Over providers listed speed

flallen1

I'm not complaining, really.  But I would like to know how I am able to get speeds greater than the 760kbs I pay for from SBCglobal.  I have performed many tweaks listed on your site and keep everything very clean.  Is there max speed out there for me to grab onto if I change modems?  I think that's way to easy.  Thanks

share-NBM4FKRHX

Alright..  The reason that you ISP is giving you higher speed is because they are nice and they have some bandwidth to burn.  What allows them to do this is most likely the infracture is in place to support additional users.  However, at any time the ISP feels like they can drop the speed down to what ever your package is rated at.

Most of the ISPs control speeds with configuration packets that authorize the modem on to the ISP network.  When additional bandwidth is purchaced or the ISP boosts the speed a new configuration packet is sent to the modem. 

So to answer your question..  It is fairly normal to run a little higher than you package speed.  Buying a new modem might increase the speed slightly but the most improvement would be due to better components in the modem.