20 Steps to Make SmartBro Faster

ok coolbuster2007, thnk u very much.

my i'll do it in my free time whch is on tuesday.

by the way, do u have any idea how will be the cost n upgarding a laptop?

b'coz my supervisor have 1, and the os is win98se. when her frend chck it, he said that onli win98 can be installed in that unit.

as for now, i don't have the specs of the unit but the system info. here it is:

system: win 98 se 4.10.2222a

gateway inc.

genuine intel

intel® celeron processor 96.08 mb ram.

thats all it.

pls help.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa!! I think i missed a lot of stuff because of my month long absence. Nice to see old members helping other new peeps out  :afro:

question? how accurate is the download test? According to the test, my speed varies from 150-340Kbps yet everytime I download a file, my speed usually shoots up to 50+ kB/s and even 80+ or 90+ kB/s and I believe that's higher than 340 Kbps....

Close but not really that accurate, maybe it has to do with the distance of the testmy server to the Philippines.

ok coolbuster2007, thnk u very much.

my i'll do it in my free time whch is on tuesday.

by the way, do u have any idea how will be the cost n upgarding a laptop?

b'coz my supervisor have 1, and the os is win98se. when her frend chck it, he said that onli win98 can be installed in that unit.

as for now, i don't have the specs of the unit but the system info. here it is:

system: win 98 se 4.10.2222a

gateway inc.

genuine intel

intel® celeron processor 96.08 mb ram.

thats all it. pls help.

presently its ram is 128mb but the video card cuts it by 32mb so its 96mb left. increase ram (by replacing the memory card) to at least 256mb. that would be 32mb for video and 224mb for the entire system.

why did they recommend windows 98 in that laptop? because win98 is lite on resources usage not like xp w/c the system itself plus the more advanced features consume more memory. xp most likely will install then hung-up or, worse, will not install at all.

256 mb memory card costs on a range of 1,000 to 1,300 pesos in my place. i bought two 512 mb memory cards a couple of months ago w/c cost 2,000 pesos each. 

however, i recommend you post the rest of the specs of that laptop so others can give their opinion too. finest with me.  :smiley:

it really doesn't speed up your connection. it just organizes and manages the way your computer connects to the download server, therefore giving faster downloads.

download accelerator plus you can download here http://www.download.com/3000-2071_4-10651112.html i think that's only a free trial,i haven't tried it out myself.

you might also want to try flashget http://www.flashget.com/index_en.htm

try a different css (cablenut setting). welcome to the 400 club.  :cheesy: try not to load excess apps on start up if you feel your resources gets low that makes it slow. rule of thumb would be to let those important apps only and the others you can run it manually if needed. priority apps would be your anti virus and firewall for a sample.

you might try and see this css if it works on your line well. back up your old css in case you feel it doesn't improve. these are just minor improvements, moreover we can't do much if its your AP site that wont give much more bandwidth. attached are files that some used for starters and my own current css. tweaking should be fun!

400 kbps is like over the wall already for the default subscribed speed. you should be thankful for that, but it doesn't mean that 600 club isn't attainable. factors like too many users on your AP, weather condition, bad canopy placement, site problems of smart, bad pc tweaks, etc will always affect the speed you want. dont be discouraged when things gets weird with your speed. smart has earned that reputation surprising people.