Did cox increase the 12 Mbps package in PHX?

CA3LE

WOOT!

share2-0HB5FTU4P&dual=yes&q2=1D42OZP36

Hummm... did Cox boost the 12Mbps package up or something?  Because I'm getting 15-16Mbps now.  For the past month or so I've been getting shitty speeds, it was driving me up the wall... but then I realized that I hadn't even tried to reboot the modem and my routers, after a quick reboot I'm now getting CRAZZZY speeds.  I thought maybe something was screwed up or something (made me second guess the setup of the new server... thought maybe the server was doing gzip compression or something) but I double checked the apache build and it looked fine.  Then I did a flat-file test at http://www.testmy.net/o-000'>http://www.testmy.net/o-000 and I got the following results...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 16076 Kbps about 16.1 Mbps (tested with 20972 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1962 kB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net

Test Time:: 2007/08/01 - 2:45am

Bottom Line:: 280X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.52 sec

Tested from a 20972 kB file and took 10.687 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 162.25 % faster than the average for host (cox.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-P54B3FTSX

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2) [!]

I even downloaded just a regular file off the server and IE reported the download at 1.7MB/s or 14.2Mbps and I saw it spike a couple of times during the download to 1.9MB/s or 15.9Mbps  -- I'm not complaining or anything........ I guess I'm just bragging  :-P  -- SO NIENER-NIENER-NIENER--- my connection's craaaazzzy!  :-P

-D

No. They did not increase the tier sizes. Powerboost has been around since mid May. This only affects customers with the tiers of Premier (12Mb/1Mb) or Preferred (7Mb/512Kb), with cable modems that can achieve DOCSIS 1.1 or higher (2.0).

The additional bandwidth available to the node (your neighborhood 'server') is distributed among those who may be downloading a large attachment, website, etc... This only applies to downstream, not up.

FAQ's:

Q: "What if I have a router? Does this affect everyone on my personal network?"

A: "No. This only affects the one cpu that is currently downloading a large file/attachment."

Q: "How long does speedboost last?"

A: "It can be sensed in action for roughly 10 seconds."

Q: "How much more of a faster download will I experience?"

A: "If you have the Premier Tier, you can expect roughly a 22% increase of speed. If you have the Preferred Tier, you can expect up to 25% more."

I hope that answers some questions on that. Oh, and there is a lot more speed to come soon. =)

And CA3LE, your modem probably had the uptime of 189 days or something of that nature. With it still operating off the ancient config file. =)

No. They did not increase the tier sizes. Powerboost has been around since mid May. This only affects customers with the tiers of Premier (12Mb/1Mb) or Preferred (7Mb/512Kb), with cable modems that can achieve DOCSIS 1.1 or higher (2.0).

The additional bandwidth available to the node (your neighborhood 'server') is distributed among those who may be downloading a large attachment, website, etc... This only applies to downstream, not up.

FAQ's:

Q: "What if I have a router? Does this affect everyone on my personal network?"

A: "No. This only affects the one cpu that is currently downloading a large file/attachment."

Q: "How long does speedboost last?"

A: "It can be sensed in action for roughly 10 seconds."

Q: "How much more of a faster download will I experience?"

A: "If you have the Premier Tier, you can expect roughly a 22% increase of speed. If you have the Preferred Tier, you can expect up to 25% more."

I hope that answers some questions on that. Oh, and there is a lot more speed to come soon. =)

And CA3LE, your modem probably had the uptime of 189 days or something of that nature. With it still operating off the ancient config file. =)

ahhhh, that explains it.  I thought about that when I visited the Cox website earlier, I was checking to see what the speeds were listed on their sales site, the max I saw was 12Mbps and it said "with Powerboost", the speeds they have in AZ are "Lite (512 Kbps)", "Value (1.5 Mbps)", "Preferred (7 Mbps) [includes PowerBoost!

ahhhh, that explains it.  I thought about that when I visited the Cox website earlier, I was checking to see what the speeds were listed on their sales site, the max I saw was 12Mbps and it said "with Powerboost", the speeds they have in AZ are "Lite (512 Kbps)", "Value (1.5 Mbps)", "Preferred (7 Mbps) [includes PowerBoost!

Guest PeePs

Hmmmmmm, I may have learned something from reading this topic as well! For the past few months I've been disappointed reading about other people getting the powerboosted speeds with Cox, yet I was never getting them even though I have their 7mb/512kb package. I never thought of resetting the modem. I reset my router all the time because it craps out, but its prolly been like 6 months since the actual modem has been rebooted. Maybe I'll try that sometime when I have time / when other family members aren't on the internet which is almost never....

Guest PeePs
so just pull the plug on it, wait 5 seconds and plug it back in. what's the worst that could happen? somebody can't load a myspace page for 30 seconds? one advantage to frequent power outages in puerto. modem is always current. 

well the modem is also in the basement which is like 3 stories down...... and i dont feel like going all the way down there tonight  :shocked: . And no the worst that could happen would be I unplug it and my dad is doing something on the internet, and my lil bro is kicked off World of Warcraft (OHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO)! Pretty risky move to just pull that ole plug at any time I feel like it  :wink: .

well the modem is also in the basement which is like 3 stories down...... and i dont feel like going all the way down there tonight  :shocked: . And no the worst that could happen would be I unplug it and my dad is doing something on the internet, and my lil bro is kicked off World of Warcraft (OHHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOOOO)! Pretty risky move to just pull that ole plug at any time I feel like it  :wink: .

Is it a Motorola modem?

If so, you can access the diagnostics of the modem from any PC that is connected, even through a router, wired or wireless.

Click this link:  http://192.168.100.1/config.htm

If it is a newer Motorola, then you should see the reset button on that page.

If not try typing 192.168.100.1 into your browser.

If you can reset it this way, then he'll never know.............it will just look like the modem reset for some reason.  :twisted:

BTW; just hit "Restart Cable Modem" , don't reset the defaults.

Although that won't hurt anything, it will just take longer to synch.

Guest PeePs
Is it a Motorola modem?

If so, you can access the diagnostics of the modem from any PC that is connected, even through a router, wired or wireless.

Click this link:  http://192.168.100.1/config.htm

If it is a newer Motorola, then you should see the reset button on that page.

If not try typing 192.168.100.1 into your browser.

If you can reset it this way, then he'll never know.............it will just look like the modem reset for some reason. 

BTW; just hit "Restart Cable Modem" , don't reset the defaults.

Although that won't hurt anything, it will just take longer to synch.

it is a motorola, but that link didn't work....... I'll mess with it tomorrow I gots ta go to bed! Waking up at 4:45 am sucks. :tickedoff:

try to download a really big file and see how long it lasts before you go back too normal speed. if you don't have a really big file check your PM i sent ya a link to a 4GB tar file to test with.  :haha:

Yeah, it did slow down with that file... but the overall speed was still faster than 12Mbps (because of the fast start of course).  It ended up at 1.55Mbps or about 13Mbps.  The start of the download was about 1.8MB/s or about 15.1Mbps and the reported speed in the IE download was progressively going down after about 300MB but even at 50% of the 4GB transfer it was still averaging 1.67MB/s.  But as I said in my PM to you, in almost all real world downloads I'll be seeing powerboost enhanced speeds.  I'm still trippin' out that I've gotten over 2MB/s!!  This time last year I had 9Mbps which is a little over half of the max speeds I'm seeing today.  100% increase of speed in only one year... Cox Communications ROCKS!

I just left a voicemail for my friend who works for Qwest (Cox's biggest competition in Arizona) and told him, "Dude, your company just simply can't compete with this... unless you guys do fiber.  Over 17Mbps!  And Qwest has a max in Phoenix of 7Mbps, that's only 4Mbps shy of being 3 times faster..." then I made an evil cackle and hung the phone up.  lol.

I'm sure that this time next year Cox will have a 30Mbps package in Phoenix... maybe even faster.  Cox had better watch out, if they keep this up they're going to start getting sued!  Customer houses are going to go up in flames from their modems catching fire, haha  [nerd]:-P  AMAZIN' and BLAZIN'!

-D

Qwest...

Aaah Qwest. I love the new commercial Cox put out about if you have Qworst, and live miles away your internet is slower. Instead of the price wars, there's no bones about Cox is more expensive, but this is a premium service. If you're on a low budget and don't care for contracts, live in Sun City and play shuffle all day long, then yeah, DSL is for you.

I think their commercial about "Jack My Cable Bill Up" is hilarious!

About your config page... (http://192.168.100.1/config.htm)

Some modems may have you log in, and only may be viewed in Internet Exploder. The best info to anyone on this page are the signal levels the modem is pulling and transmitting (rx/tx) Optimally, here are the ranges you'll want to be in to get the most out of your speeds. Rx "Power level" -8dBmV to +5dBmV and then the Tx:40-50dB. Downstream SNR (Signal to Noise Ratio) really wont matter. I've never seen a bad one yet..(35dB or so). I can post a thread about what T1,T2,T3...errors/anomolies mean later..

So a quick recap of my tips I've given to get great speeds:  My sticky ------>>>>>http://www.testmy.net/t-2097.msg209822#msg209822

1. Modem Levels must be in range

2. Modem type. Yup. Some just dont work as well. Even new. But imagine they're selling a choice Mercedes for the same price as a Geo Metro.

3. Then start tweakin the computer!

Oh, and if you have Speedboost happinin', don't use a usb cable from the modem to your cpu. All modems I know only have a USB 1.1 connection and you'll be bottlenecking your bandwidth.

WoOT!