Disk Cleanup Freeze

grift3r74

When I am using disk cleanup on Drive C:, a small window pops up and says  "Scanning: Compress old files" but the problem is it just stays there for a long time. The progress bar does'nt move.. On my other drive (drive D: partitioned), it works.. I think it works perfectly the other day so I don't know whats wrong.. I've already tried checkdisk, antivirus, spyware scans, system restore and even defragmenting the entire drive but still nothing works.. :sad3:

Thanks!!

When I am using disk cleanup on Drive C:, a small window pops up and says  "Scanning: Compress old files" but the problem is it just stays there for a long time. The progress bar does'nt move.. On my other drive (drive D: partitioned), it works.. I think it works perfectly the other day so I don't know whats wrong.. I've already tried checkdisk, antivirus, spyware scans, system restore and even defragmenting the entire drive but still nothing works.. :sad3:

Thanks!!

on my pc for C: it takes like 10 minutes to get passed the compress old files, so when you have time just leave it for a while. I think it takes longer because its on the drive that gets used most by windows and stuff. but I'm sure other members will help as soon as they read this.  :smile2:

also, a way of getting more space from system restore is to create a restore point, then in teh disk cleanup there is a thing saying "delete all but most reccent restore point" that works as it frees up space from unused restore points, but remember to create a new point before you do it. :smile2:

nah, this happens to me once in a while too....when too much stuff/trash accumulates.......the way to reduce the time or do it manually is to go into your C dirve (or whatever drive letter you are using), enable the viewing of hidden files/folder, go into C:Documents and Settingsuser name and start deleting everything you dont think you need....most of the stuff is in the local settings folder - like temp folder, temporary internet files and so on.....most of the stuff there is safe to delete but be aware that some application data is also stored in those folders which are your preferences/bookmarks and so on......

this is pretty much same thing as disk cleanup

i dont think there is a fix for it since its probably the way the utility was coded and made to function.........

to avoid that problem just use disk cleanup regularly...depending on the amount of computer usage I guess it would be safe to do it weekly

There is  a reg key you can add to your registry to delete compress old files from  disk cleanup.

Add this to a text file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerVolumeCachesCompress old files]

and rename the text file whatever you want but change the extension to .reg

I have done it on all my machines and only takes a few seconds to run disk cleanup.

There is  a reg key you can add to your registry to delete compress old files from  disk cleanup.

Add this to a text file.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerVolumeCachesCompress old files]

and rename the text file whatever you want but change the extension to .reg

I have done it on all my machines and only takes a few seconds to run disk cleanup.

Thank You StingRayZ!!! It works.. Yup, it was much faster running disk cleanup than before.. :grin:

I also found a more detailed tutorial in the Microsoft site about solving this problem. Here's the link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248

Thanks to all those who helped me!! :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: :icon_salut: