X BOX 360

jaml311

not to long ago my xbox 360 quit working and instead of green lights around the power button it turns to 3 blinking red lights.

does any one know of any way to get this fixed without having to send it off to someone to get it fixed?

There is 1 trick it and tends to work most times

Ive done it twice and it did fix the xbox.

you will need a really thick towel or bed sheet

Wrap the box up in the towel or bed sheel really tight, turn it on. and wait till it over heats and shuts off. I usually takes about 15 - 20 minutes. (don't worry it will shut off before it becomes too hot and damages it)

Unwrap it, it will be very hot. let it sit for about 20 mins to cool down, then turn it on and it should work.

The most common reason that you get the "red ring of death" on a 360 is due to the thing getting hot and bending the mainboard inside the box.  This causes the solder to break, thus killing the mainboard. 

THis is due mainly to the hardware designers putting the GPU right under the DVD drive, thus restricting the air flo in the system.

yeah the towel trick.  Its a temporary measure though.  If you can live without it a couple of weeks, I would send to to M$.

so how long is temporary ???????????? couple min? couple hours? days?

I did it on 2 xboxes and one worked for about 2 weeks with no problem. the other hasent had any problems.

Seriously try the towel trick. It works. I haven't tried it but I know people who have. If your worried about it happening again I would just send her in to MS. I sent in 4 Premium consoles in so far. I bought an Elite so now I own both Premium and Elite. I have to have a back up now since I lost trust in MS in their consoles.

It is a manufacturing defect in the motherboard. It warps from the heat and ruins itself.

red ring of death.  If you have a warranty, take it back to the store.  Otherwise you'll have to send it back to MS.

:iamwithstupid: IMO this is the best advice you recieved.

Man i had it wrapped in a towel and wondering if its gonna catch fire and in a few minutes my screen popped up in the dashboard by itself so i turned it off to let it cool off and i got a fan from radio shack i had laying around so i put it behind it pulling air out of it to keep it cool and it stayed on for about an hour now and i even played a few games.  If anyone else does this dont be stupid and keep using it because as he said it might be a temp fix so return it while you can for credit and get a new one.  :grin: