signal strength

phreek000

Anything above 70 is good, below that will not help with heavy rain, snow, well actually weather on your end and the other end(NOC, Network Operations Center, Germantown, Maryland).

LLLL is correct.

Well I am stuck with a 54 on a crystal clear day:whaa: Just checked it was 49!

Installer did not want to adjust it any.  He just grounded the coax and ran. Did not ground the dish.  Oh well.  Loser!  He tried to use a piece of 20 g al wire to go from the ground block to the ground rod.  I asked him if it was code,  and offfered him some # 10 cu wire :angry3:Dumbass!  I sure wish he would of dialed up my dish.  We get a lot of rain here.

I should've said the higher the better, when I had satellite my signal was always around 72, and when it rained(moderately) it dropped to 60's, heavy rain will drop even further, usually lost signal at 31.

Where are you located? I am in western part of Maryland with a [glow=blue,2,300]peaked signal of 70 [/glow] on a clear day....pointed at 127W, Horizons1

so far the lowest I have seen with rain,snow or ice build up is 50....still same speed as 70

I'm told the bigger .98m dish would yield a higher signal depending where in the footprint your located?

I live in Washougal, Washington, was on G11 1370.

Yes the bigger dishes (.98 or 1.2 meter) I believe will help signal wise if you can afford them, not as cheap as the .74 meter dishes(oval), the .98 or larger meter dishes are round.

I will almost promise you during a good steady rain you will not have a signal. My signal peaks out at 72...heavy rain drops into the 30's ! Once it gets into the 30's very unstable...sometimes the red flags begin to show in the system status.  I also understand not only the weather at your site affects the signal, but also at the NOC location. I am not certain if all Dway customers use the Germantown,Md location or not ??

After experiencing the rain issue...I do not understand why the .98 is not standard equipment if the signal is not in the 80's. Each and every rain storm will shut you down until the clouds lets up. My DTV dish picks up in the 90's it seldom has problems unless the storm is extreme. This .74 dish is just another cheap way out for them....and we still pay! I'm surprised with that low of a signal a heavy cloud cover would put you in the low 40's?

my signal is 79 on a clear day Im on g11 1350 I live in the north east the only time my dish goes out is when there is weather in md and in vt...

ive been through some big snow storms up here and still had sat....

My dish is ungrounded will this help me with speed???? if i do it and where do you recommend grounding it to the dish or transmitter or coaxle or all three and how long of a rod in the ground I have some 12/3 wire hanging around will this do the trick

I don't think it will do anything for speed,however they all are supposed to be grounded regardless of dish type. A ground rod is very cheap insurance policy...which can be picked up a local hardware store or at Lowes etc... My entire system is grounded to an 8ft cooper rod, however I would not look for any noticeable speed increase..the ground rod eliminates the static build up from the transmitter and or lightning jolts. IF your dish is near by your house, and close to where you power comes in for your house there should be a ground rod near by for it....to the best of my knowledge this rod can be used as well, instead of installing another rod.

Snow here does not affect the dish as one may think it would.... however rain kills the signal very quickly! That was a big surprise for me, had I known that rain wipe out the signal that quickly I may have just ordered a .98m ? My speed stayed the same until the signal fell into the 30's then the system became very unstable until the heavy rain was over.

my signal is 79 on a clear day Im on g11 1350 I live in the north east the only time my dish goes out is when there is weather in md and in vt...

ive been through some big snow storms up here and still had sat....

My dish is ungrounded will this help me with speed???? if i do it and where do you recommend grounding it to the dish or transmitter or coaxle or all three and how long of a rod in the ground I have some 12/3 wire hanging around will this do the trick

Check with your local codes or a NEC code book for grounding your dish, your dish should be grounded unless its mounted direct to the ground, mine is on top of my roof, of which is brand new and the asshole that mounted it had to move it.

If your dish is mounted on your roof, have the installer come back out and ground it, that is part of his job! if not report his ass to your local state fire marshall, I deal with these guys on a daily basis being an electrician.

It will discharge any built up static, and will discharge any lightining strikes or static from lightning, make sure its grounded at the block on the back of the dish, thats what the block is there for, you could damage your equipment and anything attached to it if not.

Check with your local codes or a NEC code book for grounding your dish, your dish should be grounded unless its mounted direct to the ground, mine is on top of my roof, of which is brand new and the asshole that mounted it had to move it.

If your dish is mounted on your roof, have the installer come back out and ground it, that is part of his job! if not report his ass to your local state fire marshall, I deal with these guys on a daily basis being an electrician.

It will discharge any built up static, and will discharge any lightining strikes or static from lightning, make sure its grounded at the block on the back of the dish, thats what the block is there for, you could damage your equipment and anything attached to it if not.

Hey Sparky,

I also believe that a "single point reference ground" is the proper bonding issue according to NEC 2005 if memory serves me correct.

I read on another part of this board that the cross-pol test is more important. If you are failing that, you should tweak your dish.

My installer was an idiot and left the dish with a signal in the 50's and failing the cross-pol test. Said it was a problem at the NOC and he would come back the next day to fix it. As soon as his van was out of site, I scurried out on the roof and tweaked the dish myself. My signal strength in clear weather pushes 94 sometimes and the crosspol test passes very quickly. I called the installer and told him it "just started working" and he gave up on me, never to be seen again!

As for speed, I have never noticed a download speed change until you lose connection with the NOC, however, I believe upload is affected because of re-tries, slowing browsing considerably. This observation is not based in any science, just my opinion of what it "seems" like when the signal is down because of rain, etc.