Dismal speeds -- like 2k -- on DW4000 (newbie!)

leenwebb

Hi everyone,

Recently I have become totally fed up with my DW 4000.  (OK, I've been fed up since about the 3rd day I had it, but only now am I going to do something about it.)

My speed test is below -- it's showing speeds of around 2kB/s.  It is seriously killing me.  I run a web company out of my house, and I would give my left pinky toe to have speeds that did not just absolutely suck.  I'm not asking for blazing DSL speeds or anything.  Just, you know, at least as good as a 56k modem.

I've tried both Cablenut (with VanBuren's settings) and DrTCP (with these settings: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/2019), but neither seemed to do anything.  I don't know what else to try, so if anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated.

Oh, for what it's worth:  the modem is connected to an XP computer, which serves as the gateway for my Ubuntu box.  The speeds are equally bad on both computers, though at least the Windows computer can handle downloads -- the Linux box generally stalls with any file over about 100k.  My signal strength hovers around 94%, and my satellite information says "99 degrees W, 1250 MHz".

Thanks

Eileen

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 19 Kbps about 0 Mbps (tested with 97 kB)

Download Speed is:: 2 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 1)

Test Time:: 2007/07/11 - 1:05pm

Bottom Line:: 0X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 512 sec

Tested from a 97 kB file and took 40.588 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 1.79 % of your hosts average (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-SA8UQX0E6

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1) Gecko/20061010 Firefox/2.0 [!]

This is actually quite a clean machine -- there's not much installed on it by way of programs, there are no 'always on' internet widgets (weatherbug, etc), and all of the normal cleanup tasks (virus, defrag, and so on) get done weekly. 

The modem is turned off every night. This time of year -- thunderstorm season -- the whole shebang ends up completely unplugged at least once a day anyway.

99% sure... (not like they'd tell me if I asked).  I haven't downloaded anything substantial in weeks -- just smaller things like PDFs, and not even very many of those.

Early early this morning my speeds were up to 45k (woohoo), but now I am back at 7k.  Sigh.

I had the same problem with my DW4000 and finally gave in to Hughes and switch to the HNS 7000. Better speed but nothing compared to my old DW4000 a year ago. Hughes will not help you with the DW4000. My speed on the proplus plan is between 400 and 500 kbs during peak times and around 1 meg other times. 1.5 Meg. off peak hours.

Your connection is: 1450 Kbps or 1.5 Mbps

You downloaded at: 177 kB/s

You are running: 25 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 5.79 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:Private CompID:615722117773

Test Time:: 2007/07/12 - 3:29pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4

Test ID: J3XH2TRDM (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Awesome! 20% + : 36.41 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

This was tested from a 1496 kB file and took 8.453 seconds to complete