D-Link Router

igarek77

Hello All,

Wanted to ask a question about this situation that I have. I have a business office that I support, the office has a D-Link DI-624 router. The office has 5 laptops that have wireless connectivity and one desktop that's connected directly to the router/modem. Lately they have been having this issue. :shocked: One of the laptops would not renew an IP address. The message that keeps coming up is that that IP address is used by another computer. Wait untill it's going to be released from that computer. The range of the IP addresses on the router is from 100 - 199. So basically there's room for all those IP's. What could be the issue? Should I just try to assign static IP to laptops and have less headaches???

Any input would be appreciated.....or if you need more info.

P.S. Latest firmware is on all the adapters and the router.

That's what I was just thinking. I'm just wondering why in the world would the router all of a sudden have a conflict and try to assign the same IP address to 2 PC's?

Thats something that is a windows problem that got fixed in vista. Its something to do with DHCP.

From a security standpoint... I would highly recommend pooling IPs for only the max number of wireless clients you expect on the network at one time.  This will help in the detection of an intrusion and also prevent access if someone is able to crack you encryption.  All wired computers should be static, as they dont move around.  Just some thoughts.