Need a cheap but fast cpu and motherboard

amc11890

Since I got a job recently i am considering upgrading to a better and mobo.  Currently have a athlon xp 1800 and pos mobo.  So anything is a improvement.  My budget is 200 and i need a decent cpu and mobo.(939 socket so i can use parts from old computer).

On a second thought do you think it would be better to upgrade to a core 2 duo cpu and buy more parts later on when i get the money?

consider this. upgrade mobo now, and have all the other components still old. and a cxheap mobo and cpu will be a generation or two old anyway. or wait a while (the trial period of the job ending, finances stabilizing, all that) then buy a complete 2nd comp, this time something current that will stay that way (well, not current but a decent rig) for a while. and popping a new graphics card and/or more ram into that in a year will still be a decent upgrade.

The bottom line is that no matter what i do, it will be a huge change from what i have now.  Just dont know which route to take amd or intel

go intel.

with them you will have speed now and speed later, get a dual core Pentium now, then when you have some more money upgrade to a core 2 duo

Here is what i have right know

Amd athlon xp 1800 underclocked to 1.1GHz

512 pc 3200 ram

6600gt(AGP)

500 watt ps

pos mobo not even worth mentioning

Basically i will need a new case, cpu, mobo, maybe ram/video card.

this would be the cheapesr route to take

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157097

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3001041&Sku=CP2-A64-3800

could use current video card and ram.

then you want good ram not value ram, then you want a good power supply and the list goes on....considering you already have a 939 system setup I say stick with 939

he doesnt have a 939. and i would not recommend going for old technologically. if your going to go amd go AM2, but the intel is far better in every way

he doesnt have a 939. and i would not recommend going for old technologically. if your going to go amd go AM2, but the intel is far better in every way

if i do go intel I'm gonna need a cpu, mobo, video card, and ram.  Not to mention a new case and cooling.  All for under 200$

if i do go intel I'm gonna need a cpu, mobo, video card, and ram.  Not to mention a new case and cooling.  All for under 200$

why do you need a new case and cooling?

you don't currently have a ATX case?

and the intel's run alot cooler so you can use the stock heat sink.

in that case you will still end up with only one running comp with some older (cheap) and some really old (what you now have) hardware. if you have to replace so much just to upgrade you really should save up a bit and buy a complete rig. keep the old rig alive in case something happens with the new one and you need something to to root around on the drive to rescue stuff with. not to mention you can never have too many boxes running... and forget about selling off the parts you replace. you will never fknd anyone that wll actually pay for them.

Here is what i have right know

Amd athlon xp 1800 underclocked to 1.1GHz

512 pc 3200 ram

6600gt(AGP)

500 watt ps

pos mobo not even worth mentioning

Basically i will need a new case, cpu, mobo, maybe ram/video card.

this would be the cheapesr route to take

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157097

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3001041&Sku=CP2-A64-3800

could use current video card and ram.

I cant add a lot to this, but I have used about 10 Asrock m/b's

had a small problem with one , but Asrock cus.services was faultless ,

gave me a covering letter to give to my supplier who had been reluctant to take the board back , so 9/10 to Asrock from me,

Btw your puter is about the same spec as my #2 puter , and does the job ok ,

lol  my #1 computer aint much faster anyway , ( 2.8 athlon xp )

oh  :shocked:, "Amd athlon xp 1800 ",  amc11890 if you are interested in selling , im interested ,  give me a pm , ) i got a good customer/friend /widow, running a 950 Mhz Duron and the board (Asrock ) is good for a 1.8 athlon ,

Duh thanks Reso.... :lol:but you are right a spare box is very usefull

anyone got a Athlon xp going spare/cheap  around 1.8 , ?  v.hard to find in the uk ,

regards   Roco  UK ,