My New Machine

Swimmer

As many of you know, or have read about, I have had issues with my Dell Inspiron 8600 for quite some time.  Well it is all over.  The machine has been exchanged for a new Dell Latitude D830.  I know that I bashed Dell over the quality of the Inspiron and the poor support.  Since being contacted by a Dell Represenative about my posts I have seen a complete 180* turn around.  I now have a 'personal' contact at Dell who is willing to go out of his way to make sure that my system lives up to my/Dell's expections.

So what did I get exactly? 

I decided to go with a Dell Latitude D830 which was released in May.  It is based on the latest Centrino chipset, GM965, which is code named Santa Rosa.  Here are the Specs of the system:

• Intel Core Duo 2 T7100 @ 1.8GHz
  • An awesome 1920x1200 15.4" Wide Screen
  • Intel x3100 graphics (256MB
  • 2GB DDR2 PC2-5300 (2x1GB)
  • Hitachi 80GB 7200 RPM Hard drive
  • Intel 3945 A/B/G Wireless
  • Broadcom 10/100/1000 Ethernet
  • 8x DVD-R

Overall I am extremely happy with the system.  I elected to go with Windows XP Professional instead of Vista.  The build quality is a huge upgrade from the Inspiron.  It is solid, professional looking, and fairly light weight.  Seeing how this is a buisness laptop it is not a graphic performer.  That being said I am able to watch Quicktime HD moves at the 1080i setting without any lagging.  Something that I was not able to do before. 

The system is also extremely quick!  I didn't think that dual core would make that much of a difference.  Well if you are considering making the move to a dual core system I would highly recommend it!  The speed increase is unreal.  No more slowdowns while the virus scans are running, being able to Alt+Tab at any time, and having the extra little boost when launching apps.

Sorry about the crappy resolution.. My phone camera is all that I have right now.

:smile2: Glad it worked out OK Swimmer, my old ( antique Dell latitude 750 MHz) , is still doing the biz  as a back up ,  8 years on , slow , yes but it gets there , eventually ,

everyones laptop beats the ass of mine  :lol:, but it is still running  with no problems ,

1920x1200 on 15 inch screen? omg.

Yah that's kind of what I was thinking. A little overkill there. I seriously doubt the eye can tell the difference between 1440x900 and 1920x1200. Oh well better to have too much than too little.

Yah that's kind of what I was thinking. A little overkill there. I seriously doubt the eye can tell the difference between 1440x900 and 1920x1200. Oh well better to have too much than too little.

The eye can tell the difference for sure. 1440x900 is barley even considered high def. 1920x1200 is only 1080p. With the higher resolution you get a much bigger work space.

Hmm...Never seen 1080p on a 15in so I guess I will just haft to take your word for it. :cool:

A laptop monitor is alittle different then a desktop monitor.

There are also quality levels of the monitor. A cheap/standard laptop is just going to have a XGA display. there are SXGA (super XGA) and UXGA (Ultra XGA) They are much better displays because they go to a higher Res. You pay extra for them.

There are desktop displays that are like this as well. You pay alot more for them tho. The monitor i'm on right now is a 22" at 1920x1200. Normally on a standard LCD it would be 1680x1050 but this is a high end monitor.