Wild Blue Satellite Internet / Wireless Router / PSP Issues

Somebody please help!!!!  I have Wild Blue Satellite Internet and I recently connected a Belkin Wireless-G router to connect my PSP.  I have tried to set up the router just about every possible way and I can access the internet for anywhere from 1 to 7 minutes and then my connection is lost.  Anyone know what I can do differently?  I am open to any suggestions, hopefully something will work.  I am getting very frustrated.

I'm sorry, but you'll have to explain what lease time is and how to check and or set it.  I'm not sure.  That wasn't an option when installing the router.

You will haft to access the router. For example a lot of routers have the ip of 192.168.1.1 so in your address bar you would type http://192.168.1.1 and then type in the routers default login which you would haft to look up on Belkin's site. From there you can see all the settings one of which is the lease time for your IPs.

Also some routers ip is 192.168.1.0

I have Wild Blue Satellite Internet and I recently connected a Belkin Wireless-G router to connect my PSP.

I am on WildBlue Satellite connected with Belkin Wireless-G router F5D7230-4 and have no problems. There are several versions of this router. I have heard that version 7 does not play well with WildBlue.

BTW Belkin routers have by default IP 192.168.2.1

I have Wildblue and use a Linksys Router.  I have used both the Linksys G and the Linksys N.  I also have the most expensive package.  When it was first installed on the cheaper package, with the Linksys, the installer said the speed was higher than normal.  Since I switched to the fastest package, my speed has been slower.  I was told by Wildblue that they did not support the use of a router and was not given the least bit of help.  I live in a rural area so providers are limited.  Any help with speed?

I have Wildblue and use a Linksys Router.  I have used both the Linksys G and the Linksys N.  I also have the most expensive package.  When it was first installed on the cheaper package, with the Linksys, the installer said the speed was higher than normal.  Since I switched to the fastest package, my speed has been slower.  I was told by Wildblue that they did not support the use of a router and was not given the least bit of help.  I live in a rural area so providers are limited.  Any help with speed?

Yep...Lie to them about the router. They are just making excuses not to help you. Don't give them an excuse.

Yep...Lie to them about the router. They are just making excuses not to help you. Don't give them an excuse.

They know if you are using a router, its IP and what make it is.

From the Current Modem Status portal:

CPE MAC        CPE IP         Manufacturer

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx   75.105.xxx.xxx   Belkin Corporation

They know if you are using a router, its IP and what make it is.

From the Current Modem Status portal:

CPE MAC        CPE IP         Manufacturer

xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx   75.105.xxx.xxx   Belkin Corporation

Nah your overestimating them. These are phone techs we're talking about here. They aren't exactly known for their advanced knowledge of the product they are trying to support. 99% of them don't know anymore than what is on the sheet in front of them. :haha:

On my linksys n router, the wireless laptops have good speed and does not lose connection.  It is just the desktop where the Wildblue connection is coming that has super slow speed.  Any suggestions as to this problem?

• 4 months later...

Sounds like a desktop problem then, not a wild blue problem, Not trying to be devils advocate here but some common sense here. If it's comming out of the modem fine then you have a good connection.

They do know that you have a modem connected, your ip shows for the router.

Here's what you do to re-establish a connection using your router.

Unplug everything for at least 2 minutes.

Plug in only the modem and let it achieve a modem lock and new IP address.

Plug in the power of  your router and let it achive the IP address as well.

Now power on your computer and let it obtain the IP address from it.

Router's will keep the old IP address if your modem goes off and back on, the modem will have a different IP address and you will get slow speeds if any.

If all else fails it's probably pebuac.

I am new to this forum as well as a new Wild Blue Subscriber with the same problem. I have found several post on other sites referring to the need to change the MTU parameter. I can't give you the exact number now for sure but 1472 sticks in my head. I have yet to test this theory. Hope it helps.

I use wildblue as well... I have the least expensive connection they sell about 50.00 a month for the 512K package... I use a linksys router....

The router has nothing to do with your satelite connection speeds for the satelite speed even at it's fastest D/L U/L speeds isn't as fast as what the router can handle. Wireless routers are capable of 54 which is much higher then the satelite is capable of sending.

WildBlue uses a CONFIG file script.... do you have that script typed in? http://www.wpad.wildblue.com/wpad.dat

They also take the satelite offline at regular intervals for several hours at a time for they are attempting to upgrade the satelite to handle 500k suscribers by January 08.

Do you use these settings for your local area connection?

Prefered DNS server 75.105.128.61

Prefered WINS server 127.0.0.1

The other thing that makes a difference is also the WINDOWS you run  on your system and since you didn't mention it..... for VISTA users... the WILDBLUE optimizer is NOT compatable and actually doesn't optimize anything...all it does is writes that script file to the proper location on your computer as well as add 3 icons to your desktop if you run a different version of windows like XP.

Again I only use the 512K cheapest package available from WILDBLUE and here are my scores:

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 118023 Kbps about 118.02 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 14407 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 33 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 4 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/09/06 - 10:41pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7DIEZ29PM

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1JC0GRBF3

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

1:51am 9/07/07

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 120304 Kbps about 120.3 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 14686 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 37 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 5 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/09/06 - 10:50pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QW0YLDOM3

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7DS89T3EX

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

As you see I have a great D/L speed, and it's the U/L speed that is SLOW.

When you run your U/L - D/L test  on this site you need to have ANY optimizer disabled.... the other thing that also effects your test results is if you are running a virus scanner at the time of running the tests as well.

Most ROUTERS have a 24 hour disconnect "LEASE" in them. To see what yours is at... in your browser window type in YOUR ISP address... .example: 192.168.2.0...... that should take you to the website  and allow you to set configurations there for your router. If you Don't know your ISP of your ROUTER.... click on START... then click on CONTROL PANEL, then click on NETWORK CONNECTIONS.. from there is should show you the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

( default name you may possibly have named yours something else)

CLICK on your LAC  and then click on SUPPORT tab to see and if you wish you can click DETAILS tab to see more information... the DETAIL tab will show you the "LEASE" information ( normally 24 hours) as well as the ISP,  SUBNET MASK, DEFAULT GATEWAY, PREFERED DNS, and the WINS information

One other thing about using a ROUTER.... if you do not use the DHCP ENABLED then you have to MANUALLY SET up the configurations on EACH individual computer connected to the router so that they EACH show a separate ISP address.....

Hope this helps....

I use wildblue as well... I have the least expensive connection they sell about 50.00 a month for the 512K package... I use a linksys router....

The router has nothing to do with your satelite connection speeds for the satelite speed even at it's fastest D/L U/L speeds isn't as fast as what the router can handle. Wireless routers are capable of 54 which is much higher then the satelite is capable of sending.

WildBlue uses a CONFIG file script.... do you have that script typed in? http://www.wpad.wildblue.com/wpad.dat

They also take the satelite offline at regular intervals for several hours at a time for they are attempting to upgrade the satelite to handle 500k suscribers by January 08.

Do you use these settings for your local area connection?

Prefered DNS server 75.105.128.61

Prefered WINS server 127.0.0.1

The other thing that makes a difference is also the WINDOWS you run  on your system and since you didn't mention it..... for VISTA users... the WILDBLUE optimizer is NOT compatable and actually doesn't optimize anything...all it does is writes that script file to the proper location on your computer as well as add 3 icons to your desktop if you run a different version of windows like XP.

Again I only use the 512K cheapest package available from WILDBLUE and here are my scores:

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 118023 Kbps about 118.02 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 14407 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 33 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 4 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/09/06 - 10:41pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7DIEZ29PM

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1JC0GRBF3

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

1:51am 9/07/07

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 120304 Kbps about 120.3 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 14686 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 37 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 5 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/09/06 - 10:50pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-QW0YLDOM3

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-7DS89T3EX

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

As you see I have a great D/L speed, and it's the U/L speed that is SLOW.

When you run your U/L - D/L test  on this site you need to have ANY optimizer disabled.... the other thing that also effects your test results is if you are running a virus scanner at the time of running the tests as well.

Most ROUTERS have a 24 hour disconnect "LEASE" in them. To see what yours is at... in your browser window type in YOUR ISP address... .example: 192.168.2.0...... that should take you to the website  and allow you to set configurations there for your router. If you Don't know your ISP of your ROUTER.... click on START... then click on CONTROL PANEL, then click on NETWORK CONNECTIONS.. from there is should show you the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

( default name you may possibly have named yours something else)

CLICK on your LAC  and then click on SUPPORT tab to see and if you wish you can click DETAILS tab to see more information... the DETAIL tab will show you the "LEASE" information ( normally 24 hours) as well as the ISP,  SUBNET MASK, DEFAULT GATEWAY, PREFERED DNS, and the WINS information

One other thing about using a ROUTER.... if you do not use the DHCP ENABLED then you have to MANUALLY SET up the configurations on EACH individual computer connected to the router so that they EACH show a separate ISP address.....

Hope this helps....

There is no way in hell............ :?

• 8 months later...

Kol is trying to make his / her self look better off than he / she is but that problem does exist.

Im talking about the slow upload speed. You will not get very high speeds on uploading with satillite internet due to tracert

tracert is the time delay it takes for the data to be sent from your satillite, to the satillite in space, then back to your ISP which is wildblue, then filters through the trace servers untill it reachs the server your uploading too. That is why your upload speed is slow. If your expecting your upload speed to be as fast or faster than your download speed then you are a person with a great imagination or a serious drug problem one lol.

Heres my problem with wildblue.

There staff has a serious lack of training. No one there knows what there doing. I had a modem go bad, they came out and clamied that my modem was good, that the problem was in my pc. Well I own bm custom computers and repairs, so there bull shit answer didnt settle with me. I was at work and my wife was at home when the guy came. She called me and told me what was going on while the guy was still there. I told her to tell him that i had already tried 3 different computers and the modem was not being detected on any of them.  After the guy messed arround here for over 3 hours I finally got him to realize it was a bad modem. Finally they said they would order me a new modem and come back when they recived the modem. 3 weeks later they return with the new modem. Again i was at my regular job so my wife calls me. The guy can not get the modem to work. I told him that he had to call wildblue and have them put the mac address of the new modem on my account before it would work. I tried to explain to him that if the modem mac address and the satillite serial numbers didnt match on wildblues database, the modem would not transmit. The guy kept saying that the modems are ready to go as soon as they come out of the box. He called it "PLUG AND PLAY" Of course I had a laugh on that, a guy thats suppose to be a professional didnt know nothing. Finally I got tired of argueing with him and I hung up. I immeadantly called wildblue tech support and told them what the guy was doing wrong. Well they argued with me about it to, finally after they did some research they seen that i was right. So I gave them my home phone number so they can call before the tech left to tell him to listen to me. So a few minutes later the tech calls my cell phone from my home phone. And I had to tell him step by step on how to do a modem swap. My internet was down for almost 2 months all together because they didnt know how to fix it and I had to tell them how.

My parents have wildblue at there house and was having problems with there transit, again basically the same thing, I had to tell them how to fix it.

Kol is trying to make his / her self look better off than he / she is but that problem does exist.

Im talking about the slow upload speed. You will not get very high speeds on uploading with satillite internet due to tracert

tracert is the time delay it takes for the data to be sent from your satillite, to the satillite in space, then back to your ISP which is wildblue, then filters through the trace servers untill it reachs the server your uploading too. That is why your upload speed is slow. If your expecting your upload speed to be as fast or faster than your download speed then you are a person with a great imagination or a serious drug problem one lol.

It wasn't Kol, it was ladiasya  :wink:

Thats a pretty good story, and not hard to believe at all.  I wonder how they pass there tests before being thrown into the real world application like that.

But then they would have to pay them professional wages, and the price of internet would have to go up also. Its all about bottom lines.  :evil6: 

No not butt lines. Bottom lines.  :cheesy: