problem installing windows, now my hard drive is acting up.

kevind360

Hey guys, i just built my new computer , enter bios and everythign seems ok. My hard drive is set as Master, and my Dvd burner set as slave, so it says insert boot up cd, so thats what I did. It saved a whole bunch of files from the disk(windows) and then asked me to restart. Ok so I did that , and windows begins to install, I notice that its stuck on 39 minutes for about 15 minutes and the computer seemed to be frozen, so i hit the reset button and try again. I hit boot from cd, but now i get an error everytime i do it. even if i load the driver cd for my motherboard, it says restarting installation and then error and the computer then restarts by it self. Its getting very annoying, can anyone help? i think i have to reformat my hard drive, but how would I?

What's the bios for (MB), how are the drives connected (ATA,SATA), are there primary and secondary connections, what's windows

more info needed

I dont really know the BIOS?my mobo is a MSI 945GM3, the drives are both ATA, the motherboard says they're in Third IDE Master and Third IDE Slave, im using WIndows XP. If its possible to reformat the hard drive I think that would solve the problem..

If the hard drive is new it should be formatted in the beginning of the windows install, make sure its done. I'm guessing everything is new, I have had CD Rom problems when they were used and the reaction seemed to be the same as your problem. A new drive cured it for me.

do you have both the dvd drive and hard drive on the same IDE cable? and what kind of windows disk are you using? is it a normal microsoft windows XP disk, or a manufacture suppled disk, like a dell hp toshiba etc. etc.

Yes both on the same IDE cable, and im using the disk that came with my dell.

Yes both on the same IDE cable, and im using the disk that came with my dell.

I'm wondering if they gave you a image disk. Dell usually doesn't do that unless you get a lower end PC. If not then there shouldn't be a problem with the disk, i have a dell windows XP disk that i use all the time.

I would call the motherboard manufacturer, there might be a bios setting that they know about. or you might want to try updating the bios.

im sure Dlewis are Ras could be alot of help here but this is what i woul try. 1st I would put the HD on IDE 1 and put the the cd drive on IDE 2 ( i think most burners like to be set as a master anyway) u will need to go back and change ur jumper on the cd back to master. if the problem is still there i would try changing cables, i have bought a brandnew board before and it came with a bad cable. and if the problem is still there, try putting a different cd drive in and see what happens then.

im sure Dlewis are Ras could be alot of help here but this is what i woul try. 1st I would put the HD on IDE 1 and put the the cd drive on IDE 2 ( i think most burners like to be set as a master anyway) u will need to go back and change ur jumper on the cd back to master. if the problem is still there i would try changing cables, i have bought a brandnew board before and it came with a bad cable. and if the problem is still there, try putting a different cd drive in and see what happens then.

the order of the drives really doesn't matter. and it can't be a bad cable because it works for most of the install. If it was a bad cable it wouldn't work at all.

it could be that you have a ata 100 cable and a dvd rom thats ata 33, but if it is a new dvd that is not the case.

alright i kind of solved that problem by not plugging in the hard drive and then booting the windows cd, and then i plugged it in and loaded the file sonto the hard drive, but now i got another problem... After loading the files it says the computer will restart in however many seconds and set up will continue, but when my comp does restart, it takes me back to the menu for the bios that says press f1 to continue, well i press f1 and it does the whole thing all over again.

for the installation you should have your boot sequence set to cd first then hdd. that way it boots of the win cd when you have it in the drive, otherwise from the hdd.

windows will start the setup, format the partition if needed, then copy files. then it will restart, asking you to remove cd first. so remove the cd, then let it reboot. it should now continue the installation process.

Hey thanks guys, I've installed it and everythings running smooth. My first build has had a few road blocks, but I managed to get past them thanks to you guys.

Good job, many time the mistakes of others can help you along. :grin2:

I think this must be faulty, as you may not have temperature sensors for that, as i had a temperature recorded as 128c when using speedfan, and it was false as i did not have a temperature sensor for that, so this could be the case with your high temperature reading, because if it got that hot, i think you would be smelling smoke by now.

Edit: Here is speedfan its a free program.

ffff.jpg

whys my power aux thing so hot?

anyone notice kevind360's .    +12 voltatage  reading  =16.97 :shocked:

:lol: on the smelling smoke , I just changed a PSU with a stalled fan ,

hot plastic smell , and the case above it was very hot to touch , yeah, great apl. speed fan , :icon_thumright: