Need help with my 3 Mbps Verzon DSL speeds

mummer43

What can I do to speed this up?

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 2821 Kbps about 2.8 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 344 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/08/08 - 5:40pm

Bottom Line:: 49X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 2.98 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 8.687 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 48.69 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Z1V250XSI

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.6) Gecko/20070725 Firefox/2.0.0.6

Here are my Verizon DSL 3MBPS test results.......

3247 Kbps or 3.2 Mbps (396 kB/s)

0              500                  1000            1500            2000            2500            3000            3500            4000  Kbps

::You::

avg verizon.net (5799 Kbps)

Typical Cable (256 - 4000)

One thing you might want to look at, and believe it or not this came from a U.S. based Verizon Tech support person who actually knew what he was talking about, the phone cable that they provide you with your DSL modem, use it.  It is a twisted pair SHIELDED cable.  He also said there is to be no more than 12 feet maximum between your original Network Interface jack, the phone jack where your telephone line originates inside the house, and your modem, 12 feet max, and it MUST be the cable provided, NOT the 25 foot off the shelf department store cable like I was using for so long.  With that 25ft. generic phone cable running between my wall phone jack and the DSL modem, I was seeing speeds range from 2.5 to 2.7 mbps routinely, once I used the original cable provided (or any insulated, shielded twisted pair cable not more than 12 feet will do), I saw a dramatic speed boost, just like the results I posted above, very often over 3mbps here and my upload speeds usually range app. 710-740 kbps.  The only reason I found this is that when I switched to a dry loop/naked dsl service since I was installing Vonage, using the Motorola / Vonage router, kinda had me re-arranging the placement of the modem from it's old spot next to the PC, in a spare bedroom, TO, a place CLOSE to the original phone wall jack which allowed me to actually use that 12ft cable the guy was telling me about, as I was now running standard ethernet cable from the Motorola/Vonage router back to the PC.  I will say, however, that sometimes when I test, I get results close to what you posted.  Guess that all comes down to how busy certain servers are at any given moment.