Extremely Inconsistent Speeds using router

Okay I have a cable modem(max 15mbps down) connected to a router. When I am connected to the router(wired or wirelessly) the speed is extremely inconsistent...average is around 6mbps...but goes as low as 1mbps and as high as 12.5mbps. When the speed decreases it stays there for a while and theres nothing I can do to speed up the connection. I then check the speed with no other apps running and no downloads or streaming in progress.

I know I am the only one connected to the router(I have wpa2 encyption and check the router to see I am the only one logged on). I have no viruses, spyware, or trojans.

I know for a fact its the router and not the ISP because whenever the broadband speed is slow I connect directly to the modem and its 12-15mbps every time.

I would be forever grateful for any help to get my speed over 10mbps consistently when using the router. I am going mad trying to fix this... :tickedoff:

Okay wait Im more confused than ever now lol. I just ran a speedtest on this site and its giving me a 12.5mbps result. However speedtest.net is still giving me a 2mbps(which I use to test my speed). Is speedtest accurate or is this site accurate? Why would I get drastically different results here compared to speedtest or speakeasy? i hope this site is more accurate  :wink:...please help out a dumb noob

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 10419 Kbps about 10.4 Mbps (tested with 48638 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1272 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/07/01 - 8:09pm

Bottom Line:: 182X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.81 sec

Tested from a 48638 kB file and took 38.241 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 79.78 % of your hosts average (optonline.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-JXGQPS9NZ

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 [!]

Welcome to the forum deluxe8520.

Clear your browser cache , and try again .

Ok I cleared my cache...these are the results

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 11054 Kbps about 11.1 Mbps (tested with 48638 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1349 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/07/01 - 8:15pm

Bottom Line:: 193X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.76 sec

Tested from a 48638 kB file and took 36.044 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 84.64 % of your hosts average (optonline.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-GKEL2V49S

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 [!]

Ok, are you familiar w/ " netstat -n "  , type this in you cmd prompt, to see what live connections you have running. I don't see a correlation w/ the router though.  What are you using for a software firewall?

No I am not familiar with that...shoud l type that into the cmd prompt and post the results? What should I be looking for? I am using Kaspersky Internet security 7 but I have tried the test with the firewall/antivirus paused and got the same results

Well, there are many people who feel kapernsky is great, although I do not have any personal experience w/ it, I have heard more - than +.  AAR, yes goto your command prompt, and type in "netstat" , there are other guru's here on this particular subject , I use it to see if I can recognize the addresses shown that have established connections.

edit: If I don't recognize the addresses, I type them into the address bar , and see where they take me : )

I like Kaspersky..its never given me any problems

Most of the connections are going home 127.0.0.1

then the others including:

72.247.146.35 (3 connections)

64.157.185.152 (2 connections)

edit: also 72.14.205.99

# 1  Google

# 2 Mc affee

#3 invalid

#4 Google

#5 testmy.net

# 6 Unknown

# 7 I think an ftp server for kapernsky

edit: did you know you had Mcaffee on there as well?

thats the mcaffee site advisor i have for the browser. Is there anything out of the ordinary with those ips?

edit: I ran it again and those unknown and invalid ones were gone

Other than # 3 & # 6 , you have total of 5 connections open to ip's that I at least cannot access. So I would try and find out what they are. Google them , and or just type " netstat " instead of " netstat -n" and it will give a bit more info .

As for the router issue, maybe go through your settings, and check them all , last resort , if you are familiar w/ the router, then reset to factory , and go from there.

I just think something is hoggin your bandwidth. But it doesn't corrolate w/ getting good speed w/o the router. Do you have cablenut installed , or any other registry tweaking program?

Edit: They were gone because they aren't connected right now, they may be back again at any time .

Other than # 3 & # 6 , you have total of 5 connections open to ip's that I at least cannot access. So I would try and find out what they are. Google them , and or just type " netstat " instead of " netstat -n" and it will give a bit more info .

As for the router issue, maybe go through your settings, and check them all , last resort , if you are familiar w/ the router, then reset to factory , and go from there.

I just think something is hoggin your bandwidth. But it doesn't corrolate w/ getting good speed w/o the router. Do you have cablenut installed , or any other registry tweaking program?

[/

Im pretty sure its the router because I will be getting slow speeds with the router then plug directly to the modem and get 12-13Mbps every time. I dont have cablenut or and registry tweakign programs

Edit: I looked on getip.com and #3 is deploy.akamitechnologies.com

and #6 is unknown from new jersey

Are you sure you have your security settings correct within your wireless side?

Do you live in an area that there could possibly be others connecting through the wireless side?

What router do you have?

btw, make sure you put your reply after  the [/qout]

Wow, that was cool lol

I tell ya, If it were me, I would either type in 192.168.1.1 , or 192.168.15.1 , whichever gets you into your web based router interface, and find the reset to factory defaults. You can always print out your security settings for re-entry. You also could backup your settings on to your HDD in case you cannot figure it all out when you do this.  Have you had the router for a while, or is it a new one?

Check your cables for fault, change them if you have another set layin around expecially the one going to your modem !

. Also why does this site show consistent high speeds for me. Its always over 10mbps

This site uses compressed data ( beyond me ) to insure accuracy,  you will not find a more consistant and accurate test site on the net.

Look in the "misc tools " section in the drop down menu at the top of the page, look down where it says " automatic test " . Set this up , and it will run test after test, this site will recored your test scores only, for you to track , therfore you will see the accuracy over a period of time.

You can also use this information to verify to your ISP, the bandwidth that you are , or arenot recieving.

ok , I re-read this thread, you are using two different routers, and they both are as inconsistent as each other?

Are you sure you don't have a " crossover " cable connected from the router to the modem? I'm not sure if this would work, of what problems this would cause.

no im using the cable given by the isp

Hmm, just seems curious that two separate routers give the same outcome.

I gotta get up in 4 hrs. I'll check back here in the AM,  I'm sure there will be someone here soon to get on with your issue . And most likely help you solve the issue. Sorry I could not be of more assistance tonight.

I suggest you set up the auto test, and see if there are any time issues, or usage issues.

If this speed test is indeed accurate my speed is okay and its just the other speedtest giving innacuarate results.

i am testing it now...I am downloading world of warcraft...It says its downloading at a speed in which it will take about 3 hours to download 3.16 gigabytes. Do you know about many mbps that is downloading at?

If this speed test is indeed accurate my speed is okay and its just the other speedtest giving innacuarate results.

i am testing it now...I am downloading world of warcraft...It says its downloading at a speed in which it will take about 3 hours to download 3.16 gigabytes. Do you know about many mbps that is downloading at?

Use the conversion calculator in the " misc tools " menu .