Hughesnet Speeds?

rjventre

Over the past couple of days, I have noticed a huge speed decrease during the daytime hours. I ran a speed test on the Hughesnet site and it said I was getting 1201 kbps down and 276 up. I then ran another test on testmy.net and it said my speeds were 184 kbps down and 270 up. How can the two tests be so different? When I go to download a file off of the internet, I can only download at about 35 KB/sec which reflects the speed I was getting off of testmy.net. I called Hughes and they said the tests on their site looked fine, so there was nothing that they could do. But, the test are apparently not accurate on their site, so, what should I do? Has anyone else been having problems lately? I am on AMC9 with a Small Office plan. Your responses will be appreciated.

Thanks,

rjventre

Just a thought rjventre. Do you clean out your cache before testing?

Top of browser, Tools*Internet Options*Delete Files Including Offline Content*OK*OK* now test again.  :?:

When was the last time you restarted your modem. Pull cable from modem, touch the end with your finger for 10+ seconds and reinstall it back in.

Just a few dway tricks I did daily.  :grin2:

Tommie, I have restarted my modem, force ranged it, and cleared my cache. I did not touch the cables to my fingers because it is grounded 3 times, so there is very little chance of stattic electricity. Ghostmaster, I am on AMC9 990MHz. I think that is the transponder, if it is not let me know. Please reply back with yuor thoughts as to what is going on.

Thanks,

rjventre

Interesting topic. 

I joined Hughesnet 2 months ago and I'm also on AMC9 (1310Mhz).

The speed has been very disappointing, but their test also show me running AOK.

Today I found Mytest.net and it clocks me in at <200K.

I spent a couple of hours on the phone with tech support.  After doing all the resets and ranging, they went down the path of virus and spyware.  In the end, they seem to reconginze there is a problem, but haven't a clue what it is....

I'll keep you posted on my progress :(

Thanks for the post genovesea. Personally, I am starting to think that Hughes just overloaded the transponders on AMC9. According to the installers, Hughes assigns a new default satellite every month to the installers and that is where they put the new customers for that month. This is provided the individual customer can be pointed to that satellite. But, I may be wrong; I will call the NOC tomorrow and chew them out, maybe they can tell me something. If anyone else has any thoughts on what the problem may be, please post.

Im on AMC9 1290, no slow downs here.  How long has this been going on?  The transponder you are on won't be the "default" transponder.  That would only affect residential accounts, not the small business customers.  My guess is there is an overloaded gateway, not transponder.  If that is the case, the only thing you can get done is have your tranponder changed.  I don't know if they can just change your gateway or not.

gm

I don't know which transponder I am on, because I am at work and just happen to come across this site, but I have the Home Pro Plus plan and have noticed a huge decrese in speed also....Some pages won't even load. 

Has anyone heard of any issues with hughesnet this week?  I think my problems started on Sunday or Monday

Well, I called Hughes today and told them what kind of problems I was having and they looked at my speed tests and said everything looked normal. I told them that there tests were not accurate and it looked like they just overloaded their gateways again. Then they told me something that I just had to laugh at, they said they never overload any of there equipment and that as long as I could connect to the internet I was in good shape because speeds are not guaranteed. Well I guess thats what kind of service you get for paying $100 a month. Maybe I will win the lottery and buy my own satellite. Thanks for nothing Hughes!!!

Well, I called Hughes today and told them what kind of problems I was having and they looked at my speed tests and said everything looked normal. I told them that there tests were not accurate and it looked like they just overloaded their gateways again. Then they told me something that I just had to laugh at, they said they never overload any of there equipment and that as long as I could connect to the internet I was in good shape because speeds are not guaranteed. Well I guess thats what kind of service you get for paying $100 a month. Maybe I will win the lottery and buy my own satellite. Thanks for nothing Hughes!!!

:lol: Sorry, from where I am sitting (just freshly getting off of that damned Dway setup) it is a bit humoruous. Best just start looking around while fulfilling your contract. That was what I did. Plus come in here often and gripe (that did me a lot of good to share it) and now...I am on EVDO and not going back.  :smiley:

So you have tried everything in this forum?

http://www.testmy.net/t-4257

I don't suppose you would want to post a speed test from here would you?

Well Tommie, I fulfilled my contract in February of this year, but unfortunately I have to stick with Hughes because its either that or dial up. Sprint and Verizon don't cover my area; Cingular does but I am not in their Edge network coverage area so the most I can get out of their network is 140k down. On dial-up I can usually get between 5-10k down and the only other option is Wildblue. I have tried everything in the forum that you posted and I will post a speed test. Now keep in mind that I am testing the speed at 12:05 a.m. It gets worse during the day.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1491 Kbps about 1.5 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Download Speed is:: 182 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/06/15 - 10:05pm

Bottom Line:: 26X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 5.63 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 8.219 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 40.53 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-X5K0ROFJA

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; Media Center PC 5.0) [!]

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 277 Kbps about 0.3 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 34 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/06/15 - 10:07pm

Bottom Line:: 5X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 30.12 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 17.141 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 154.13 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-HLAI72G3U

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; Media Center PC 5.0) [!]

I am on small buissness as well and AMC9 but a different transpnder and for about 2 weeks to a month Testmy's test has been off. When I test it starts out great but the starts getting the download in chunks of about 20% instead of smoothly testing. For me I know it is something on my computer or a problem with test my or my modem because actual download speeds are still running 100 to 200 Kbps down which isnt bad in my book. I don't know the formula to figure that up in advertised speeds but I think that would run about 1000 to 1700 down. My up speed is never changing at 270 to 280. I am thinking this was a modem update and it is screwing with the test sites but I cant prove it, is really just a suspicion. I should also note that speakeasy and PcPitstop measures my down speed clos to the same as hughes test does. It pretty much seems to be this sites test which is a shame because it has always been my favorite. At least it still accuratly tests my upload speed which is something alot of tests cant seem to do.