Ram Compatibility

falco

I presently have PC 2100(266Mhz) memory on my motherboard. I want to increase my memory (add a 512 module), but I phoned my local PC supplier and he told me that he can't get PC 2100 ram anymore. He did tell me that I can use PC 3200 ram and it will step down. Can someone tell me if this is indeed true and will it work fine  if I leave a PC 2100 256 Mhz module in the other slot so I can get a total of 768 Mhz? :?

hey falco, i did the very same thing, added a pc 3200 stick with my 2 pc 2100 and had 768 MB of RAM

however after approx a year that pc 3200 stick broked down, for some unknown reason, system got unstable and shut off for no reason sometimes

1st i thought it was a virus but i couldnt find anything like that, so i figured ill try to unplug that stick and since that pc running fine.

well atleast so fine as 512 MB run hehe

Im not saying this will happen for you, it might been me damaged that stick when i increased the FSB to Overclock my CPU.

anyways its worth a shot

good luck

VanBuren :)

Just remember that the ram will operate at the speed of the slowest stick.. or the max that your motherboard supports..  So running 3200 with 2100 would be a huge mistake unless you motherboard only operates at 2100.. in which you must be planning for the future... :twisted: