LOL ,Roco maybe joining the 21st century

Roco

OK guys I have 3 computers + a laptop  capable of going on-line , this one, my main computer has a pci BB adsl  modem card , and is  on the ground floor , all the others are on the first floor , in my computer room ,  :lol: (spare bedroom    :lol: I lead a sad life the #2 Mistress refuses  to share ,) so to get the spare computers online I have to unplug all, and plug in to the tel co the one I want to use ,

I have now have a WIRELESS MODEM ROUTER, and an wireless adapter, on it's way by good old UK Royal Mail , so it should be here within 2 weeks ,  :evil6:

and as I know Jack Shit about networking , any advice would be appreciated , especially

security , as I have allready had my bank account cloned (another story  ) and not computer related  ,

Regards

Roco ...Uk

Welcome to the 21st century Sir Roco.

I'm sure when you get you goodies  that some one or all will assist you.  :grin2:

since being on TMN ,I figured us Brits are still living in the 20 century ,I am getting the gear from

http://www.dsldepot.co.uk/index.asp?idprodtype=3

used,  but with a 30 day return , if you know the tax in the UK , you would understand why !   :twisted:,$1,00 =

:evil2: update ,Roco may not be joining the 21 century , the adsl modem router , works fine on all my laptops and spare puters , but not on my main one ?  :evil2: , I am still running my old spare 1.3 mHZ AMD , with the     

Thomson ,Thomson ST-585v6 and the sync rate and speed has risen to 4.4

Mbps from 2,6 Mbps, and the download speed has gone up to 2.9Mbps from 1.9Mbps ,

so I guess this thread should be now in HELP  :lol:

you lost me.

gimme a bettert description of what is hooked up to what with what.

OK, the modem/router is connected to my PC with ethernet cable to the LAN Port

but my PC refuses to recognize it is attached , the supplied CD runs up and attempts to to install the software , part of the installation does a search for the

device , but comes back with "cannot be found " and aborts the loading of the software ,

I have checked through the bios , updated all the motherboard drivers (SIS 900,)

installed a new pci nic card , done a clean install of XP  :evil2:,

but the PC still refuses to recognize the speedtouch 585v6 modem router ,

but if I put it on any of my junker PC's it is recognized and runs well without a problem ,even the wireless part is working OK ,

yeah, tearing the hair out time is fast approaching  :lol:

OK, the modem/router is connected to my PC with ethernet cable to the LAN Port

but my PC refuses to recognize it is attached , the supplied CD runs up and attempts to to install the software , part of the installation does a search for the

device , but comes back with "cannot be found " and aborts the loading of the software ,

I have checked through the bios , updated all the motherboard drivers (SIS 900,)

installed a new pci nic card , done a clean install of XP  :evil2:,

but the PC still refuses to recognize the speedtouch 585v6 modem router ,

but if I put it on any of my junker PC's it is recognized and runs well without a problem ,even the wireless part is working OK ,

yeah, tearing the hair out time is fast approaching  :lol:

I dont think its supposed to recognize that, I think you have to have a wireless card or something to use the wireless, but if you are going hard wired it should work just fine with a few changes to some settings in the network options.

thanks guys

I get the lght up on the lan port on the pc, when the router  is  is pluged in

but if I open my browser and search for the standard ip , I get the no page etc.

all my other junker pc's have no problems finding it this way , and being able to configure the  router from there ,

I am using the router at this monent on an old 1.3 AMD pc ,

I am going to put this pc onto a usb modem and get back online , then  I can put the router back on my main PC and try pinging it ,

unfortunatly this will take some time , as my junk pc room is in the far reaches of the house , and the reason for me hoppng to go wireless ,

which works fine using the router on the junker pc and the wireless adapter on my main pc , LOL ,

so as you can see it's getting rather frustrating not being able to reverse the position  :evil2:

:lol: back online with a usb modem and junk PC  :evil2:and Reso the ping failed on my main PC to the router , using the default standard isp # :evil2:

it just seems to me that my main PC wont play ball with the router , but 5 junk Pc's will  :evil2: ?

hm. are you using the same cable and port on the router every time you connect it to a pc? does the lan port on the misbehaving pc really work (can you get a connection with it to the other comps?)

Thanks Reso....

Yeah I am using the same cables , although I have 2 sets that both work on the junk PC,

I suspected the PC lan port (on board and never used ) and fitted a new PCI lan card with a light on it , which lights up when the router is plugged in, 

I have never tried connecting another PC , as I know nothing about doing this ! 

(total newbie on networking )

and yes the same port #1

Now I'm confused, if the nic works on the " junk " box, whats the issue?

Your box is not going to recognize the router, at all, unless you have it hooked up USB.

Did you use the same port on your " junk box", w./ cat5 before the new router?

If so, there's nothing to install, or search for.

BTW, is the modem in " bridged mode "?

Now I'm confused, if the nic works on the " junk " box, whats the issue?

Your box is not going to recognize the router, at all, unless you have it hooked up USB.

Did you use the same port on your " junk box", w./ cat5 before the new router?

If so, there's nothing to install, or search for.

BTW, is the modem in " bridged mode "?

Bridge mode ? lol Mudmanc ,you are getting all tech on me  :evil6:

my main PC , wont load the software or recognise the router , even after a clean reload of Xp without any antivirus , programs, or fire wall , all my junk puters will without any problem , and they set upthe router  ok ,

I get a 30 % boost in syn from the router , +more speed, but my main use would be for the wireless ability of this modem router ,

which works great on my junk puters ,

:evil6:that is my problemj I cant open the router interface , it's like my main PC wont acept it is connected to the router . ,

all my junk puters are happy enough to do that, via he standard  embeded web page on the router , and I can set it up from there ,

my problem is why will one ( my main PC ) out of 5 PC's will not play ball , with the router ,?

if it was one of my junk pc's it would not be a problem , it would go in the scrap bin  :lol:

:evil6:no,its  ethernet cable connected ,

bution the junkers wireless is OK

it's just dowm to my main puter conected to the router by ethernet cable

not working , and down to speedtouch cd "not found "and by browser search using the standard embeded search "page not found ,

so far I have updated all the SIS motherboard drivers , reloaded :evil2: Xp without any other programs , any other network cards modems (dial up ect )renoved ,

fitted a new lan card and disabled the onboard lan

put the bios on default ,

reset the router to factory  default , tried the reset button countless times ,

and tried all combinations of all the above , burt still no joy ,

:evil2: but it runs fine on all mt junkers

:evil2:d

Are the junkers wired , or wireless?

BTW, my bad, put the modem in bridge mode.

I had gone to bed as I have to get up around 5 AM , and I'm beat, I started thinking , and it's the damn modem that I think needs to be bridged. I could be way off. But if your running a wireless router, off a dsl modem, then you must put the modem in bridged mode.

Goto a box, that will access the modem, by IP . And do this .

mrm. has anything been connected to the maddening pc via an ethernet cable and worked? if not, then grab one of the junker pc's and a hub if you have one, a crossover cable if you don't and worst case a straight cable if you have autosensing ports and connect one of the working boxes to the nonworking ones. now use the windows wizard to create a home network and see if the two boxes will talk to each other. if this works with two of the junker boxes but not with the reticent box then you know youare looking at something flaky with the lan on that one.

mrm. has anything been connected to the maddening pc via an ethernet cable and worked? if not, then grab one of the junker pc's and a hub if you have one, a crossover cable if you don't and worst case a straight cable if you have autosensing ports and connect one of the working boxes to the nonworking ones. now use the windows wizard to create a home network and see if the two boxes will talk to each other. if this works with two of the junker boxes but not with the reticent box then you know youare looking at something flaky with the lan on that one.

Hi Reso , no, it was the first time the port was used , , and when it didn't

I fitted a new pci lan card , Yep, that didn't work either ,

I guess the ethernet cable that came with the router/modem is a straight cable ? , and the only one I have  ,

I am begining to accept my main puter could turn out to be the biggest junker of them all  :evil6:

I will try the home network wizard , but not untill tommorow (busy )

:grin2:, I couldn't leave this problem alone , bit like a zit , the urge to pick it is just too great :lol:

Well it was the built in never used LAN port (sis900 ) , on Asrock K7s8xe m/board , yeah I know low cost board :evil2: and dated ,  :evil2: so is my bank account :evil2:

I turned it off in the bios , refitted the new PCI  LAN card (with link light )

did another clean install of  XP  only ,  plugged in the modem/router , link light came on , opened the browser and straight in the setting page , with all the action lights flashing , quick speed test on TMN:icon_thumright:

Thanks Guys for the help and support , all I have to do now is reload all the programs ,

and then try networking 2 of my junkers ,  :icon_study:,  maybe thats winter project , as I kinda get busy in the summer ,

Regards and thanks from Roco ...UK , The network  :newbie: