HP

clayjjojo

I was given a HP pavilion 513x it has a AMD Athlon XP 1700+ 1.47GHz, 224 MB of ram .

I just reinstalled windows xp with sp2 and i have CA Security Center for the protection . I was on hp web site to see how much ram i can have and it was 2gigs is there any way to boost up the processor ? I also have Cable Nut on it

You are going to have to research thw motherboard first to see what other processors are supported by the chipset.  Then check out tigerdirect..  to see what they have in the AMD stuff.  The problem is that AMD does not make the Athlon XP anymore.  So you are going to end up buying an OEM processor, if you can even find one.

Guest PeePs

i betcha its got a socket 939 motherboard and you can definately get a faster processor for it. Just go to the HP website and search that model number, and then go to tigerdirect and search for CPU's with the same socket type. I betcha you can get a processor with a lot more power for under $150. But then again it is an HP and you have no idea with kind of **** they put in those.

You're going to notice a staggering change just by putting in some more ram. Go with a lower voltage than what you have Proc if you can find one, I upgraded my poopy e-machines Xp2600 mobile to a 2800 mobile that was a lower voltage chip, saved some power, saved some heat, gained battery life... I also jumped from 512 to 2gb of ram, and it made the darn thing usable again!