Router/Network Card Speed Issues

Hello all, new to these forums, go easy on me

I checked the Networking forum and couldn't find anything that answers my query, but if I have missed something I apologise.

I'm with Virgin Media in the UK and I am paying for a 2MB service. I have the F-5D7130 Belkin router, and I am using a Belkin 54 Mbps Network card.

The speed shown when I hover the mouse over the network icon in the taskbar varies considerably. I used to have a constant 54.0 Mbps with a Very Good/Excellent signal strength. For the last week, the speed has dropped from 54.0 to 48.0 to 36.0 and sometimes to 24.0 Mbps, yet the signal strength remains at Very Good or Excellent.

On my router's configuration page, I have experimented with different WiFi channels, different 54G modes (54G-Auto, 54G-Only, 54G-LRS), Turbo Framebursting mode on/off and the Protected mode on/off. After any changes, the speed is back at 54.0 Mbps, yet after 5 minutes, it starts to fluctuate constantly.

The problem first came to my attention when I loaded up an online game I play regularly. I stick to the same server, which is based in the UK, so providing me with good ping. Yet, in the last week, my ping has risen from 20-28 to anything from 40-60. I am a regular gamer, and these differences may not sound a lot, but they affect my play considerably.

My provider has noticed no problems yet when I do speed tests I get very mixed results, ranging from 10% to 100% of a normal 2MB connection.

What can I do?

Thanks, Drakky.

I thought the same, but i've tried every channel, 1-13, and most of them have perfect signal as I am only about 4 metres away from the router. But on every channel, the speed drops from 54Mbps. Is there any setting I have wrongly changed on my router?

The speed of the network isn't that important if you don't have a 10Mbps+ connection.  My guess is that you are picking up some interference from somewhere else that is right on top of the 2.4Ghz band.  You could try moving the router to a new location and see if that helps at all.