Problem with Linksys WRT330N Wireless-N Gigabit Gaming Router

badasp

Hi,

I am having a problem with my Linksys WRT330N Wireless-N gigabit gaming router causing excessive latency within my wired network (i.e., my desktop wired to the router and then the router wired to my modem). With my old router, which was a 2WIRE given to me for free when I ordered my AT&T wireless wimax internet service, it would take 1 ms to go from my computer, to the router, and then to my modem (note hop 2):

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  home [1*2.1**.1.*5*]

2    1 ms    1 ms    1 ms  7*-**-1*3-1.wimax.prhmnv.sbcglobal.net [7*.3*.1*.*.*]

However, with my new Linksys router, which cost $150 and claims on the box that it has "Ultra-fast wired speeds with built-in gigabit switch," it now takes 8-9 ms to go from my computer, to the router, and then to my modem (note once again hop 2):

2    <1 ms    8 ms    9 ms  7*-**-1*3-1.wimax.prhmnv.sbcglobal.net [7*.3*.1*.*.*]

The latency on the second hop sometimes fluctuates, with 8 ms or 9 ms sometimes being 5 ms or 6ms:

2    2 ms    5 ms    6 ms  7*-**-1*3-1.wimax.prhmnv.sbcglobal.net [7*.3*.1*.*.*]

The latency on my old router was always 1 ms to the modem and never fluctuated, but the latency with this new router is clearly a lot more and it definitely fluctuates. One would think that with the price it costs the latency to the modem would be at least the same or less, but it actually gives me an 8-fold increase in latency compared to my old router.

I contacted Linksys technical support several times and they could not fix it. They had me change some settings, install new the latest firmware, and power cycle it a few times. Unfortunately, none of these things could solve the problem. Can any of you guys here help me before I return it?

Thanks,

Richard