Suggestion for tmn

When you come on testmy.net - how do you check for new posts ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. When you come on testmy.net - how do you check for new posts ?

• I go into the forum section and check categories that interest me
    • I check only the front page which has new topics
    • Both
    • Neither

...What I notice is that a lot of topics that people post end up in the off-topic discussion - now, this creates a lot of work for mod's and admins - they have to move topics quite often because simply everyone likes posting in the general section....

my question is: what is the general section for ? what is the off topic section for ? ....to me those two are very close, so everything I want to share I often post in general, and it often gets moved to off topic

Also, the suggestion: Make off-topic discussions appear on the front page of testmynet.  I think that the reason why not a lot of people post in off-topic is because they know it wont really reach a lot of people.  I for one do that.  I know when I come on TMN I have never a single time went into the actual forum categories, never, since I joined.  I just check the front page and 'a ha' this is new, I'm gonna reply to this....

So, I think it would be useful to make off-topic discussion appear on the first page, or maybe make hte list on the first page a bit larger.....because I am not quite sure how many people do the same thing I do...well, lets make a poll about this

general discussion, to me, is anything that is relevant to technology or internet. off topic is where you post stuff like about sports, or screenshots, that don't really have much of a place on the main pages.

The reason off topic doesn't get posted on the front page is because CA3LE doesn't want it to show up on google when you search. He would rather have people come here for tech/broadband discussion or help rather than just to read a forum titled "funny stuff" that is in off topic...

I would say that i agree that the home page with replies does seem shorter now than it did earlier...it seems like sometimes it has more on it than other times...

and shoudlnt this be in the Ideas to make testmy.net better section because it is making a suggestion to "fix" the site somehow?  :wink:

thats my 2 cents....well im off to bed...

I usually just click "Show unread posts since last visit" but you do have a point. Some things should be in general, how to determine what should and what shouldn't I do not know. Maybe the rules for posting should be re written so there is no confusion.

first thing i do is hit the new replies link to see what's going on in the threads i've been in. once i work through those i hit the unread since last visit to see if anything else interesting has been thrown up. i prefer this to starting from the homepage since new off topic topics also show up there.

if i create a new thread i always throw it into general discussion. that way it shows on the homepage when others come in. if it's off topic then the mods can move it there. but at least the crowd that might care for the topic will have usually seen it and had a chance to reply which puts it on their replies list.

on another note, as a news anchor, i try to keep the posts in the news section tech-related, but if anything sounds interesting to me it gets thrown in the news too. since there has been some complaints, i will put really obviously off topic and not big news item type stuff in GD more, the mods can then move it if they want. how about making the news section on the homepage larger, or adding an odd news section or off topic news or something...

as for keeping the site free of non tech stuff, i don't see why. there are always plenty off tech threads active and providing some off topic stuff not only broadens everyones horizon a bit it also gives more variety when browsing through the site. to me it's fun to look at tech stuff, throw in help where i can and not have to leave the site to catch some light banter or non tech related discussion.

wow...now those r some really good comments there...i must say...

lemme clarify the two areas...to the best of my understanding...

general discussion "Don't know where to post? Post here, we'll filter it ;-) - please read rules inside." meaning, u have something u want to post and ur not sure what board to put it in...post it here and if there really isn't a board for it then we'll leave it...if there's a better board for it we'll move it

off topic discussion no big elaborate description for it...it's just simple that...this is a technology based speed test site...so if it's in no way shape of form in ur wildest dreams related to...computers computer technology connections isp's hardware software chip bits bytes mega micros ahhhh i'm running outta words hahaha (u get the point) if it's a joke soft politics video pic poke howdy u post it in off topic anything that has nothing to do with the backbone of this site...wait

our members r the backbone of this site...so everything has to do with that...

just use ur better judgment...if we feel it belongs somewhere else we will move it...just don't get butt hurt about it...it's not personal...we have very definite guidelines set down by ca3le and we must adhere to those...like news worthy off topic stuff is usually left in gen discussion til it dies or it reaches a certain number of posts or as space allows...silly fun stuff can not be no matter how fun it is...

and don't worry we luv ya even if we have to move ur post...  :smitten:

personally i hit my pm's...then replies...then recent posts...then the front page...news...off topic and a peek at the main boards for all the sections

if i'm pressed for time just the first four...

hey!!! someone didn't vote...huh?...come back and vote please :)

1st off, Good thread.

When I first came here, the only page I ever looked at regular, is the main home page, I only looked at threads that showed up there. As has been stated , many members post in the general section, for whatever reason. So I had no issues, so I thought. So I believe, in reading some of Ca3les post for the past 5+ years, that he feels , or did in the past, that roughly 90+ % of the visitors to TMN, don't even know he has a forum. As they are on the main home page.Once you get to know your way around the site, and become more interested, you find the rest of the threads , and topics. Although the community page is accessable from the home page, if you watch the " who's online, most all guests are reading in the main forum, or on topic, or the techhie stuff.

Now either this is because the majority of them are more interested in the techhie stuff, or , they havent found the community page. My guess is, as new members,or visitors, they either have an issue, or see something that they find intriguing, and read on.

After speaking w/ Aggr3, he suggested I use the  " community " home page to view . I have found my home there, I can see who posted , what topic , on , or off, and when and in what order. From there , you can access anything you like, so this is my home page as well as where I follow topics from day to day.

As far as the off topics not showing up on google , I don't see it, all of them do, as far as I can see,  just google your user name once , and read on w/ the rest of the world  :wink2:

oh yeah, forgot a suggestion.

one beef i have is that to start a new thread i have to go through the top menu bar to the comunity home then to general discussion or wherever else i want to go an then create the topic. how about an entry in the menu bar which reads "new topic" and defaults to general discussion with a dropdown to off topic. that way just one click would bring up the form for a new topic.

yep that's what i was saying...post it where ya want...if there's a better place for it...we'll move it for ya :) ...

use ur "new posts since last visit" it shows everything that's new since the last time u were here

just have fun...it's really not so serious...now the score database being down...now that's serious...but not too much...ca3le is working on it as we speak...but this new server is smooooooth...everything is coming together...and wait til u see the new stuff...

:)

I always come into the site via e-mail notification , after that is done, I browse/troll the site  :evil6:,

for my new posts  I try to judge if it is OT or GD , b4 posting

News is the odd one for me, as I cant start a new post there, so I bung it into GD,

and let the mods move it ,

for me OT and no post count sucks , but I guess I will never catch Tommie up anyway  :lol:,so no prob.

Oh, Tdawnaz  :smitten: the score data base is down ?, Mine should read  about 20 million , :flipa: to my Bro Tommie ..................... :2funny: only kidding Bro .

Hang in there Roco. only about 5000 to go. Should I go on vacation??  :wink:

I like Reso's idea...  :grin2:

oh yeah, forgot a suggestion.

one beef i have is that to start a new thread i have to go through the top menu bar to the comunity home then to general discussion or wherever else i want to go an then create the topic. how about an entry in the menu bar which reads "new topic" and defaults to general discussion with a dropdown to off topic. that way just one click would bring up the form for a new topic.

:grin2:  ....it has real merit.

not the post database...if there is such a thing...score database...

:oops:,I must stop this speed reading thing, and go back to moving my lips as I read, not that post count bothers me ." just look at my face, do I look bothered "  :2funny:  (Sharon from little Britain  :lol: )

Btw I think I am one short , and while we are at it ,can I (pretty please) have another gold star ?

It makes me feel impotant ,  :evil6:,  .......... :lol: my speed typing aint much better either ?

score data base ??????? whats wrong with the old fashion notches on the bed post , :wink:......................... :evil6:

on a serous note what happend to the car stickers and T 's, from a year back , I am tired of T's from the charity shop with gay pride on them  :evil6:

whatsa 't'??

whatsa 't'??

and btw...looks like the scores database is back up

Oooops another translation blunder , Tdawnaz, :smitten: maybe I should pm  you some English -English usefull phrases , maybe not ,I can feel a ban comming on  :evil6:

T shirt , I really thought T's was an American expresion ? sorry on that ,

oh yeh...sorry roco...i hadn't finished my first cup yet at that point...anyway they r still on the to do list...some other things have taken priority...but glad to hear some members r still interested...some had already said 'nm' that they didn't want one, when we closed the member's only lounge...so the project got bumped down

oh yeh...sorry roco...i hadn't finished my first cup yet at that point...anyway they r still on the to do list...some other things have taken priority...but glad to hear some members r still interested...some had already said 'nm' that they didn't want one, when we closed the member's only lounge...so the project got bumped down

:wink:, yeah I know that feeling , "First cup ", I left for work this morning 6.30 am ,

without the keys to unlock the company  :idiot2:,  45 mile round trip , and found I had left the keys in my front door ,  :evil2:, I guess at $9.00 a gallon I wont do that again in a hurry  :lol:

but  it was "party -party no flood" time last night , groan  ouch my head ,

BTW I still have the TMN logo on all my E-mails , I guess the T would would emphasize the site,  :lol:

okok, where did I miss the thread about TMN's T's ?  Maybe I'm mis- interpriting this, but fdamn , Let's get this mother on  eh? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

okok, where did I miss the thread about TMN's T's ?  Maybe I'm mis- interpriting this, but fdamn , Let's get this mother on  eh? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If ya really want some.....I can get them made....(I think)  :2funny:

I actually think it was durig your gone vacation from TMN stage. You were gone for a while.  :wink2:

Yes I was, so the Idea of adverts died? WTF?  Do we not have enough artists to come up w/ something? How could this die>? OMFG!  If I have learned anything in life, it has to be, when a new, or good idea comes along, do it ! FFS, this is a great idea, who came up w/ it? Can someone link me to the thread , so U can elaborate on it?

If ya really want some.....I can get them made....(I think)  :2funny:

Well, what the hell are ya waitin for , a GD invitation  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

You are the one that made me realize what this site really is , damn ! :o

:wink:, yeah I know that feeling , "First cup ", I left for work this morning 6.30 am ,

without the keys to unlock the company  :idiot2:,  45 mile round trip , and found I had left the keys in my front door ,  :evil2:, I guess at $9.00 a gallon I wont do that again in a hurry  :lol:

but  it was "party -party no flood" time last night , groan  ouch my head ,

BTW I still have the TMN logo on all my E-mails , I guess the T would would emphasize the site,  :lol:

Have you started hiding your own Easter Eggs yet?  :confused2:

Have you started hiding your own Easter Eggs yet?  :confused2:

:2funny: :2funny: :2funny:,Duh,  why am I laughing ,  :undecided: I have allways been confused  :icon_scratch: about going to work , with so many at it already it didn't seem to offer much future prospects IMHO ,