Understanding latency....

ninjageek

I will be the first to admit when it comes to internet connections its just not one of my strong points.

So if you all would have a bit of time, maybe you would be so kind to help this redneck understand it a bit better. Tried the guides and searched the forums, for some reason I just not sure I understand it right. Hope you all can help.

I found the program to test my ping that someone made in this forum. Now if I understand it right. My latency is the time in ms it takes for the ping to go from point A to B then Back to Point A.  So I ping a site, Its how long it takes the ping to hit the site and make it back to my computer? Do I understand that right?

If you do ping tests while downloading a file, you're also taking into account the possible latency created at your router/cable modem when they have to deal with a lot of packets. In the worst case, the ping packet can get dropped, but usually it's put in a queue and that delay is added to the ping times. The better modems/router use QoS to give priority to the more important packets, like UDP traffic for games or VoIP packets.

As for high/low, you want it to be as low as possible. A higher delay means your maximum speed using the TCP/IP protocol drops, especially if your internet settings in the registry are set up for low ping. For a real display of how good your router/cable modem is, try bittorrent at increasing percentages of your upload speed. Unless they're really good, you'll see ping spikes way before you saturate your upload link.

The lower the better on ping times. Also there is a way to check this without any extra programs. Just go start--run--type: cmd--hit ok--When the command prompt comes up type: ping google.com -n 25--Then if you want to copy the results right click--hit select all--then paste it wherever. On the -n 25 part that determines how many pings you want to do. You can change it to 10 or 100, 1000 whatever.

I have been messing around a bit with cablenut. While the defaults they offer work fine, I found a web site that will make your own custom cablenut file. http://j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php .

So I have been fooling around with that a bit here and there. Learned allot. Understand the basics a bit better. Really appreciate the information and help with the latency. I'm not a online gamer. But with google. I got the latency to drop from 53 to 19. Now I am sure those numbers will change. I am sure its no biggie. Just goofing off and messing around. Learning a bit as I go. I thank you kindly all.

I have been messing around a bit with cablenut. While the defaults they offer work fine, I found a web site that will make your own custom cablenut file. http://j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php .

So I have been fooling around with that a bit here and there. Learned allot. Understand the basics a bit better. Really appreciate the information and help with the latency. I'm not a online gamer. But with google. I got the latency to drop from 53 to 19. Now I am sure those numbers will change. I am sure its no biggie. Just goofing off and messing around. Learning a bit as I go. I thank you kindly all.

You can find that same page here. Scroll down to the bottom of the home page and click on tweak guide/tweak setting.Then scroll down to the bottom of that page and click on calculator for XP/2K or ME/98 in VanBuren post.It will bring up the same page.