Building a new budget gaming computer. help?

alan8187

Since I'm on a budget..I don't have too much to spend especially on games. I don't know if I should buy a single core or dual core processor. 2 gb ram, 160 gb harddrive, decent sound card, and a really high end video card. So would I spend more money on the processor or should I spend it on my video card? im on a budget.

if your only using it for games, i think you should opt for the video card since you won't be needing that much processing speed from a dual core. also i think for games,you already have a LOT of ram(2 GB). maybe you could decrease it to around 1 GB and if your budget is enough you could get dual core.

i think all programs benefit from dual core. but if a system is to be used solely for games then i think it's too much. if you think that 1 GB is not enough, then go ahead and buy more. its all a matter of preference anyway.and of course, your budget. if you can afford all that you listed, then go ahead.

There are alot of cheap dual cores out there from

Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz for $150 to the Pentium D 805 2.66GHz for $50

Yes as mentioned by Alan, only programs coded with two or more threads can take full advantage of a dual core.  In my personal opinion, anytime I have 4+ windows open I appreciate my hyperthreading and dual core computers.  Heck, if one core is used by backround tasks there is another available for me.  Example: Battlefield 2 + Fraps movie recorder.

In order to make your best decision for a CPU I would highly suggest reading these charts and doing price checks simultaneously.

CPU Charts of 2005

CPU Charts of 2006

Video Cards

Hum... What kind of a budget are you thinking of for a video card? AGP or PCI-E?

Best video cards for the money sounds like a perfect reading assignment for you.

RAM

Discussion on Article:

2GB of RAM: Do We Really Need That Much?

If you want to compare memory performance do it as slow RAM vs fast RAM, not as more RAM vs less RAM

Battlefield 2 is one app that definately benifits from more than a gig of ram. With everything on high it needs 1.2 gigs.

Dell recommends 2 GB of memory for Vista

Gee, a computer company recommending stuff that you don't need to sell more?

They also recommend at least 512 Meg to send e-mails!

:haha:

Amc and I ask what is your budget Alan?

Only took an hour to write this post lol

well my budget is around $600-1000.  I am thinking of getting a cheap system from HP for around $200-$300 or so and then pump it up with a kicka*s video card.

Or should I build it from scratch?

I currently have a AMD sempron 512 ram 60 gb harddrive  geforce 4 ti4200  its old and can barely support the decent games that come out.

how much can i get with my budget?

well my budget is around $600-1000.  I am thinking of getting a cheap system from HP for around $200-$300 or so and then pump it up with a kicka*s video card.

Or should I build it from scratch?

I currently have a AMD sempron 512 ram 60 GB harddrive  geforce 4 ti4200  its old and can barely support the decent games that come out.

how much can i get with my budget?

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5340988