problem with traffic across verizon router

nownot

i have two routers with dhcp turned off acting like switches hooked up to a verizon fios router. it works fine but the only problem i run into is when i have to go from one switch to another across the router the speed is horrible. i can hook both machines to the same switch and speed is fine but two different switches through the router the speed is horrible. wondering if anyone knows of a setting or something i might be missing. thanks.

ok let me try to explain again. i have a verizon router with two switches connected to it. i have internet on all systems hooked up to the switches full speed. the only time i run into problems is when i transfer a file from one machine to another on different switches, therefor it has to go across the router. when i do this the speed is horrible, but if the two machines are on the same switch it works perfect. so once again when i transfer a file form one machine to another on different switches and have to go across the router the speed is bad. same switch speed no router involved speed is good.

Ahh, I see...

Not sure, I'll have to think about this one...

Can you tell me the exact chain...

For example...

Verizon ----->---->Switch 1 ----> "A" PC's

Router  ----->---->Switch 2 -----> "B" PC's

If I understand you correctly, If  you transfer files from "A" PC's to "A" PC's, it is ok.  Your problem arises when you transfer from "A" PC's to "B" PC's...Correct?  You get full speeds while surfing/downloading, but across the network you have problems(if you have to pass through both switches and the router)?

Does the verizon router have Wi-Fi?  If so, you could use wireless cards..They are relatively cheap now...Just an idea.

Voltageman: i appreciate your help but so far you havent helped any. i know buying a new switch would fix the problem but i want to fix it. therefore i go to a forum with more minds that think differently to come up w/ a solution to the problem not skip over the problem and feel good about it. like i said i appreciate your help but pls do not say a 100mb switch can not handle the speed of a verizon router or just go buy new hardware ........ what kind of solutions are those?

havent tried to daisy chain. will try later. sure that will fix it but any idea on the settings of the router? b/c daisy chaining will take one port away which will leave us w/ 6 usable ports.

ok, in that case, just add a card to any machine, and set it up as a " passthrough" machine, or switch. Maybe 5 bucks or so? or not what you wanna do?

As far as the settings on the router, they should not change, as long as the " switches are simple switches, and not routers. You wont have a DHCP issue.

make sense but makes it more complicated than it needs to i believe. im going to check the routing protocol on the router etc..... ill let you know what i find

yeh, please do , I would be interested to know what your setting are at this point , and what you change .

BTW , what is the router you are using now?

Voltageman: i appreciate your help but so far you havent helped any. i know buying a new switch would fix the problem but i want to fix it. therefore i go to a forum with more minds that think differently to come up w/ a solution to the problem not skip over the problem and feel good about it. like i said i appreciate your help but pls do not say a 100mb switch can not handle the speed of a verizon router or just go buy new hardware ........ what kind of solutions are those?

Wow, I quit trying to help..

But, I will say this.. Network speed, and Internet speed are totally different, and MANY routers CANNOT HANDLE FIOS(your intial post stated you were using 2 routers)...Yes they can tranfer over the network at full speed, but they will not give you full internet speed..Trust me, I have close friends of the family that work for Verizon, specifically FiOs service...You cannot use any old router for 30/5..

My questions were to help others who have more experience, understand what exactly you were asking..

Your initial question gave minimal info, and I was trying to get a clearer picture of what you are doing...

My suggestion of getting a larger switch was just that, a freakin suggestion...Many people don't mind spending a few bucks...I mean really, how freakin expensive could it be when you split the cost 7 ways...But again, I was not say to go buy it, it was a suggestion..

I'm done with this thread....

Can someone give me some TMN bucks for the time I wasted typing in here that I will never get back..

a crappy Actiontec MI424-WR. this has verizons on firmware which is the most retarded thing ive ever seen in my life. why when i log into the router is has a button to shop? god god god wjy

lmao, do you have to use there's or is there other options for you?  I won't see FIOS for a while if ever , so I envy your speeeeeeeeeeeds.

Well at the least , post back here when you get the issue resolved , you may be assisting another w/ the same issue.  :wink2:

Have you done  a speedtest yet? would you care to post your results here?

Here's a 47 MB DL test , try this one.  :grin2:

http://www.testmy.net/dl-48638

Here's mine

share2-HCIDXF6WT