Broadband connection suddenly slower

Crisis

Been using testmy.net to test my connection for a while now, but I've only decided to officially join this great community when I encountered this problem of mine.

First off, I have SBC Yahoo high speed internet, and two routers. My modem acts as one of the routers, it's a 2Wire, while the second is a Linksys WRT54G. They're both wired though, I don't use the Linksys' wireless capability.

Before I explain what the problem is, I want to mention how when seeing my test results, it reads my host as ameritech.net, and that I'm always at about half it's average speed. This was before something weird happened, though. One day while I was playing online with Xbox, I was disconnected out of no where. I went to the other side of the house where my modem was and saw that it was acting funky, the lights were in a unfamiliar pattern.

The modem fixed itself after a while, and I went back to my games. I was hosting a match like I was doing before whatever happened to the modem and now every couple of minutes a 'Connection Error' pops up in game, effectively pausing the game for all who were playing (I was playing Gears of War, if that helps.) So now I can't host games and have fun at the same time. The internet itself seems fine, I can search the web, download stuff and all that. But then I tested my connection here at testmy.net. My host was no longer ameritech.net, but some odd number. And it said my connection was slower than before the modem mishap. Here's the test results I got seconds before typing right now.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1168 Kbps about 1.2 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 143 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/06/19 - 2:44pm

Bottom Line:: 20X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 7.16 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 7.109 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 89.85 % of your hosts average (162.91)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-V9UANB702

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 [!]

Before my average speed was around 1536 kbps now it's anywhere between 700 and 1100. Sometimes the number where it's supposed to read my host is different, and one time it got my host right 'sbcglobal.net' I think it was, but it's average was 0kbps. At times my modem's page wont show up when I try to visit it and check my settings, a couple of times I had to reboot the system of the modem. I just don't know what happened that day.

The reason for the odd numbers is that you IP address is not registered to you ISP yet.  It is most likely that ameritech is either moving around their IP schemes or you have been moved to a temp network while the equipment on the main service equipment is upgraded.

As far as the speed drop it could be due to abunch of things with DSL.  Since DSL is all analog any interference is going to distort the signal and slow down the speed.

• 3 weeks later...

My ISP is Yahoo SBC, and it's been nearly a month so I'm wondering how long does it takes for the main equipment to be upgraded.

On top of that, my internet slowed down AGAIN for unknown reasons. I came home from work today and found that my sister's computer displayed one of 2WIREs messages that the broadband link is currently unavailable. I clicked check connection and left the computer since it looked like it was gonna take a while. I came back to see that the internet worked again, and thinking maybe it's back to normal I tested it here, only to find that it's actually slower. Another odd thing is that on the test results it shows my correct ISP, but for it's average it has zero. Can anyone tell me what they think of this before I call my ISP and ask?

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 469 Kbps about 0.5 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 57 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/07/10 - 2:15pm

Bottom Line:: 8X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 17.96 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 10.125 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : -100 % faster than the average for host (sbcglobal.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-I1HPEK973

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4

Alright upgrading equipment is a big task for any ISP..  It isn't as simple as installing new ram or a new video card. It involves moving users around on the network so that they can some service, even if it isn't that great.  I am going to guess that you are on DSL so they are upgrading the DSLAM, basically a switch that allows you to use your telephone line for internet access.  So you might have  over 200 or so users depending on what type of chassis it is.  So when you want to upgrade you are forced to move those users to a different "node" while that equipment is upgraded.  When you move people around like that you are going to put a lot more traffic on to a device, that most of the time is already in the 70-80% capacity range, that is also limited by the overall throughput that it can handle by itself.  So if you figure that there is maybe 1000+ users per CO, central office, and you are going to do it 200 users at a time and each upgrade take a week or so. You are looking at 5 weeks then extra time to get everything moved back and checked out.

As far as contacting the ISP you can go ahead and do that if you would like to.. It could be a signaling issue which is more likely during an upgrade.

For the 0 average the site is currently be moved to a new server so it is possible that some parts are not in the new database yet.  Give it some time while we move everything around.