I Can't Get My Internet Working!

Torque

Hey guys, new here. Nice to meet you all. I'm having trouble getting my connection to work. Well actually my dad's friend is so he brought it to me, and I usually know what to do, but this time I don't, so I'm going to need your help. The ISP would be Cox Communications. I've attempted updating NIC drivers. The NIC is a Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Nothing was happening at all before the driver updated. I get "Network cable unplugged" when viewing Network Connections. After updating drivers, and viewing the connection's properties, usually 6 packets are sent and none are received. Eventually, the 100Mbps, drops down to 10Mbps, and then when it's down to 0, I get "Network cable unplugged" again. When typing ipconfig in cmd, it says "Windows IP Configuration. An internal error occured: The request is not supported. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help. Additional information: Unable to query host name." I get then when I click repair too under network connections and when trying to install drivers for the modem with the Cox cd. My dad's friends have never gotten it to work. They have only bought Cox pretty recently, and couldn't get the connection going, so he just brought it over here to try it with our modem which does indeed work. I couldn't get it fixed, does anybody have a solution? Thanks for your time.

HI cmoore!

I have that identical NIC. With the "Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC" updated to that 'salad' at the end of the name with the floppy that came with the device but was UNABLE to find an update link/mirror to get any supposedly newer drivers. That was last night.

I'm having no trouble accessing the internet but have been experiencing fairly frequent cable modem disconnects of the *reboots itself* variety...that's why I went looking for NIC updates in hope of solving that. I'm not sure that would even help with the dis/re/connects the modem's been doing all too often (again) lately. But I gave it some thought. If I get any bright :idea:ideas on *your* issues I'll post back. I've been knee deep in NIC many hours last night.

Uh..of course you've been into Device Manager/Network Adaptor/Properties/Power Management/ and depending on your usage...'can' (dis)-'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power'.

...and, of course in your Network options/TCP/IP 'Realtek...'/Properties/Advanced/ (all items there deserve a hard look) I'm presently using "0" in Early Tx Threshold, as an example for slight boost in the NIC's performance. Should be including the link to the site that advised that...several 2nd-ed that e-motion there so, didn't hurt at least. 'Link speed/duplex mode' is Auto here...but I digress, I'm sure you're an even abler Googler than myself and each of our setups are different to some degree. Luck to you!

Hmmmmmm

Hey guys, new here. Nice to meet you all. I'm having trouble getting my connection to work. Well actually my dad's friend is so he brought it to me, and I usually know what to do, but this time I don't, so I'm going to need your help. The ISP would be Cox Communications. I've attempted updating NIC drivers. The NIC is a Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC. Nothing was happening at all before the driver updated. I get "Network cable unplugged" when viewing Network Connections. After updating drivers, and viewing the connection's properties, usually 6 packets are sent and none are received. Eventually, the 100Mbps, drops down to 10Mbps, and then when it's down to 0, I get "Network cable unplugged" again. When typing ipconfig in cmd, it says "Windows IP Configuration. An internal error occured: The request is not supported. Please contact Microsoft Product Support Services for further help. Additional information: Unable to query host name." I get then when I click repair too under network connections and when trying to install drivers for the modem with the Cox cd. My dad's friends have never gotten it to work. They have only bought Cox pretty recently, and couldn't get the connection going, so he just brought it over here to try it with our modem which does indeed work. I couldn't get it fixed, does anybody have a solution? Thanks for your time.

Often with NIC problems, a simple uninstall & reboot will fix the issue.  If you are running XP or better, Windows will reinstall the NIC on reboot.  If there is a driver problem, this is a good step to try (at least rule out).

The speeds you're referring to (100Mbps, 10Mpbs) are not necessarily the speed of the connection, but the speed of the NIC.  You may want to specify the speed and duplex of the NIC, as it is probably set to "Auto" by default.

Step 7 from [sTICKY] STOP! Before you post your problems read this!

7. Never Connect to your modem via USB ! Always connect to your modem via ethernet (NIC) and make sure you have the latest drivers for your NIC. Set your NIC duplex mode to 10mb half duplex for Cable, for DSL it depends on the ISP service unless you are using a router, if so then set it to 100mb full duplex for both Cable & DSL. If you are using a router make sure you have the latest firmware.

Just ask if you have any further questions on this.

Well, I tried the 10mb half duplex for a few tests and went back to 'auto'. Probably just a fluke but seems to 'handle' the speed tests better that way. I have Cox Premier and often get 14xxx + on TMN for dnld. Others do better, but I'm pretty happy with that.

Hope you get sorted Torque. Thanks all. As usual, best place to get help and feedback!!

Right here :wink:

Often with NIC problems, a simple uninstall & reboot will fix the issue.  If you are running XP or better, Windows will reinstall the NIC on reboot.  If there is a driver problem, this is a good step to try (at least rule out).

The speeds you're referring to (100Mbps, 10Mpbs) are not necessarily the speed of the connection, but the speed of the NIC.  You may want to specify the speed and duplex of the NIC, as it is probably set to "Auto" by default.

Step 7 from [sTICKY] STOP! Before you post your problems read this!

Just ask if you have any further questions on this.

The reinstall and reboot didn't fix the problem. Yes, it was set to auto, 100 Mbps full or half duplex, I don't really know. However, I actually just reformatted and am seeing a bit of progress. It is set to 10 Mbps half duplex, but still no complete success. I'm actually getting something when I enter in ipconfig though. I get the IP Address and Subnet Mask, but no DNS or Gateway. Before, like I said, I was just getting that message about being unable to query the host name and TCP/IP problems. When I view connection status, I am able to get much more than 6 packets sent which is an improvement, but still none are received. Limited/No Connection. Anything else I can try?

Also, thanks mogramjo.

You're welcome Torque...I'malways wishing our TMN folks find solutions or at least clues from this clue-farm.

As a footnote to my earlier post...just tweedling :grin: (as opposed to tweaking) I re-Googled on the 'Early tx threahold' recommendations, which abound and can be pretty technical. I learned that though it, (RTL8139) installed itself' at 15 originally and I yesterday changed it to 0...the actual 'default value' is supposedly 38...so, I'm a real ordinary person when I can get away with it and '38' for whatever it's worth is now what I've set it at. It hasn't hurt my throughput dn or up. Seems a bit better.

I can't do the analysis of what the 'ideal' number should be for every blessed thing. Just a follow up thought while we're in there tinkering. :grin:

[nerd]