frequent disconnects

mld4165

Hello all,

Just found this forum while searching google with insightbb.com +disconnects

My question is if anyone in the Lexington KY area has problems with frequent disconnects?

Seems to not be a user equipment issue as I know two other people with the same problem and we all have different equipment; linksys, dlink, and netopia.

Insight's support is apparently crap, and has been of no help.

thanks

mld4165

I think was having the same problem ... If I was to start a torrent download after about 3 minutes my connection would stop, and to fix this I would have to power cycle my modem, and unless I throttled the download to almost nothing or i stopped it the connection would shut down again...

I haven't had this problem in a week or two but a few changes that I made that might of helped are :

I started using Azureus (and set up the encryption) was using utorrent and bittorrent before

I started using peerguardian

I ran the WinXP Patch (found here: http://lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads ) - Windows XP limits the number of connections. This patch will change the limit, so you can connect to more peers at a time.

I sill have crappy speeds on my torrent but now atleast I can download them with out losing my connection to the www.

not sure if this is the same exact problem as what you are having, but maybe it will help, or maybe some of the other great minds here can help us both to understand our issues

best of luck...

bit torrents have nothing to do with the issue. one of the people i know having this problem wouldn't even know what a torrent is, but thanks for the reply.

IMHO: it started with the move away from att, and the service has sucked since. hopefully the lufcg will open lexington up to other cable companies, and light a fire under insight's lethargic ass.

mld4165

@snakeyez78  There is a known issue with Linksys and Dlink routers and torrent speeds.. The processors are not able to handle the traffic so the router pretty much freezes..  If you have a WRT54 series router you can put a 3rd party firmware on it and the problems are, for the most part, fixed.

As far as Insight goes.. I have not had any problems with them so far.. I would call and have a tech come out to check signal levels just for kicks..

@snakeyez78  There is a known issue with Linksys and Dlink routers and torrent speeds.. The processors are not able to handle the traffic so the router pretty much freezes..  If you have a WRT54 series router you can put a 3rd party firmware on it and the problems are, for the most part, fixed.

As far as Insight goes.. I have not had any problems with them so far.. I would call and have a tech come out to check signal levels just for kicks..

Well thanks for the advice, but Its not the router that is freezing just the modem that i have to power cycle i have never touched the router when I have this problem.

As for the handy upgrade, I wish I could turn my router into the uber router firm ware update but from what I understand  it won't wok for my Dlink..  but I do know that the model I have has a great QOS engine that has made great improvements in my network performace over that of my old dlink while I DL torrents and game......

bit torrents have nothing to do with the issue. one of the people i know having this problem wouldn't even know what a torrent is, but thanks for the reply.

IMHO: it started with the move away from att, and the service has sucked since. hopefully the lufcg will open lexington up to other cable companies, and light a fire under insight's lethargic ass.

mld4165

Sorry that I could not be of any help then keep us posted on you find out....

I think was having the same problem ... If I was to start a torrent download after about 3 minutes my connection would stop, and to fix this I would have to power cycle my modem, and unless I throttled the download to almost nothing or i stopped it the connection would shut down again...

I haven't had this problem in a week or two but a few changes that I made that might of helped are :

I started using Azureus (and set up the encryption) was using utorrent and bittorrent before

I started using peerguardian

I ran the WinXP Patch (found here: http://lvllord.de/?lang=en&url=downloads ) - Windows XP limits the number of connections. This patch will change the limit, so you can connect to more peers at a time.

just to clarify I am not having this issue currently.....  and I am still regularly downloading and using my bandwidth as much if not more than before....