Alright, PLEASE HELP ME WITH MY WIRELESS CONNECTION WISE MEN/WOMEN

Hinch87

Alright, so here it goes....i have comcast internet in my house and we are promised the 11 Mbps package.....well first off my comp downstairs (which is wired) gets 2.4 Mbps and my laptop gets this crap at the bottom.  Now i know wireless is not suppose to be fast as wired but my god, that slow? give me a break.  I have tried tweaking it with some of the programs i have seen in these forums but nothing works.  My wireless is intel PROset/wireless 2100 (802.11b) and i dont know what the problem is.  I have norton plus zonealarm and cleard my comp of spyware...also sometimes when i roll my mouse over the wireless symbole in the system tray it goes from 11 Mbps to 54 Mbps, so does anyone know what the possible problem could be???  maybe update the drivers for my wireless on my wired comp??? PLEASE HELP 

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 245 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 30 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/06/11 - 6:55pm

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 34.13 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 12.937 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 4.29 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-5K7Y41DUS

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

my speed after all the cablenut/clean the pc guides on my 56k modem......... :cry:

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 28 Kbps about 0.03 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 3 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 23 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 3 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/06/11 - 7:28pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-2JNV6GBFA

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-UAJO6HKX5

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1)

No it is not the problem..  The Intel 2200 B/G is a 802.11 G compatable card. So you are set there.  If you are using a 802.11 G router then you have more than enough bandwidth to support Comcast's speeds and should be getting about 75-80% of wired speed.  The first think that I would do would be to power cycle the router.   Next how many other wireless networks are in your area?   If there are a ton then you are going to want to move your network to a different channel to prevent interference.  Lastly download TCP optimizer, search google for it, and move the top bar to 10000Kbps on the bottom right click Optimial and where the drop box is for the adaptor select the wireless one.

Also while you are at it could you post a tracert to testmy.net?  Start -> Run -> type cmd press enter -> type tracert testmy.net

If you want to download the latest drivers, which you might want to do, here is the link.. http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1637

power cycle??? im sorry, but what do you exactly mean with that??? and i have ran the TCP optimizer and done that because i have seen you write that in other peoples post and nothing happened....maybe i should call comcast?? and no there are not a tone of wireless comps in my area....i have two desktops...and one is hooked up to the modem and the other is connected to wireless and my laptop is wireless as well....but i mean.. 0.2 Mbps is really slow so there has to be a problem here...like when i move my mouse over the wireless icon in the system tray is says 11.0 Mbps....but it def is not running at that speed

802.11B is also fine.. you are going to be pushing the limits of the throughput but you should still have better speeds than what you are seeing.

To post the tracert right click and select mark.. Then highlight the area and then press enter.

Power cycle means unplug the device for 1 - 2 minutes.

Once you post the tracert we will know if you need to call Comcast.

Download Connection is:: 2406 Kbps about 2.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 294 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/06/12 - 3:51pm

Bottom Line:: 42X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.48 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 10.188 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 42.15 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-R2WZOTP6C

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322) [!]

Well i called comcast and here and i did a power cycle and i improved from .2- 2.4  Mbps....however, i am on the 6 Mbps package and i am not getting that....maybe it is the time of day???  It is also with zone alarm and norton running...so that could be a problem as well...let me know what you think... and here is my tracert

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:Documents and SettingsKyle>tracert testmy.net

Tracing route to testmy.net [67.18.179.85]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    *        *        *    Request timed out.

2    19 ms    11 ms    11 ms  GE-2-2-ur01.elmhurst.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.

86.115.177]

3    18 ms    11 ms    *    te-9-3-ar01.elmhurst.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.

87.230.81]

4    13 ms    14 ms    14 ms  te-3-2-ar01.area4.il.chicago.comcast.net [68.87.

230.9]

5    23 ms    16 ms    16 ms  68.86.90.174

6    18 ms    17 ms    16 ms  68.86.90.173

7    22 ms    14 ms    16 ms  te-9-2.car2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.71.182.49]

8    32 ms    17 ms    17 ms  ae-31-51.ebr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.68.101.30]

9    59 ms    53 ms    40 ms  ae-3.ebr2.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.61]

10    49 ms    50 ms    53 ms  ae-1-100.ebr1.Denver1.Level3.net [4.69.132.37]

11    62 ms    54 ms    55 ms  ae-2.ebr1.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.69.132.106]

12    *        *        *    Request timed out.

13    63 ms    64 ms    57 ms  THE-PLANET.car4.Dallas1.Level3.net [4.71.122.2]

14    65 ms    57 ms    57 ms  te7-2.dsr02.dllstx3.theplanet.com [70.87.253.26]

15    69 ms    59 ms    58 ms  4e.fd.5746.static.theplanet.com [70.87.253.78]

16    59 ms    57 ms    57 ms  gi1-0-2.car17.dllstx4.theplanet.com [67.18.116.8

5]

17    63 ms    57 ms    57 ms  55.b3.1243.static.theplanet.com [67.18.179.85]

Trace complete.

C:Documents and SettingsKyle>

Ahh.. the elmhurst area.. I live in Libertyville or use to before coming to college.. Eitherway you should be able to pull 8000Kbps.  Fire up TCP Optimizer and try it again. 

The tracert looks pretty clean so Comcast is not the issue... What type of router are you using?

Download Connection is:: 2402 Kbps about 2.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 293 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/06/12 - 4:53pm

Bottom Line:: 42X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.49 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 10.203 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 42.08 % of your hosts average (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1UCGDNKIY

hmmm nothing really changed....i slided the bar over to 100000 or whatever it was and i chose my wireless router and optimal settings and it stayed the same....any other suggestions?

alright, another problem....so i have been able to get to 2.4 Mbps as you can see which is alright (but i would like to get that higher), but now everytime my internet turns off on my comp (i shut the laptop or shut it down) it for some reason resets back to what i was getting before...0.2 Mbps..and the only way to fix this is to go to my desktop computer which is connected to cable modem and router and take out the ethernet cable which connects both of them and then connect the ethernet to my laptop...run a test...and then i shut off the cable modem, router and my comp.....recconect the ethernet from the modem to the router and then i enable the wireless in my laptop again and i can get 2.4 Mbps....i mean my god...i dont want to have to do that everytime....SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.....

alright..  So you have 2 computer.. A desktop that is connected to the router and a laptop that is wireless. 

The modem should run to the WAN port on the router and then the desktop should be in LAN port 1.. You should be able to pull speeds simular to what you can get with just the modem.. What type of router do you have?  I am starting to wonder if it needs to be reflashed.. Do you loose wireless connectivity or just the internet?  You wouldn't happen to have a 2.4Ghz phone or a microwave near the router would you?

i have a BEFW11S4 Version 2 router....sometimes i lose wireless...and when im connected im at 0.2 Mbps and no...i dont have a microwave or phone on the same floor as the router....you think my router downstairs needs to be config differently? because i am connected to the internet...so i think i need to do something with the router...and yes i have a laptop and a desktop with the router....thank you for posting

Firmware can *sometimes* help. If they have a revision 'readme' it will definitely tell you. If you're not a subscriber to Comcasts' home networking service, they'll only refer you to your router manufacturer. Most of my calls ~ 70% are router related. The best they can to is test the packet loss on your cm (cable modem). If it's anything above 1%, I'd raise an eyebrow.

Here are some reasons why the connection is so bad.

1. You have a 2 story house.

2. It's a small factor, but the router could be at it's end. I'd doubt that, unless you have it sitting on some other eq's and it's pullin in some heat.

3. With wifi, its a given you will lose packets in the air. Don't expect to have the best connection. I tell the ps3 and xbox gamers that all the time. (You'd figure that huh?!) And you're right, it's not suppose to be so significant, but if you're insanely addictive like most the people here, you'll balk at wifi.

4. Perhaps the mom's had rearranged the furniture lately? Hung a huge mirror on the wall? I know it's silly, but it's true, it's radio freqencies in the air and they're not specifically looking for your cpu.

5. Any internal wifi antenna (built-in) will most likely be weak. Pulling less than 2db, no more. External/bidirectional antennas are the best.

6. The most important...  For such a weak connection, I would take your computer and directly hardwire it to the modem and test the connection from there. That's going to tell you where you're at and what device is at fault. There's definitely something wrong, and I think the wifi can only hinder so much.

Best of luck, and let us know.