Vista to XP

jamaicarocks

Wuz up,

I have a clients computer to convert from Win Vista to WinXp, but installing via autorun in Windows doesnt work, and when boot from XP cd an try to format, it cant see the drive.Any reasons why please. I need to delete Vista an install xp.

Model Laptop:

IBM T60p

Thanks !

jamaicarocks

Most likely there is a SATA drive in that laptop so you will need to integrate the drivers into your xp install cd i use a program called nlite to do this its free and you can make the disc unattended as well as add things like IE7 and all of the updates to make your life after install easier you also need to worry about finding xp drivers for all of the hardware most of your major players are only supporting vista on their new laptops so getting the drivers from the website is almost a no go unless you are lucky. i have done the remove vista dance a few times myself and its a pain in the neck but its worth it although I am currently running vista ultimate in a dual boot config (using swimmers most helpful tutorial on dual booting linux and xp) main this is have a working computer near you which im sure you already know just in case you have problems finding drivers my suggestion would be to try and find your driver for xp first then integrate them into your install cd so as not to have to hunt for them later

ha random

i cant find the freaking drivers for a dell 4700 im working on atm

cant install windows xp, it sucks, it will format the disc, then when it copies the files it says like "The file "blah.dll" was not copied correctly"

any help would be tight, not trying to hijack either

edit: ah memory might have gone bad

jamaicarocks

Most likely there is a SATA drive in that laptop so you will need to integrate the drivers into your xp install cd i use a program called nlite to do this its free and you can make the disc unattended as well as add things like IE7 and all of the updates to make your life after install easier you also need to worry about finding xp drivers for all of the hardware most of your major players are only supporting vista on their new laptops so getting the drivers from the website is almost a no go unless you are lucky. i have done the remove vista dance a few times myself and its a pain in the neck but its worth it although I am currently running vista ultimate in a dual boot config (using swimmers most helpful tutorial on dual booting linux and xp) main this is have a working computer near you which im sure you already know just in case you have problems finding drivers my suggestion would be to try and find your driver for xp first then integrate them into your install cd so as not to have to hunt for them later

ever heard of commas there buddy? haha jk :)

Depending on the age of the XP disk (I know this sounds werid), it may not see your drives/partitions. I had a very old XP Home edition disk I was trying to install on a computer with Vista and it wouldn't recognize any of the drives. I used a newer XP disk (SP2) that I had (got them mixed up in the first place) and it could see them. More than likely you may want to use some sort of partition manager that can boot off of in order to delete the partition and make one that the disk can recognize. I could be wrong but I'm just going by my own experience and what happened (this was not a SATA drive, so there were no drivers that needed installing).

jamaicarocks ,

glad it helped let me know if you need more

brock01,

i think you are right with your assumption about bad memory. I have had that happen to me numerous times when formatting and reinstalling. I would be working on 2 separate computers with 2 copies of the same disc one would give me errors. What I do usually is if there are 2 sticks i pluck out one and install it after windows is done usually works but if its for a customer i recommend getting new ram