Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

I was having trouble with connecting to my wireless router, uninstalled the driver for the network card, tried to rollback to a previous version, failed, so I downloaded a new driver from the hp website. Still having trouble connecting. Thanks.

- Linksys wireless-g broadband router WRT54G

- Laptop HP dv8315nr Windows XP Media Center

- Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN

The problem with programs like that are some of the drivers will not work from the manufactures.. One example is on my new laptop.  It has the x3100 graphics from Intel.. I tried to download the latest drivers directly from Intel.  However, the laptop isn't supported.  I would try to stick with the manufacture if at all possible as there is a chance that the drivers will not work.

There's no problem with the program like that. First things first... you can't even get the drivers directly from Broadcom. I have quite a bit of experience with the Broadcom chips under several different operating systems and manufacturers, and can assure you the program is not "problematic". It merely provides information. Knowing how to use it is the key.

Is the thing just not seeing the network at all?  When you look at the device manager, does it list the wireless device with no warnings?  If so, I would suspect a configuration error, and not necessarily the driver.

and I hate HPs recovery CDs.  Why cant they just give you a driver CD, instead of burying the driver files within sub directories of subdirectories on recovery disks....

They dont offer download off their site directly... As they want you to use the manufacture's drivers that have been tested on their platfom.  Seeing as they produce ICs not retail products... However, they do offer a development driver series, that with a quick search of google, can be had and used.  The last update that I saw, that was whql certified, was from December 4th, 2006. 

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/OTHER-NETWORK-CARDS/Broadcom-Wireless-802-11a-b-g-n-Driver-4100155-whql.shtml

Sorry one more thing,

when I restored the router to factory settings, the linksys router showed up in range and tried to connect acquiring IP address it still gave me the "limited or no connectivity".  DHCP is enabled and the local IP address is 192.168.x.x starting IP address is 192.168.x.xxx, the network card's IP is 169.254.xxx.xxx    :?