How would you rate AbiWord in comparison to the word in Open Office?

ratchet

I have used the openOffice suite on my linux system for some time..  I still find it hard to really create decent documents.  For some reason it is just so much harder to use than Word.  I have never used AbiWord.. One think to check out would be the computability between it and office 2007..  Are you going to be able to open 2007 documents without having to go back to the sender and requesting a 2003 copy..

That indeed is the real issue!  You can always use MS viewer or whatever they call it that allows you to open and read but you can't edit.  I can install my work 2003 disc too.  We were away a couple of months ago and my youngest daughter was home from PSU and installed MS7's 60 day trial which ran out today.  I've offered to set up the network so she has printer access which would work also since she has office on her notebook.  I had some compatibility issues with OpenOffice and MS Word when one of my other children tried to do some work a few years ago!  Might install Abi and have the kids mail me some word docs and see what happens!