linux messed with my laptop?

starship_troopers

hi, this is mainly for swimmer/other liinux users.

ok, i used the recovery cd in my acer laptop because of some problems and now when i try to boot windows it says "loading grub...loading grub, error 22" and won't load. i cant even boot into windows unless i use the gparted cd and choose the option to boot from partition 2 on my harddrive (which is where windows is...acer made this a 3 partition setup, 1 backup 2 OS, 3 blank) any ideas,

ok, I'm sure Swimmer will have the correct answer for you, but I believe the restore CD you put in , replaced the Boot loader on dev0 , therefore it doesn't see the other partitions. As to my knowledge , Grub in my laymans terms , is a more or less dual boot, boot loader which allows the selection to boot ( or see ) from any existing bootable partitions on any secondary virtual devices that may be set up.

I do believe , if you are using XP, you should be able to place the Linux cd you installed from in, select repair, and this will repair the Linux bootable partition on dev 0 Hdd0.

As to the dev 1 boot loader for XP, I have always had trouble repairing this w/ out the complete re-installation of windows.

Of course this all depends on how many partitions you have created in the initital installation. None the less , you should at least be able to recover the Linux table.

OK, Swimmer take over and correct me  :lol:

EEEEK .  Did they have a ( originally ) , another partition w/ the software on it ? Or do the restore disks boot , and re- install all of the software in a set of two or three disks? W/ none that specifically say " Operating System " ?

well i can tell this is gonna be bad....

ok yeah 3 partitions, 1 that is 4 gigs for backup (liek system restore), 1 for operating system 25 gigs, and one for storage, which came blank 25gigs. it says i have a 55gb harddrive so thats wat i have. the restore discs restore the operating system in a set of 2 dvds. one says something about the operating system but isnt specifically about just that. it has other stuff on it also.

hey mudman, i fixed it. and i have it set that whenever i turn on my laptop it asks me to chose from windows media center or the windows recovery console just in case  :2funny: .

i got the help from this link after reading your post...i was like uh oh something is wrong when mudman enters somthing starting with EEEEKK....either something is wrong or he has coffee  :lol:

here is the link http://foodfight.org/log/Misc/how-to-get-rid-of-grub

Yes mudmanc you had the detail correct about grub in you original post.  Sorry I didnt see this sooner..  I am currently out of town but glad to see that you go your machine back up and running.

thanks swimmer, i knew that even if what mudman said didnt work for me (which it basically did, thanks mudman), you'd eventually come in here and post something helpful also, but yeah i got it taken care of now. thanks though.  :grin2: