Road Runner Download Speed Boost

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 4752 Kbps about 4.8 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 580 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (main)

Test Time:: Sun May 15 14:13:52 PDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 85X faster than 56K 1MB download in 1.77 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 23.88 % faster than the average for host (rr.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-B6MW5XPTU

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 363 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 44 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (prem)

Test Time:: Sun May 15 14:03:15 PDT 2005

Bottom Line:: 6X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 23.27 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 29.18 % faster than the average for host (rr.com)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-FWJUC8MBQ

• 1 year later...

[glow=green,2,300]I have confirmation that the RR upgrade will be in effect as of January 31st for all RR customers. This will bump the basic RR from 3Mbs-5Mbs(375kbs-625kbs) but no change to the upload speed as of yet, I also have just found out the premium service will also be upgraded from 6Mbs to 8Mbs (750kbs-1000kbs) as with the basic service there will be no upload speed change. 5mbs/384kbs for 45 bucks is a very reasonable price for broadband, and those looking for a little more speed should get the premium service because 8mbs/512kbs for 69.95 is a great deal. Just thought I'd give you all an update on the RR upgrade situation, because up until now I had no idea the premium service would be upgraded, and the time warner rep I spoke with said the upload speeds would be upgraded soon.[/glow]

richcornucopia you're obviously knowledgeable about speeds but you're careless.  "Mbs" and "kbs" mean absolutely nothing.  In the case of your post you have mistaken "Mbs" for the actual term"Mbps" standing for "Mega bits per second" and "kbs" for the actual term "KBs"

Your numbers are accurate if you make these replacements.

BUT for all you speed weenies who want to sound intelligent next time you open your mouth at a lan party here are the facts.

bits SUCK, likewise so did technology in the 70's I mean come on, the first cell phone was the size of a backpack.  At the time transfer speeds were being developed the speeds were all measured in bits/second (don't confuse bits/s with baud it's a common misconception but they are not always equal)

computers are extremely powerful now and have enormous capacities.  Your computer (I assume most reading this are running some version of windows) shows you all your files in KB, MB and GB and some crazy dude might have a file that says TB.  These are "Bytes" Kilo, Mega, Giga, Tera, respectively

1 Byte = 8 bits

8000 bits = 1000 Bytes = 1 KB

We do everything on computers in the Kilo, and Mega Byte range.  Luckily some idiot decided that data transfer rates, LAN, WAN, Serial blah blah, should be measured in bits.  GREAT IDEA!!  Anyway no sense in arguing, what's screwed up is screwed up.

So your lovely cable/dsl/dialup providers give you these pretty numbers in kbps or Mbps.  and here is the easiest part.  If you learned to add in 1st grade you can calculate what the rates are actually moving at so that it is relative to an MP3.. Because last time I checked nobody said here just grab my three-million three-hundred twenty-five thousand ninehundred twenty-five bit MP3.  NO.. he said here it's just under 3 Mega Bytes

Cable provider says you get 768Kbps, sounds good.  Well lets check

768 Kilo bits per second = 768,000 bits per second

Divide 768,000 by 8 to get how many Bytes... = 96000 Bytes

and 96000 divided by 1000 (Kilo) = 96 Kilo Bytes or 96KB WOW

or I could cheat and see that it's already in Kilo bits and divide by 8

768/8 = 96KB  By todays High speed standards, that sucks.  11 seconds or so a MB that's 30-40 seconds for a 3 min MP3

Okay a tricky one for that math wiz

3Mbps okay I like to use the tricks of the trade.  rather than convert a bunch of times make the Mega into Kilo and divide by our crafty bit -> Byte conversion.

3Mbps = 3000Kbps

3000Kbps/8 bits = 375KB

There we go now we get our 3 min MP3 in 10 -15 seconds

Okay well you get the idea.  don't make mistakes with your "B" = Bytes and your "b" = bits and you'll feel good. 

If anyone made it to here I applaud you for listening to my rambling.  I Hope I made someone smarter and the dumb more confused.  Good Day.

• 3 weeks later...

richcornucopia you're obviously knowledgeable about speeds but you're careless.  "Mbs" and "kbs" mean absolutely nothing.  In the case of your post you have mistaken "Mbs" for the actual term"Mbps" standing for "Mega bits per second" and "kbs" for the actual term "KBs"

Your numbers are accurate if you make these replacements.

BUT for all you speed weenies who want to sound intelligent next time you open your mouth at a lan party here are the facts.

bits SUCK, likewise so did technology in the 70's I mean come on, the first cell phone was the size of a backpack.  At the time transfer speeds were being developed the speeds were all measured in bits/second (don't confuse bits/s with baud it's a common misconception but they are not always equal)

computers are extremely powerful now and have enormous capacities.  Your computer (I assume most reading this are running some version of windows) shows you all your files in KB, MB and GB and some crazy dude might have a file that says TB.  These are "Bytes" Kilo, Mega, Giga, Tera, respectively

1 Byte = 8 bits

8000 bits = 1000 Bytes = 1 KB

We do everything on computers in the Kilo, and Mega Byte range.  Luckily some idiot decided that data transfer rates, LAN, WAN, Serial blah blah, should be measured in bits.  GREAT IDEA!!  Anyway no sense in arguing, what's screwed up is screwed up.

So your lovely cable/dsl/dialup providers give you these pretty numbers in kbps or Mbps.  and here is the easiest part.  If you learned to add in 1st grade you can calculate what the rates are actually moving at so that it is relative to an MP3.. Because last time I checked nobody said here just grab my three-million three-hundred twenty-five thousand ninehundred twenty-five bit MP3.  NO.. he said here it's just under 3 Mega Bytes

Cable provider says you get 768Kbps, sounds good.  Well lets check

768 Kilo bits per second = 768,000 bits per second

Divide 768,000 by 8 to get how many Bytes... = 96000 Bytes

and 96000 divided by 1000 (Kilo) = 96 Kilo Bytes or 96KB WOW

or I could cheat and see that it's already in Kilo bits and divide by 8

768/8 = 96KB  By todays High speed standards, that sucks.  11 seconds or so a MB that's 30-40 seconds for a 3 min MP3

Okay a tricky one for that math wiz

3Mbps okay I like to use the tricks of the trade.  rather than convert a bunch of times make the Mega into Kilo and divide by our crafty bit -> Byte conversion.

3Mbps = 3000Kbps

3000Kbps/8 bits = 375KB

There we go now we get our 3 min MP3 in 10 -15 seconds

Okay well you get the idea.  don't make mistakes with your "B" = Bytes and your "b" = bits and you'll feel good. 

If anyone made it to here I applaud you for listening to my rambling.  I Hope I made someone smarter and the dumb more confused.  Good Day.

daang, lol, its like Cisco class in highschool all over again!  Nice explanation though, i needed a 'review' on that stuff.

• 1 month later...

whoever started this thread should now realize that was a huge lie! never ever got any service increase.. it's still horrible miserable..

at least here in San Diego North County.. horrible miserable loss, ping... and speeds are miserable... 3900/384, adn the TV parts has problems as well. Maybe the res tof you have had service increases, we are getting screwed badly in my area..

:roll:

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 8854 Kbps about 8.9 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1081 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/04/06 - 9:58pm

Bottom Line:: 154X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.95 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 11.25 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 88.34 % faster than the average for host (rr.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-F21PTQID0

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3

• 2 weeks later...

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 3529 Kbps about 3.53 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 431 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 355 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 43 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/04/25 - 3:40pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-2TLMVO5H3

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-WENFZKOGQ

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1) [!]

share-2TLMVO5H3&dual=yes&q2=WENFZKOGQ

mines not too bad... but deffinatly not keeping up with the competition.

Download Connection is:: 6849 Kbps about 6.85 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 836 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 485 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 59 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/04/25 - 6:34pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-27KALGWIZ

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-WERADUNCZ

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.11) Gecko/20070312 Firefox/1.5.0.11 [!]

• 1 year later...

CPU-Z 1.46 report file

Processor(s) 

Number of processors 1

Number of cores 1 per processor

Number of threads 2 per processor

Name Intel Pentium 4

Code Name Prescott

Specification Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz

Package Socket 478 mPGA

Family/Model/Stepping F.3.3

Extended Family/Model F.3

Core Stepping C0

Technology 90 nm

Core Speed 3000.2 MHz

Multiplier x Bus speed 15.0 x 200.0 MHz

Rated Bus speed 800.1 MHz

Stock frequency 3000 MHz

Instruction sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3

L1 Data cache (per processor) 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Trace cache (per processor) 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative

L2 cache (per processor) 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

Chipset & Memory 

Northbridge Intel i865P/PE/G/i848P rev. A2

Southbridge Intel 82801EB (ICH5) rev. 02

Graphic Interface AGP

AGP Revision 3.0

AGP Transfer Rate 8x

AGP Side Band Addressing supported, enabled

Memory Type DDR

Memory Size 512 MBytes

Memory Frequency 200.0 MHz (1:1)

CAS# Latency (tCL) 3.0 clocks

RAS# to CAS# (tRCD) 3 clocks

RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3 clocks

Cycle Time (tRAS) 8 clocks

Performance Mode disabled

System 

System Manufacturer HP Pavilion 061

System Name DQ177A-ABA a450n

System S/N MXM40500G8 NA400

Mainboard Vendor ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Mainboard Model Oxford

BIOS Vendor American Megatrends Inc.

BIOS Version 3.28

BIOS Date 08/27/2004

Memory SPD 

Module 1 DDR, PC3200 (200 MHz), 512 MBytes, Hyundai Electronics

Software 

Windows Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (Build 2600) 

DirectX Version 9.0c

• 11 months later...

I can say that we are seeing 25+ on the download here in KC with Turbo powerboost :icon_pale: but the upload still needs work

Download Connection is:: 21308 Kbps about 21.31 Mbps (tested with 25600 kB)

Download Speed is:: 2601 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 760 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 93 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2009/07/26 - 10:26pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-KS82LGFAQ

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-O8IKJ014N

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/4.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30618; WWTClient2; AskTB5.3) [!]

• 2 months later...

I had road runner turbo 10mb/1mb connection for $30/month with powerbost, up to 15m/3mb for an additional $5/month but i just got rid of powerboost because it's only temporary speed. Powerboost hasn't affected web browsing and also, won't increase bittorrent speeds. Speedtest.net was able to detect my powerboost speed, but oddly testmy's speed test doesn't download at powerboost speeds.

I had road runner turbo 10mb/1mb connection for $30/month with powerbost, up to 15m/3mb for an additional $5/month but i just got rid of powerboost because it's only temporary speed. Powerboost hasn't affected web browsing and also, won't increase bittorrent speeds. [this.site.has.been.blocked.for.spamming] was able to detect my powerboost speed, but oddly testmy's speed test doesn't download at powerboost speeds.

Well sure it does..look at my result! your wrong about bit torrent as well..the speed boost is obvious on all of my downloads...when you use the right trackers.as far as browsing it dont take much to load a browser...3 meg will do just fine its the flash and java that turbo helps load.Sorry to burst your bubble but if you dont see these differences with it you need to clean your machine.

I notice that testmy downloads might start at 5mbps, jump to 14mbps, then hang back around 5.  But that might be network traffic or heavy cpu load?  I have never seen a torrent like program use all of my 10mbps line, but i have touched 7mbps.  From what I understand powerboost only works on files larger then 10MBytes and then its only active for 10 seconds.  Rather disappointing when servers can even feed half of my capacity.

Well sure it does..look at my result! your wrong about bit torrent as well..the speed boost is obvious on all of my downloads...when you use the right trackers.as far as browsing it dont take much to load a browser...3 meg will do just fine its the flash and java that turbo helps load.Sorry to burst your bubble but if you dont see these differences with it you need to clean your machine.

You're not bursting my bubble. I use private trackers where people seed, but even still, i can't get over 10mb on bittorrernt, or above 1mb uploading. And i've understood that powerboost wouldn't affect day to day browsing. Like someone said, speed boost only last one time. I do remember that when i was downloading the windows 7 betas and release candidate off microsoft servers, i got speeds above 15mb. Other than this, i can't tell.  But either way, even tho [this.site.has.been.blocked.for.spamming] detected my powerboost i appreciate that testmy.net didn't detect my powerboost because at least i was able to have a real world situation in my test.