Router or Modem?

I bought a Toshiba laptop at circuit city and it came with a free D-Link router. My modem comes with a router built in. My question is which one should I use?

Depends on your connection and your network, wired or wireless. The D-Link could be added in easily if you can disable the DHCP in it.

Ive already got everything on the D Link configured. But as far as security is concerned, im good with my Actiontec modem. It comes with 4 ethernet ports, just like the D Link and wireless too. One thing on my mind is if i use the router I will have problems with my modem.

• 1 month later...

Can i use 2 cable modems and routers by splitting a T1 comcast 8x with , a t1 lan cable with 8x to 12x speedboost on my router and almost up to T2 speed, my question is can I split the cable in a T and run a 2nd cable modem and router of the one cable with just way enough bandwith and speed. I just have two sides of the home business, and each side of the home and business needs the extra modem and router for all that i have running 3 pcs, a media center and phone skype, with ge landline dual, and network printers, PS2 .. So the 5 ethernet ports are not enough. I dont want to trash my new router,So I tried the ehternet switch but it is unsatisfactory, It works, if only two devices are used, although there are 4 ports.  The whole place would be great with 10 fast ethernet ports, 5 on each side of the homebusiness. so can I split the cable and program each new modem and router with the same password and address, Or what do you suggest without a great increase in spending beyone another modem and router. Please give me your advice to reasonably cost effectively obtain 10 ethernet ports.    Thanks [email protected]      miker3x