SmartBro Antenna:Canopy or SendFar?

coolbuster2007

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Guest ExtremeFusion

if im right, i once read here in tmn that there is a smartbro user here that is approx. 19 miles away from the base station.. wonder what kind of attennna his using..

since what i have read here in this thread that sendfar and canopy plays in the range of 3 - 6 kms only...

hmmmm....

Guest ExtremeFusion

Canopy

Motorola Canopy is a wireless networking system designed for WISPs (wireless internet service providers) that operates in both the point-to-point and point-to-multipoint architectures. Canopy can be deployed in various network topologies such as star, bus, or ring configurations. The line includes the original Motorola-designed products (frequencies starting at 900mhz, plastic cases, "real" speeds of 4.4, 7 and 14Mbit/sec, and using the Canopy protocol) and PtP backhauls (speeds over 22Mbit/sec, 2.5Ghz or higher, using a different proprietary protocol) which were rebranded from Orthogon Systems which Motorola has now acquired.

A typical Canopy setup can include a cluster of up to 6 co-located standard access points, each with a 60 degree horizontal beamwidth antenna, to achieve 360 degree coverage. Also included would be one or more backhauls or otherwise out-of-band links (to carry data to/from other network locations) and a Cluster Management Module (CMM) to provide power and synchronization to each Canopy AP or Backhaul Module (BM). Customers of the system receive service through subscriber modules (SMs) aimed towards the AP. The SMs should be mounted on the tall point of a building to get a reliable connection else Fresnel zone obstruction will weaken the signal.

Under ideal operating conditions connections at distances up to 3.5 miles can be achieved using equipment with integrated antennas. Network operators can opt to install reflector dishes or use Canopy models that accept external antennas at one or both ends of the link to increase coverage distance.

Canopy-protocol products have many advantages over wi-fi and other WLAN protocols:

transmission timing is explicitely controlled, so that all APs on all towers can by synchronized by GPS to prevent interference. APs of the same band can even be placed right next to each other, something which isn't possible or recommended with most other protocols.

designed for WISP use; so polling-based (prevents one station from "hogging" bandwidth), good interference rejection, easy management (all SMs report their names and statistics to their AP).

simple to install and configure - about a dozen protocol settings are available in all - and highly reliable.

Their main disadvantage is being proprietary - therefore limited to Motorola's (usually expensive) products.

The Motorola canopy PtMP product is available in the 900MHz and 2.4, 4.9, 5.2, 5.4 and 5.7Ghz bands. In general, the 900 MHz version is more effective for use in outlying areas because of its ability to penetrate through trees. However, this signal does not provide as high speeds as the other bands due to its reduced bandwidth (8mhz instead of 20mhz), and it requires careful installation due to its suceptabilty to interference.[2]

The 5.7 GHz is the most popular frequency because it does not interfere with existing wifi installations or other sources of interference. WISPs that use the 2.4 GHz or 5.7 versions can use a variety of add-on products (such as reflector dishes or external antennas) to get more gain, allowing communications at distances of up to 30 miles, throughputs of 14 Mbit/s, and latencies of 7 ms.

Point to point connections are capable of throughput ranging from 7 Mbit/s to 300 Mbit/s with latency of 2 ms.

An example of an Access Point (AP) cluster (top), a Backhaul (BH) unit with reflector (middle), and a Cluster Management Module (CMM) (bottom).

Canopy-AP-Backhaul.jpg

Guest ExtremeFusion

Even if somebody request for a sendfar antenna on smartbro, they would refuse to do so..

Main reason, they are no longer implementing it and the propriety now is motorola canopy wireless solution...

• 8 months later...

Hello, I am new to this forums, I have been reading way back and this is the only time i decided to register... anyway I have emailed smart and here it is...

Me:

Gentlemen,

I have information you are now using different antennas in other locations; namely Sendfar, when will this be implemented for ALL? or is it for ALL? or for those NEW? please clarify this and let's make the hardware setup standard.

Thanks

---------------

SMART:

Thank you for informing us of your concern.

For Smart BRO, we only use Customer Premise Equipment (CPE) that is type-approved and tested by Smart for the service. It is possible that a Smart BRO customer may have a CPE that is different from that of another Smart BRO customer. However, service quality or experience, will remain the same.

We have relayed your message to the concerned department for proper handling. If you have any other ideas that we can work on towards serving you better, please feel free to share your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Celeste Bernardo / cvs

Customer Care

my take down:

they always say we will relay this to the concerned dept. well ))@(#*$ that dept i never get anything from them. what i can say is this is a template piece of... you know the rest

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

I would like to know who among you would like to have SendFar installed as SmartBro antenna instead of Canopy, or those whou'd like to stick with the latter?

This is Canopy

4u9wivr.jpg

This is SendFar

4ucyfc9.jpg

I have heard and read positive feedback on SendFar but your opinions will greatly help. My plan is to forward to SmartBro as many responses as possible.

if that's the SENDFAR, so whats this?

9i4r5h.jpg

got it from a friend, and it's got a NTC Logo at the back.

hahaha... all this time i really thought this is the infamous sendfar. is there any use of this?

i don't think so, coz if it is.. then general people will know about it :) i'll stick with my theory.. they use this to contact people from mars. and im not even joking. :evil6:

• CA3LE locked this topic