20 Steps to Make SmartBro Faster

@sira - just kidding! haha! anyway, would you kindly specify what values did you change on your cablenut settings aside from the scale value of 8 and 4 thingie? as you can see, i have redone the 20 steps already and note my speed. still pathetic...

share2-21WPVDGL3

this sucks...

@ frostbound _ whats the diff between opera ang firefox?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ SiraComputer -  thanks for the compliment. that pic is of a spartan penguin, thus the "Awoo! Awoo! Awoo!" tag. but if you really want to see me, look for me here http://www.testmy.net/t-16947

@ Azgauth - here's a quote from this site http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm#1

it features a lot of free(yay!) software

There are several excellent alternatives with the new Mozilla Firefox V2 [1] a solid first choice.  It's safer than IE, so safe in fact that many users have reported no spyware infections since they started using the product. It's also browses a tad faster than IE, is very stable and is more standards compliant. The program loads slower than IE but once running, it positively zips along. With tabbed browsing and over 2000 free extensions (add-ons) that allow you to customize your experience, it provides most users with a major surfing upgrade. Firefox is now my everyday browser though I still leave IE on my PC for the occasional web site that's designed around IE's non-standard features. If you need any further convincing then check out my IE to Firefox migration guide [2].

An equal first choice is Opera [3]. It's a speed demon; probably the fastest of all the common browsers. But it's much more than that; it's full featured, standards compliant and safe. Just as Firefox is extensible through add-ins, Opera can be enhanced using Widgets, though there are not nearly as many of these available as Firefox extensions. Then again, it doesn't need as many extensions as a lot of the features added by Firefox add-ins are already available built into the standard Opera browser. There's just so much to like about Opera V9 that you could easily create a case that it's better than Firefox. Indeed, if I could get an Opera replacement for some of my key Firefox add-ins, I'd probably switch.

latest firefox speed...

share2-H7YV2LX0Q

I think further tweakin wouldnt be necessary for the mean time. I wanna have blazin fast speed but one wrong move might send me blazin fast back to earth. hehe! as long as im stable with this speed, i'll be happy. hehe!. im not really after the browse speed but im after the download speed since i download lots of things for my thesis most of the time. anyway, anyone who knows how to check if speeds are stable?

hmm, take frequent speed tests? but you could also check this out, its called AnalogX Net Stat Live. i don't know how good it is though. here's the link

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/nsl.htm

and here's a quote from the site

Have you ever wondered just how fast your network connection is? Not just how fast the modem is connected at, but how much data you can actually get? Does your internet connection sometimes seem slower than normal? Forget hacking the registry or using counter-intuitive tools to get the information you want - enter the world of AnalogX NetStat Live (NSL)! NSL is a small, easy to use TCP/IP protocol monitor which can be used to see your exact throughput on both incoming and outgoing data - whether you're using a modem, cable modem, DSL, or even local network! NSL doesn't just stop there, it lets you see how quickly your data goes from your computer to another computer on the internet; it even will tell you how many other computers your data must go through to get there! But wait - there's more! NSL also graphs your CPU usage of your system! This can be especially useful in identifying if your computer is what's slowing things down, or if it's your internet connection.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 634 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 77 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/09/08 - 9:43am

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 13.3 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 7.484 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 61.73 % faster than the average for host (201.78)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-BIP6OD9NR

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6 [!]

share2-BIP6OD9NR

Heres what I did: at the www.j79zlr.com theres a box there that you will input your DL/UL and Latency kbps I skipped running the speedtest to get the values that I will input there! I adjusted some values like I set DL=600 or 650 UL=150 (assuming you want a faster download you can make this lower, setting it lower might cause your connection unstable) then Latency to 560 then compute settings, download the CSS file configuration and open it using cablenut save settings and restart. After rebooting run CCleaner or clear all cache. Do speedtest.... adjust your settings until you meet your target speed! Always save the css setting that works fine! I use 2 different settings in cablenut during the day and during night or when the other one slow's my DL I use the other one vice versa and still get 500+ to 600+, My other setting used the scale factor of 8 and 4!

Just a reminder, different PC's means different  specs and settings so find the settings that suits your PC. My setting "might" or "may not" work for you!

@ SiraComputer

are using a proxy during those test? Would you mind sharing to us

what proxy you are using...Tks!

im using different connections at different times like during peak hours

where there are many users connected to the base station, i use a proxy

like meridian.ph or smartbro.net, which gives me a satisfactory speed of

350+kbps, however these proxies(i think) are limited only for up to 386kbps

speeds. So, during off-peak hours, i use auto-detect or direct connection

settings which gives me speed of 400+kbps. but during peak hours if i use

non-proxies, it only gives me about 150-300Kbps speeds...

does anybody experience the thing....???

well, according to my friend named wikipedia, here's what a proxy is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

In computer networks, a proxy server is a server (a computer system or an application program) which services the requests of its clients by forwarding requests to other servers. A client connects to the proxy server, requesting some service, such as a file, connection, web page, or other resource, available from a different server. The proxy server provides the resource by connecting to the specified server and requesting the service on behalf of the client. A proxy server may optionally alter the client's request or the server's response, and sometimes it may serve the request without contacting the specified server.

Caching proxy server

A proxy server can service requests without contacting the specified server, by retrieving content saved from a previous request, made by the same client or even other clients. This is called caching. Caching proxies keep local copies of frequently requested resources, allowing large organizations and Internet Service Providers to significantly reduce their upstream bandwidth usage and cost, while significantly increasing performance.

There are well-defined rules for caching. Some poorly-implemented caching proxies have had downsides (e.g., an inability to use user authentication). Some problems are described in RFC 3143 (Known HTTP Proxy/Caching Problems).

and here's what he says about DNS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dns#How_DNS_works_in_theory

On the Internet, the Domain Name System (DNS) associates various sorts of information with so-called domain names; most importantly, it serves as the "phone book" for the Internet: it translates human-readable computer hostnames, e.g. en.wikipedia.org, into the IP addresses that networking equipment needs for delivering information. It also stores other information such as the list of mail exchange servers that accept email for a given domain. In providing a worldwide keyword-based redirection service, the Domain Name System is an essential component of contemporary Internet use.

about open DNS, check their site www.opendns.com

Heres what I did: at the www.j79zlr.com theres a box there that you will input your DL/UL and Latency Kbps I skipped running the speedtest to get the values that I will input there! I adjusted some values like I set DL=600 or 650 UL=150 (assuming you want a faster download you can make this lower, setting it lower might cause your connection unstable) then Latency to 560 then compute settings, download the CSS file configuration and open it using cablenut save settings and restart. After rebooting run CCleaner or clear all cache. Do speedtest.... adjust your settings until you meet your target speed! Always save the css setting that works fine! I use 2 different settings in cablenut during the day and during night or when the other one slow's my DL I use the other one vice versa and still get 500+ to 600+, My other setting used the scale factor of 8 and 4!

Just a reminder, different PC's means different  specs and settings so find the settings that suits your PC. My setting "might" or "may not" work for you!

this hot gal is correct. try to use different settings on different occasions. and one setting for one computer might not be applicable to another.

here's a tip which will be incorporated in a future post in my Blog (sort of a foreplay).

try to use cfosspeed trial version. it will change some settings of cablenut (TcpWindowSize & GlobalMaxTcpWindowSize) do check out the adjuster.

list the value which cfosspeed will provide then use it also as your RWin. uninstalling cfosspeed trial version after the process is your own prerogative.  :smiley:

@fr0stbound: Tried the openDNS and works fine than the DNS from SmartBro! Browsing was more faster! Gotta test If speed increased. I still don't know if i'm using a proxy or not! How can i check if i'm using a proxy? And If i'm not using a proxy how can I obtain a proxy?

here's my own thinking about DNS.

smartbro's primary and alternate DNS server gives limited speed if not congested. Open DNS, on the otherhand, has unlimited bandwidth though it resides abroad.

@fr0stbound: Tried the openDNS and works fine than the DNS from SmartBro! Browsing was more faster! Gotta test If speed increased. I still don't know if i'm using a proxy or not! How can i check if i'm using a proxy? And If i'm not using a proxy how can I obtain a proxy?

are you not using opendns or a proxy before you told us you are using opendns? coz your signature is revealing. a speedtest without opendns or proxy will always reveal smartbro.net as host.  :shocked:

please correct me if i'm wrong.  :smiley:

@coolbuster2007: I'm confused  :shocked:

Isn't my host:201.78 not from smartbro? I've only used the openDNS a while ago and I didn't used openDNS from my previous speedtests. Maybe theres a problem in my smartBro portal cause when I view the portal it asks me for my USERNAME and PASSWORD which before didn't occur.

Heres the error msg:

error.JPG

Does this error connect from my canopy which don't have an administrator password?

canopy.JPG

hmm, the portal is working for me. i can't understand what it's trying to say to me though.

Your Smart Bro email is being processed. Please check http://webmail.smartbro.net within two (2) hours for your Smart Bro email. While waiting, you can browse the Smart Bro website and download the Smart Bro User's Manual found under Frequently Asked Questions.

do you guys have that too? every time i log in, i always get it. does it mean i get an email account?

just followed what ms.sira posted and heres my latest speed on firefox.

(w/proxies)

share2-5T0CU8QSO

(without proxies/direct connection to the net.)

share2-W8R6YV9KC

(auto-detect proxies)

share2-MWBP4G5LR

hey wait... im on firefox! this figure must be kidding me, lets try it again.

(auto-detect proxies part2)

share2-L3FK2OJNS

looks like I already hit the jackpot... hehe! 'll try downloading something and keep you updated.

@fr0stbound: I get that msg too before the "error on my portal". Question is why do we get to login from time to time when we visit the portal 'coz before after they've installed my smartbro I didnt get the USERNAME and PASSWORD thingy! I asked the technician "Do I have to Log in every time I go to smartbro's portal? he said No it's just a 1 time Log in you will never get the log in page after this" and duh now i'm wondering....... why I have to log in every time I view the portal  :idiot2:

@ frostbbound - nope,I just opened my pc and used the cleaner, flushed my dns ipconfig etc etc before i did the test. probably another base station bug, i tried downloading and the speed is only about 20+ kb/s but every second, more than a hundred kbps adds to my downloaded file... kinda weird....

real speed shows... did the test again, the results are the ff:

(direct connection and auto-detect)

100+ kbps

(with proxies)

300+ kbps.

oh well, vey inconsistent... When would i get a stable 400+ or even a 350+ speed? I feel that im not getting what im paying for...