20 Steps to Make SmartBro Faster

what the??.. you guys are comparing specs now? at 3:00 am? get some sleep!

anyway, i won't be sharing my specs, don't want to humiliate myself.

and also, reformatting should be your last resort. when things go wrong, you should just revert to a previous, safer setting. that's what back ups and system restore are for.

@ SiraComputer - about those trial period expiration, you could find a way around it. you mentioned before that you download torrents, try to be resourceful. i don't approve of that method though. for me; its free, or leave it be.

off topic

Seems like it but i enjoy reformatting once in a while, probably my best way to get rid of those programs i don't use and overlooked! Plus it's like an overall cleaning!  :grin: My pc is the 3rd thing i love next to my kids and hubby!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does mixing openDNS and the default DNS from smartBro affect your speed?

mixedDNS.jpg

Here are the results of the mixed DNS

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 612 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 75 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/09/09 - 8:30pm

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 13.65 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 7.75 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 139.06 % faster than the average for host (smartbro.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-294PCKA3R

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6 [!]

share2-294PCKA3R

Download Connection is:: 678 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 83 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/09/09 - 8:33pm

Bottom Line:: 12X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 12.34 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 7 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 164.84 % faster than the average for host (smartbro.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-WI5ZRMT60

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6 [!]

share2-WI5ZRMT60

Download Connection is:: 649 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 579 kB)

Download Speed is:: 79 kB/s

Test Time:: 2007/09/09 - 8:37pm

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 12.96 sec

Tested from a 579 kB file and took 7.313 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 50.58 % faster than the average for host (201.78)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Z0G3FRSJ4

share2-Z0G3FRSJ4

when i revert back to:

defaultDNS from smartBRO score is 400-500+ kbps

openDNS score is 600kbps below

hmm, choose whatever floats your boat then. imho, the alternate DNS server is where you are directed when you connect to the main server. that means if you can't connect to open DNS, you go back to smartbro's DNS. and for me, smartbro's DNS sucks. well, i'll be gone for awhile, i'm already late for school.

did someone tried monitoring their speed while testing their bandwidth? i mean by using a program like netstat live or bandwidth monitor pro while testing their speed. sometimes my test results are like 450+ but in the bandwidth monitor pro i only get

350-415kbps. i usually do this when i want really accurate speeds.

did someone tried monitoring their speed while testing their bandwidth? i mean by using a program like netstat live or bandwidth monitor pro while testing their speed. sometimes my test results are like 450+ but in the bandwidth monitor pro i only get

350-415Kbps. i usually do this when i want really accurate speeds.

with smartbro there's no such thing as accurate or consistent  :cheesy:

350-415Kbps. i usually do this when i want really accurate speeds.

after a second or two smartBro fluctuates you can observe your canopy page the duration it occurs. when it rains my jitter goes 4-5 then back to 1 with a 2 second delay!

reformatting my PC cannot be my option... especially right now coz im doing my thesis book... hehehe! anyway latest results of my consistently inconsistent speed... (w/ flushed dns and cache cleared...)

Auto-detect proxy...

share2-NIULQP9Z4

Manual Proxy...

share2-5173XRMNJ

Direct Connection to the internet. (no proxy)

share2-J4QL9BKIV

Smart Broken... Simply Amusing!

I believe that the second one was my real speed... but the other results makes  me feel good though...

Havent tried mixing my DNS lately... maybe i'll try it later and i'll keep you posted with the results...

unfortunately... im not a computer wiz kid. i dunno how to do those things... huhu! anyway... here again are my consistently inconsistent speed result...

Auto-detect:

share2-QPKRI6WHN

Manual Proxy

share2-GAQVPKL2N

Direct Connection.

share2-8PZIXB6EA

(almost dial-up)

Well... mixed dns is no good for me... huhu!

If i cud only double my normal speed (200kbps x2) I would be more than happy...

unfortunately... im not a computer wiz kid. i dunno how to do those things... huhu! anyway... here again are my consistently inconsistent speed result

with mixed DNS

Auto-detect:

share2-QPKRI6WHN

Manual Proxy

share2-GAQVPKL2N

Direct Connection.

share2-8PZIXB6EA

(almost dial-up)

Well... mixed dns is no good for me... huhu!

If i cud only double my normal speed (200Kbps x2) I would be more than happy...

can NAT settings be adjusted through canopy? coz when i download via torrent the NAT is highlighted and can't connect thru other peers becoz of it!

disable NAT in your canopy don't use it.

In computer networking, the process of Network Address Translation (NAT, also known as Network Masquerading, Native Address Translation or IP Masquerading) involves re-writing the source and/or destination addresses of IP packets as they pass through a router or firewall. Most systems using NAT do so in order to enable multiple hosts on a private network to access the Internet using a single public IP address (see gateway). Many network administrators find NAT a convenient technique and use it widely. Nonetheless, NAT can introduce complications in communication between hosts and may have a performance impact. <---- that's according to wiki, see?  :wink: