Speed + Latency problems :(

Guest Furtwangler

Guest Furtwangler

Been trolling around these forums and it seems like the best place to ask so here goes-

I play Final Fantasy XI, and also use a voice client called Ventrilo. I've had Hughes for about 9 months ish, and it has held up fairly well. I can use vent + have FFXI open usually and then afford to browse the internet and have no problem, my ping on vent is usually about 700-1200 which I have no problem with. If I talk too long on vent I would disconnect from FFXI but that's always been like that and I'm used to it.

Here's the actual problem, lately whenever I try to upload something, say a picture to imageshack, it will go more slow than normal, and also disconnect me from FFXI if it takes too long (never used to do that). Also, whenever I try to talk on vent, my ping will skyrocket anywhere from 2000-5000, and apparently I break up when that happens, talk in spurts etc. This happens on and off, just started this afternoon that I'm remembering, and would usually go away within 20mins or so, but it's been here all day and I'm not sure what's causing it, or what I can do to fix it.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Guest PeePs

700 ping in ventrilo? That's absolutely terrible ... you sure it isn't 70? Seems to me that if you just pinged 700, ventrilo would be lagged to ****, I can't even imagine 2000. You could try doing a tracert to your ventrilo server's IP and it might show you where your internet gets bogged down. Sorry I'm not being too much help, someone else get in hur and help him  :?

Welcome to satelite... Part of the problem might be the codec that you are using for vent..  Try using a dial-up codec or ask the adin of the channel to enable some of the lower bandwidth ones  That should help with the disconnect problems.  As far as the ping issues.. 700-1500ms is what you should kinda expect with this type of connection.  There isnt a whole lot you can do.. You might want to check and see if the dish has move a large amount since being installed.

Guest Furtwangler

Yea I don't really care about the ping at all, I've gotten used to it and I knew it would be bad, but it's been jumping to over 5000, even 7000 if I talk to long, which is no good, it used to be able to hold a steady 1k ish give or take but not currently, and I'm breaking up when I talk now, that's more of my problem.

I don't know which satt. you are on but my service across the board was terrible untill last night. I too use vent as well as my wife and we both play EQ. Aside from the 2 second delay from the time we talk till we are heard it works very well with Hughes most of the time and peeps are more than patient and understanding of our delay. With that said when our pings go up to around 900+ in the game as they did yesterday then vent will become almost unusable and pings can hit 20,000 or more on vent as it is much  more sensitive than other apps. With what you are experiancing I would say it is either our satt. or the noc. I have been getting temporary service degredations lately as well but like you said they seldom last long but it did yesterday. I think was around 6 or 7 pm last night before it improved. Not real sure of where my NOC is but I have noticed that if it is storming in the midwest around Omaha and up that way I often experiance troubles so I am thinking it could be NOC weather related. And I thought I would add that unless our pings get really high like stated above then our transmissions are crystal clear with just the delay. Also since this subject is here, would a 1 MB up and down fixed wireless connection work well for hosting a vent server? I am a little fuzzy on whether I will for sure be able to hit their antenna from here depending on where they chose to put it exactly but I am pretty sure I will have this service availible to me around the first of the year. Thanx