Westinghouse TVs

ghostmaster

Honestly I am more of a fan of the Vizio TVs. http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=31 Westinghouse would be my second choice for the budget brands. But Vizio is still my first.

I thought Samsung was.  :undecided:  Westinghouse huh?

He is talking about of the budget brands. I do agree that Samsung is the best of the top of the line brands though. In fact I have a Samsung.  :grin2:

ewww....you said Vizio.....dark screens with and orangy tint.....ewww...

No really, I have an HDTV, but im looking at a cheaper large panel for my new place.  I currently have a 26inch polaroid that is surprisingly good.

Oh I would definately go Samsung if I wanted to spend the money, but I don't.

Now when the LED LCD panels come out, I'll be willing to spend the money. :cool:

ewww....you said Vizio.....dark screens with and orangy tint.....ewww...

No really, I have an HDTV, but im looking at a cheaper large panel for my new place.  I currently have a 26inch polaroid that is surprisingly good.

Oh I would definately go Samsung if I wanted to spend the money, but I don't.

Now when the LED LCD panels come out, I'll be willing to spend the money. :cool:

Eh...The one you saw must not have been calibrated good. All the Vizios Ive seen looked excellent for the price. Actually even an Olevia looks pretty good. The plastic is ugly, but the screen looks good.

A Polaroid.  :icon_pale:

I must say after you go Samsung you don't go back. The picture will truly amaze you.

Yeah one of my buds has a Samsung, a 3251 I think.  Its really nice, but the only thing that sucks is his model can't turn off DNIE or the adjustable backlight.  It makes gaming a pain the ass sometimes.

All the Vizio's ive seen have had a darker picture than others, even after I adjusted it.  The Westinghouses almost always have a bright vivid picture. 42in 1080P with 4 HDMI ports for $1250 is a steal.

Oh, and don't knock the Polaroid.  I've been through a 20 inch Toshiba with dead pixels, a 23in Samsung that was so color banded (even the display model in the store) that it looked like it was running 256bit color, and now the 26in Polaroid.  It has been perfect, and has a better picture than the last too, and has more adjustable options.  My only gripe is the lower color gammut, and the 1 HDMI port.  This cheap lil POS even has 3 audio outputs (optical, coaxial, and composite) and does full DTS.

Though it has a problem with black crush too, but not so bad...

Yeah one of my buds has a Samsung, a 3251 I think.  Its really nice, but the only thing that sucks is his model can't turn off DNIE or the adjustable backlight.  It makes gaming a pain the ass sometimes.

All the Vizio's ive seen have had a darker picture than others, even after I adjusted it.  The Westinghouses almost always have a bright vivid picture. 42in 1080P with 4 HDMI ports for $1250 is a steal.

You wont be going wrong with the Westinghouse. I have seen them recommended plenty of times. The only reason why I am bothered by the Westinghouses is because their blacks seem a little pale. But if you prefer the Westinghouse I say go for it. Like I say I see both Vizio and Westinghouse recommended all the time. I also see Olevia recommended.

First off stay way from vizio, they use some cheap chines manufactures for there panels, and they really haven't been around long enough to see how they will last in the long run.

That Westinghouse is very good if you can get it for a good price, though if you shop around and peg it just right, you can get like a samsung of Hitachi for not much more then what that Westinghouse would cost.

My borther just got a 46" 1080p samsung for his new place for $1499 from circuit city.

One really nice/good thing about that tv is 4 HDMI ports. you don't see that too often. (and if shug comes in here bitchin,  :uglystupid2: saying you need HDMI 1.3  :haha: don't listen to him, there is no content for it, and there never will be so there is no need for it. ) ( can't argure with that can you shug  :evil6::haha: :haha: jk )

As far as LED LCD TV's, don't hold your breath. You will spend $6000 on a 32" no name brand tv. The only real advantage is there isnt as much heat.

If you go to a store to look at that TV don't count on it looking like that when you get it home.

By the time anyone starts really using HDMI1.3, a new version or a new connector will be out.

There are a few local places (non-national) ive yet to check out, that probably offer better prices and service, but we'll see. 

By the time anyone starts really using HDMI1.3, a new version or a new connector will be out.

There are a few local places (non-national) ive yet to check out, that probably offer better prices and service, but we'll see. 

na, HDMI is going to be around for along time to come. It has plenty of bandwidth to handle anything anyone is going to need it for, for along time. 1080p video is only around 28mbps HDMI has 1.6gb/s of bandwdith. And no one will ever make content for 1.3 because the difference is so small its not worth the extra time and effort.

I would also look online, alot of the places will deliver it right to your front door and set it up for you.

Yeah so I visited BB today to look at this TV, and they only had the 47in version on display.  I was not impressed, but then again, there was no remote to adjust anything, and it looked like it either had a bad signal, or it was setup wrong.

More importantly though, Ive found that 42in is going to be too big for me.  I looked at 32in, and it seems a bit too small but will work, but 37in is going to be the sweet spot.  Now I'll be able to get a Samsung or pretty much whatever barnd I want for around the same price.

Now for my next question.  What about LG tv's.  They are priced good, and with me playing around with three or four models today, they seem to have the best picture (for my eyes). 

Right now, im looking at this guy or its 37in counterpart, if I can find it for the right price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258912&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1169857827582

The 5ms response time was definately a plus, and when I was looking at them in the store, I noticed other models, including the Sharp and the Samsung on each side of it, presented some motion blur, but not the LG.

Hello folks.....Im looking at this tv, and was wondering if any of you have it, and can give me advice on it...

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=125

I know Westinghouse is the top brand of the budget TV's and was wondering if any of you have it....

Dlewis help?

I dont got the exact TV, But I got a 42 inch westinghouse and I love it, I like the HDMI and DVI ports for higher quality than RCA cables. The picture is great and we have not had any problems with it, However the sound "as expected" is weak in these tv's and I would recommend getting a surround sound system or a component system if you dont already have one.

Oh, if you do decide to get it, Most of the models have an option in the menu to turn the LED on the front panel off, I like option because the power LED was making me really ticked because its very bright.

Yeah so I visited BB today to look at this TV, and they only had the 47in version on display.  I was not impressed, but then again, there was no remote to adjust anything, and it looked like it either had a bad signal, or it was setup wrong.

More importantly though, Ive found that 42in is going to be too big for me.  I looked at 32in, and it seems a bit too small but will work, but 37in is going to be the sweet spot.  Now I'll be able to get a Samsung or pretty much whatever barnd I want for around the same price.

Now for my next question.  What about LG tv's.  They are priced good, and with me playing around with three or four models today, they seem to have the best picture (for my eyes). 

Right now, im looking at this guy or its 37in counterpart, if I can find it for the right price.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8258912&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050006&id=1169857827582

The 5ms response time was definately a plus, and when I was looking at them in the store, I noticed other models, including the Sharp and the Samsung on each side of it, presented some motion blur, but not the LG.

Bestbuy tweaks the "cheaper" TV's to look bad so you will want to shell out extra cash for the more expensive brands. I found this out when we were looking for ours in the store, When we got it home all we had to do was adjust the settings and voila, perfect. Another thing, I dont think they have HD signals going to those TV's, Because HD here at my house looks a WHOLE lot better.

I dont got the exact TV, But I got a 42 inch westinghouse and I love it, I like the HDMI and DVI ports for higher quality than RCA cables. The picture is great and we have not had any problems with it, However the sound "as expected" is weak in these tv's and I would recommend getting a surround sound system or a component system if you dont already have one.

Oh, if you do decide to get it, Most of the models have an option in the menu to turn the LED on the front panel off, I like option because the power LED was making me really ticked because its very bright.

Bestbuy tweaks the "cheaper" TV's to look bad so you will want to shell out extra cash for the more expensive brands. I found this out when we were looking for ours in the store, When we got it home all we had to do was adjust the settings and voila, perfect. Another thing, I dont think they have HD signals going to those TV's, Because HD here at my house looks a WHOLE lot better.

Oh if they are like my Best Buy they do not have HD to over half of them. Like you say the cheaper TVs get the SD signal.

I think LG is good. I know the picture looks good. I know they make other companies displays like the Apple Cinema LCD Panel and Dell Ultrasharp 2005FPW. Past that though I am clueless on them.

They don't do that. They are there to sell a TV and they will sell any tv they can.

There is how ever a reason as to why the cheaper TV's don't look as good.

When you go in there you see all the TV's and they all have the same thing on them, well they don't have 30 video sources in the back, they just take 1 1080p usually from a HD-DVD or blu-ray disk, and split it out to all the tv's so each tv is only getting a portion of the video that is actually going out so it doesn't look good, You start seeing a bunch of blocks when you get close, it just doesn't look good. Then they put all the tv's on vivid which is not good.

Sony requires that each TV being displayed, has to have its content sources from a blu-ray player and they are not allowed to split the signal to other tv's. Toshiba requires the same but with HD-DVD. the other top brands have thing like this worked out.

Oh if they are like my Best Buy they do not have HD to over half of them. Like you say the cheaper TVs get the SD signal.

No, they all get fed from a HD source, just the cheaper tv's get a split HD signal. there is no SD in there at all.

They don't do that. They are there to sell a TV and they will sell any tv they can.

There is how ever a reason as to why the cheaper TV's don't look as good.

When you go in there you see all the TV's and they all have the same thing on them, well they don't have 30 video sources in the back, they just take 1 1080p usually from a HD-DVD or blu-ray disk, and split it out to all the tv's so each tv is only getting a portion of the video that is actually going out so it doesn't look good, You start seeing a bunch of blocks when you get close, it just doesn't look good. Then they put all the tv's on vivid which is not good.

Sony requires that each TV being displayed, has to have its content sources from a blu-ray player and they are not allowed to split the signal to other tv's. Toshiba requires the same but with HD-DVD. the other top brands have thing like this worked out.

No, they all get fed from a HD source, just the cheaper tv's get a split HD signal. there is no SD in there at all.

Either way the cheapo TVs look like a steaming pile of dog poo in BB lol. :haha:

• 3 weeks later...

Allrighty then....

So I finally got to see the 42in version of this westinghouse in the store, and for the money, I thought the picture looked good.  It will be a lot better once I calibrate it.

I went ahead and ordered the 42in Westinghouse tonight, and will pick up in the store tomorrow and let anyone who cares know how this tv performs when ive had a couple of days to test it. 

One of the reasons I went ahead and got it, was that the prcie was good @ $1299, you get a free Sony 5.1 surround sound system with the order, and its in the warranty price sweet spot.  I got 4 years for 199. 

AND, Another reason, is that I plan on getting a PS3 tomorrow so I can see some 1080p content on it.  :grin2:

So, it came down to 2 options, get a "nicer" TV and no PS3, or get decent 42in 1080p tv AND a PS3.  The choice seemed obvious to me.....