well I finally gave in to vista.....

ninjageek

I finally gave in and put it on my computer to stay. Tell you what its a moody thing with the booting. Its real easy to screw it up and getting it to play nice with xp on the slave drive can be tough. Hope gates fixes that or someone comes up with a program to deal with it. With vista boot pro and the other popular one. You can fix either vista or xp. Not both at the same time.

I just can not see how vista is gonna be friendly to the average user. You either disable uac or it drives you crazy. Changing it around to make it a bit easier to see is kinda hard to. Gotta change the dpi.

Vista is ok fine for the geek. But for the average user I can see them getting rid of it and going to xp. First time they install a program that has to start with vista and vista dosent wanna boot up they are gonna go nuts. I do give vista props for the backing up ability. Backing up is more geek than average user. Geeks know back it up cause it will fail at times. Average users will not bother with it.

I am interested in what you thing about the networking aspect.  My buddies have had nothing but trouble when it comes to VPNs and otheradvanced features. 

Glad you like it… I think you might be one of the few.

I am interested in what you thing about the networking aspect.  My buddies have had nothing but trouble when it comes to VPNs and otheradvanced features. 

Glad you like it… I thing you might be one of the few.

I havent had any problems with VPN's in vista and i use one just about 24/7. If you turn off use default gateway in the settings it works with out a problem.

I installed Vista from a copy I got free through MSDNAA (about 3 weeks ago). What a waste of time. It's just too slow.

Real geeks use Linux and theme the hell out of it. When they finish the amount of used up RAM is less than 200MB.

In fact I just formatted about 3 hours ago. Went back to a small XP partition.

I'd probably have a Vista partition over XP if my system had at least 2GB of RAM.

you do realise dual-booting doesn't mean running two operating systems simultaneously, correct?

to do that you need something like VMWare or MS Virtual PC...

Not sure how you got that from what I wrote but thats cool. I have dual hard drives. Vista on the master and xp on the slave.

Yeah, I got Vista on my new Toshiba Satellite laptop. It runs very smooth on it. Only problem I have is the bottom bar (start menu, clock, etc.) will freeze up once and a while and I will have to mess around and wait until it says Windows Explorer is restarting, or I will have to restart my whole PC in general. It sucks balls, I been googling trying to find the issue, but I haven't came across anything.

Not sure how you got that from what I wrote but thats cool. I have dual hard drives. Vista on the master and xp on the slave.

Looking back, I'm not sure how i got it either.. lol

My guess is I read this "You can fix either vista or xp. Not both at the same time."  as boot, not fix...

Yeah, I got Vista on my new Toshiba Satellite laptop. It runs very smooth on it. Only problem I have is the bottom bar (start menu, clock, etc.) will freeze up once and a while and I will have to mess around and wait until it says Windows Explorer is restarting, or I will have to restart my whole PC in general. It sucks balls, I been googling trying to find the issue, but I haven't came across anything.

Not sure what is going on there. I personally have not had this problem. In fact I haven't had Vista "completely" lock up on me yet. I mean there is still those little hiccups every once in a while, but no worse than with XP.

I installed Vista from a copy I got free through MSDNAA (about 3 weeks ago). What a waste of time. It's just too slow.

Real geeks use Linux and theme the hell out of it. When they finish the amount of used up RAM is less than 200MB.

In fact I just formatted about 3 hours ago. Went back to a small XP partition.

I'd probably have a Vista partition over XP if my system had at least 2GB of RAM.

lol

Just started playing with the dreamscenes. Got some themes. Diffrent. I reckon. Jury is still out on it though. I just hope while there are a few programs that can fix either vista or xp, I hope someone comes up with a way to fix both at the same time so dual booting will not be such a pain. Running 2 gig of dual ram seems like enough. The dreamscenes don't take much on the resource end.

Forusure agree on the lynix thing. That may be my next tackle. Just wish there were not so many choices. Here and there have seen a few examples of some killer stuff visual wise. Not sure how they do it but I will figure it out.

Oh the issues booting had. Trying to set it up on the slave drive was almost impossible. In hind sight. I should of just renamed my drives while still just having xp. Switched the drive letters around. Vista wants your c drive. That was some of the problems.

Its been awhile and I really don't rember why I had all the issues I did. Just rember having them. Again in hind sight some could be blamed on user error. I just think it was a combination of things. Vista will not let you rename your drive letter from c to d. Unless there is something I just don't know. I do recall useing I think vistabootpro to rename "previous version of windows" And changed it to xp pro. vista refused to boot up. Its well behaved now. I got it backed up. I do rember trying to ghost my d drive. Restoring my d drive (xp pro) caused booting issues as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I did too, about five days ago! i have vista ultimate on my laptop now, and i have office 07 corporate to replace office 03 pro. so far i am a really happy guy. it performs really well once you scale back all the useless stuff that starts up on boot. but its a really nice os and so far works better for me that XP did.

ev

a few things i noticed were, Vista boots Three times Faster than XP did for me, resume times from sleep mode are quicker, wireless connects and re connects are faster and smoother, seem to be more reliable. VPN support works awesome so far, and a whole host of grouped together mobile settings that really make life a lot simpler for those of us who are mobile. i am RARELY home to use my computer so mobility is a big deal and Vista seems to really make my life smoother and easier. it runs efficiently and really well on this laptop, and i am really very pleasantly surprised by it. i was a little leary going in, and had heard the bad things about it and was a bit skeptical at first. it won me over though, i wont switch back. i really love it so far, the eye candy,the functionality, the smoothness and reliability/ stability, i really like it. could not be happier.

Its not the only new software im trying though. ive been using AVG forever and decided to give NOD32 a try and i like it so far too. works really well.

I had been using office 2003 pro for work and school for the last couple years and knew it pretty well and liked it. i switched friday when i went to Vista Ultimate from 03 to the new Office 2007 Corporate edition and it rocks, leaps and bounds better too. def worth the upgrade, and i would recommend it to everyone.much better interface and runs smoother and too, and just seems more intuitive to operate.

Also trying out a new peice of security software too. ive had previous freeware versions of the software before but i decided to finally bite the bullet and get teh full version. i use encryption for work and decided to up and get the same program we use at work for my laptop and so far i am not disappointed with it either, at all. the performance of all three peices of software has been really amazing. Ive been running PGP Desktop Enterprise on here, and it integrates seemlessly with outlook 07 and with Vista and with Trillian messenger. full disk encryption, IM encryption, email encryption, and all of it automated. its just remarkable.

i would recommend all three: Vista Ultimate, Office 2007 Corporate, and PGP Desktop Enterprise. all three hit home runs.

ev

Vista is better than XP IMHO but you need the hardware to support it or your not gonna be to happy  :oops: . At least 1 gb ram and a P4 2.5 ghz (or amd equilavant) I think to get enough out of it not to hate it. Forget I'd say also a geforce fx 256 MB video card too.

And to get the full power of vista geforce 7 class card, a dual core proccessor and a gig and a half of ram.

Yeah, i agree, i like vista better. it seems to run smoother, has more features that i use daily, and really like, and generally seems to need less addons to do all i need and work well. seems to perform better on my machine too. plus the eye candy and user friendliness.

ev

yup, i switched last friday to a whole new package of software. dumped xp pro, dumped office 03 pro, dumped AVG, a lot of things.

Installed Vista Ultimate, Office 2007 Corporate Edition, and NOD 32. so far everything is playing really really nice.

I was really surprised. i didnt expect Vista's install to be as easy, effortless, and painless as it was. i was astounded. I didnt expect it to run faster, either, but it does. i also didnt expect my wireless speeds to be better, but they are. a LOT better, and i havent tweaked anything yet. Vista has been a really great surprise.

Office 2007 is really a breath of fresh air too. in 03 certain buttons can be a pain to find and its just not that user friendly and your task bars can end up cluttered and just dont work that great. the changes in office 07 in user friendliness and function are a huge step up. love it.

So far i like NOD 32. havent had any probs, and seems to get good marks, doesnt use up a lot of resources so im pretty happy with it. again, plays very well with Vista.

Also using an encryption program since this is a laptop and data security is important, and so is privacy. Using PGP Desktop Enterprise 9.6 and it is awesome too. again plays super nice with Vista and Outlook, works with gmail and my other accounts, and it encrypts hard drives, thumbdrives, Instant Messenger, and has a ton of other functions. its pretty useful and very strong stuff. if you get the full version, its all automated and you dont even know its there.

ev