20 Steps to Make SmartBro Faster

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Azgauth

i think i found the culprits.

i suggest you look for other anti virus and anti spyware programs. uninstall your traffic shaping software.

A. during startup, the perfect trio which should be running :

1) avast

2) spyware terminator

3) comodo firewall pro

they're freeware.

B. during speedtests, only these should be running:

1) avast

2) comodo firewall pro

3) internet explorer/firefox

nothing else.

oh btw. in case you have installed, check back your cablenut adjuster setting coz cFosSpeed might have changed a value or two.

just try and you will see the difference.  :smiley:

hello everyone!

i really admire the patience and efforts you've been doing guys, especially coolbuster, to speedup your Smart Bobo connections.

You see, i've been a subscriber of this service even before it was acquired by smart from meridian telekoms. have done every tweaks posted in this forum. i must admit that most tweaks, if not all, will optimize your throughput, but, the speed of the connection really depends on the status of the BTS, and the status of the whole Smart network infrastructure. i dont intend to discourage anyone regarding tweaking 'coz it really helps. what i want to point out is, without any  change in your pcs configuration, as long as the BTS where you're homed is configured properly and have enough bandwidth capacity to deliver the advertised max speed of the service, you will get a very good speed test result from this site.

coolbuster, dude, ur cool man and you;re doing a great job with this post. thanks. peace.

@Azgauth

i think i found the culprits.

i suggest you look for other anti virus and anti spyware programs. uninstall your traffic shaping software.

A. during startup, the perfect trio which should be running :

1) avast

2) spyware terminator

3) comodo firewall pro

they're freeware.

B. during speedtests, only these should be running:

1) avast

2) comodo firewall pro

3) internet explorer/firefox

nothing else.

oh btw. in case you have installed, check back your cablenut adjuster setting coz cFosSpeed might have changed a value or two.

just try and you will see the difference.  :smiley:

thanx... i'll try to post my speed afterwards...

aside from the usual (accessories, games, etc... here oare the other installed progeams)

AVG 7.5

AVG anti-spyware 7.5

HP

Microsoft Office

Nero 7 Essentials

Sony Ericsson

Startup

VIA

VideoLAN

Adobe Photoshop Album  2.0 starter Editor

Internet Explorer

MSN

Outlook Express

Windows Media Player

Windows Messenger

Windows Movie Maker

Starcraft

Adobe Reader 7.0

Cablenut

cfo Speed traffic shaping

Yahoo

Yahoo Messenger

Yahoo mail

Diablo II

CCCleaner

Mobirise 3gp Converter

Mozilla firefox

Trojan Hunter

Tune-up Utilities 2007

Thoosje sidebar

Xvid

Ascentive

Google Web Accelerator

Regcure

Youtube Downloader

WinXMedia

ImTOO

FLV to AVI MPEG WMV 3GP MP4 iPod Converter

Comodo

Easy Video Converter

Xilisoft...

That's all i could find at the start up menu> all programs...

the hell with that video lan! before i got it i have a speed of 500+ then suddenly after surfing some sites i noticed my connection was slow as in very very slow 56Kbps out of the 540Kbps that i had! so i checked my system if my settings got messed up then used CCleaner then hit the full scan button on kasper and puff i got an adware and the only thing that was change in my system was there was two lan settings the one from smart bro and the VIDEO LAN that i don't know what does it do! i just disinfected the adware and deleted the other lan (VIDEO LAN) connection and i got my speed back!

don't put too much add ons in firefox! and about those converters you could choose imtoo above the rest it has almost all the converters you need avi-3gp-ipod-...etc i'm using that too but mines cracked so i dont have to worry about the trial period!

share2-ZVF8PUWSO

this speed after scanning, erasing 4 malawares and worms, ew tweaking my cablenut and using avast, comodo firewall and spyware terminator.... am I cursed?

btw, VideoLAN is a video player for those non AVI and wmv files... do you really think it affects my speed? Im thinking twice bout uninstalling it...

the hell with that video lan! before i got it i have a speed of 500+ then suddenly after surfing some sites i noticed my connection was slow as in very very slow 56Kbps out of the 540Kbps that i had! so i checked my system if my settings got messed up then used CCleaner then hit the full scan button on kasper and puff i got an adware and the only thing that was change in my system was there was two lan settings the one from smart bro and the VIDEO LAN that i don't know what does it do! i just disinfected the adware and deleted the other lan (VIDEO LAN) connection and i got my speed back!

don't put too much add ons in firefox! and about those converters you could choose imtoo above the rest it has almost all the converters you need avi-3gp-ipod-...etc i'm using that too but mines cracked so i dont have to worry about the trial period!

hmm, that's the first time i heard of that problem. you mean, you had VLC(videoLAN) even though you didn't install it? maybe it's an adware that  just copied VLC's name so that you won't notice it, in case you do have VLC. i had no problem with VLC, and there was also a time when it was my stand alone media player. i don't watch movies on my computer anymore,so i uninstalled it. i now use foobar2000 for my music.

share2-ZVF8PUWSO

this speed after scanning, erasing 4 malawares and worms, ew tweaking my cablenut and using avast, comodo firewall and spyware terminator.... am I cursed?

btw, VideoLAN is a video player for those non AVI and wmv files... do you really think it affects my speed? Im thinking twice bout uninstalling it...

@azgauth

were those malwares and worms detected only when you installed avast?

you have a similar case with lapako, one of tmn members, with regards to speed. truly, viruses, tojans and spywares slow down your speed. i advised him to back up personal files and installers, then contact a technician to reformat his pc.

i recommend you do the same.  :smiley:

@ SiraComputer

VLC Player is an excellent freeware. the adware might have overwritten Azgauth's Video Lan and make it appear as a legitimate program.

@azgauth

were those malwares and worms detected only when you installed avast?

you have a similar case with lapako, one of tmn members, with regards to speed. truly, viruses, tojans and spywares slow down your speed. i advised him to back up personal files and installers, then contact a technician to reformat his pc.

i recommend you do the same.  :smiley:

@ SiraComputer

VLC Player is an excellent freeware. the adware might have overwritten Azgauth's Video Lan and make it appear as a legitimate program.

yep! The viruses appeared after i've installed avast...

I really dont see anything wrong w/ my VideoLAN player so i'm thinking twice bout uninstalling it. Its my only video player (aside from Window Media Player, of course...)

I'll think i'll reformat my PC this coming sembreak after im done with my thesis book. I dont wanna lose any important file... hehehe!

So far,my speeds are...

share2-5KPGFONQ9

How great... is my net! sing with me how great....

yep! The viruses appeared after i've installed avast...

I really dont see anything wrong w/ my VideoLAN player so i'm thinking twice bout uninstalling it. Its my only video player (aside from Window Media Player, of course...)

I'll think i'll reformat my PC this coming sembreak after im done with my thesis book. I dont wanna lose any important file... hehehe!

So far,my speeds are...

share2-5KPGFONQ9

How great... is my net! sing with me how great....

ouch. those malwares were not detected by avg?

how? I believe Im already in contact with the best (uh whut?) base station available... my canopy reads abot 0.2 miles from a base station, jitter of about 1-2 and RSSI of about 1220... the next color code sports a jitter of 3-4 and rssi of about 600-700...

how? I believe Im already in contact with the best (uh whut?) base station available... my canopy reads abot 0.2 miles from a base station, jitter of about 1-2 and RSSI of about 1220... the next color code sports a jitter of 3-4 and rssi of about 600-700...

<--- you have to understand also that it does not guaranteed that you will have high internet speed. Factors like network congestions, overloaded base station could also slow down your internet speed.

You have to understand the difference between good internet connection and high internet speed.

You can have good internet connection( the microwave link) to the base station but still having a slow internet speed. Or you can have a high internet speed but with not so good internet connection.