboard and close lid. um.)

well, 3 year service so who cares. and swimmer, i believe you. that plastic frame is really a cast iron bitch to get back in right. after the tech didn't get it i wrote up a quick waiver and tried my hand at it myself. took me 20 minutes to figue the damned thing out and get it seated.

i have had a dell inspiron lcd replaced (one and a half year old decided to place mouse on keyboard and close lid. um.)

well, 3 year service so who cares. and swimmer, i believe you. that plastic frame is really a cast iron bitch to get back in right. after the tech didn't get it i wrote up a quick waiver and tried my hand at it myself. took me 20 minutes to figue the damned thing out and get it seated.

It isn't an issue of fixing it.. well I guess it is. But the point is that I paid extra for this warranty, pretty much because I expected stuff to break, so things like this wouldn't be an issue.  All that I expect is that my computer is in the same condition as when I asked for it to be serviced.  The screen fits fine in the case.. the issue is all of the plastic... 

I would bother my way to a manager and keep climbing the ladder/complain until I get a new laptop. 

I wouldn't want to waste my time... I figure I will be replacing this once I am done in a year and a half.  Plus the model that replaced the 8600 really lacks a graphic card. 

I'm Dell certfified to order replacement parts and install them myself.  We have 600+ computers in our building so its nice to have to deal with Dell techs.

On a lot of the laptops now, they just replace the whole damn thing.(monitor)  Plastics and all. 

I don't like the inspiron models, but the latitudes are great.

Alright another update on this little saga..  So after my little call to order the parts I called back and dealt with the tech support people once again.  This time it was to make sure that the same tech doesn't show up again.  I for a fact know that I never want him near my computer again.  After another hour on the phone trying to get things sorted through, it was finally determined that there was a way to request a different tech and to have them come out.  Here is the kicker.  Since the service call had already been assigned to the original tech, the guy who visited me the first time, there was no way of changing it from Dell's side.  I was not going to take that as an answer and said that they needed to do what ever they could to get me a different tech.  After about 5 minutes on hold the represenative came back on the line and told me that they could cancel the request, keep the parts in Chicago, and reassign me to a new tech.  The only kicker was that it would be 3-5 business days before anyone could come out and install anything.  Well that wasn't going to fly and I reminded them that this is their fault that my computer was broken and that I have a next day warranty.  Another 5 minutes and now the manager is coming to visit my house to install the parts.

So the manager show up about an hour later and has a new hinge assembly and the heat sink.  30 minutes later and we are back to the step where everything is suppose to fit back together.  Again, it doesn't.  So now I have 2 more parts, the entire palm assembly and power control unit, the piece of plastic that hold the power button and volume controls, coming in tomorrow. 

So at the end of my 3 year warranty I will, for the most part, have a computer assembled of warranty parts.  The only things that have yet to fail are the hard drive, video card, and processor.  I don't know whether this reflects on Dell's build quality, choice of parts/manufactures, or support system.  But I am 100% sure that I am never buying a Dell.  Dude I am not getting a Dell.

Too bad you had that much trouble with it. On my Inspiron 5150, the CD-drive pin broke, possibly from too many hours of playing diablo  :angel:

I also broke the motherboard audio input jack, but that was my fault. Of course, there's the chronic overheating problem, but I just get used to 50 C idle temperatures. I also find that the overall design of the laptop, especially the USB plugs, is less than optimal, but overall, I would not say that I am dissatisfied with that laptop. Your tech not knowing that it was needed to apply thermal paste was pretty stupid tho.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright another update...

The palm rest and power piece was never installed.. I just ran out of time in Chicago.. 

But another issue... I have been back for less than 1 week and I no longer have a LCD screen on my computer.  Since I have been back at Purdue, the computer has sat in the docking station.  I took it out last night to watch a DVD before going to bed.  Again the exact same problem as before.  No screen what so ever.  I place the computer back onto the docking station and boot.  Lo and behold the LCD monitor has disappeared from the ATI displays tab.  Excellent!!  :roll:  So power down at into the Dell Diag utility..  Half way though the LCD tests the screen turns pink and the test fails.

So time to ring up Dell's tech support.  After about an hour and a half with tech support the conclusion was made to replace my motherboard, LCD, graphics, and new complete plastic assembly.  So that is due here tomorrow or Wednesday. 

For all of this trouble I have asked to have my warranty extended another year as my entire computer will be replaced in the coming week.  I was offered $100 to basically go away by customer support and then transfered to tech support.  They told me that I would have to pay for the additional warranty out of pocket.  It costs $150-$200 for one year depending on which "level" I get. 

I have attached a tech support service summary of all of the calls that I have made for this system.. 

Another update..  after a conference call with tech support, customer care, and the customer care manager.. it was determined that $100 was not going to cover the $170 1 year warranty.  I have been escalated to their Resolution Center.. where better offers can be made.

So here is my conclusion so far.. If I would have bought this laptop today at the standard warranty, one year, I would have spent close to $900 on calls to support alone.  That doesn't include parts and labor.  :shocked:

I will take a look at that later... I am on my phone right now because the dell guys is here replacing everything.

Haha.. good clip.. heard it before.

So here is the latest update..  The dell on-site guy showed up.  Replaced the motherboard, video card, and screen.  But for some reason the plastic parts, the source of having to do this like 15 times already were a no show.  No only that but again they didn't send a heat sink. 

Back on the phone, another 30 minutes, again ordering more parts.  Now it is a palm rest, another power control unit, and a heat sink.  I can't wait for my 5th visit!  :roll: :roll:

I was able to get a $175 rebate to buy the extra year of warranty for the computer.  I just need it to live for another year and then I am getting something different.

Alright.. So on Friday the additional parts arrived and were installed.  Everything is finally fitting but the sent the wrong palm rest.  At this point I dont care any more so I am going to keep it.  Basically the Inspiron 8500 has a touchpad and one of those sticks placed in the keyboard...  So there are an additional two buttons..  Well the I8600 only has a touchpad.  So I have two additional buttons..  Other than that issue everything is finally working the way it should be.  Finally.

Alright.. So on Friday the additional parts arrived and were installed.  Everything is finally fitting but the sent the wrong palm rest.  At this point I dont care any more so I am going to keep it.  Basically the Inspiron 8500 has a touchpad and one of those sticks placed in the keyboard...  So there are an additional two buttons..  Well the I8600 only has a touchpad.  So I have two additional buttons..  Other than that issue everything is finally working the way it should be.  Finally.

glad you got fixed for the most part, hopefully it will last.

More trouble than it was worth in my opinion

Not in my opinion , if we ignore crap , thats all we deserve , just walk away and they will still dish up the same old crap , each problem cost them $$$$ ,

So in my view "GO Swimmer " raise Cain , and we all benefit, IMHO 

Not in my opinion , if we ignore crap , thats all we deserve , just walk away and they will still dish up the same old crap , each problem cost them $$$$ ,

So in my view "GO Swimmer " raise Cain , and we all benefit, IMHO 

Lol yah I am an electronics company's worst nightmare, because if it's not perfect they WILL be fixing it or exchanging it. In fact my LCD TV is being fixed right now because the inputs started developing a slight green tint to them. Cost me $60 to ship them the dang thing!!! $20 of that was packaging! :tickedoff:

hi everyone. a friend of mine sent me his dell inspiron 1100 2 years ago, not much compared with todays newer laptops, arrived here from boston,USA. first time i used it and did some checks if its still doin good i found out that its overheating too much, i did some searches and find means on how to fixed it or put it back to its normal and should be state, i found its fan and heat sink clogged with dust, reason why its overheating fast, after i put it back on i was amazed how the temp went low. Just to show how much i would like to keep something from a friend and its kept in good condition.  :-P. sad thing tho he didn't send me a thermal paste and a spare battery along with it. by the way im from zamboanga,phi. still using his dell.

John here, customer advocate at Dell headquarters. This story is quite a nightmare, and I'd like to bring it to an end if I can. Your service history speaks volumes. This should have been handled quite a while ago.

If you'd like to contact me about this, you can send an email to our public mailbox:

[email protected]

ATTN:John

I'd be happy to investigate this entire affair.