Computer screen likes to go black...

Vampyfan

Hello. I got a new computer about maybe 5 months ago. And of course it has Windows Vista. But i see that if im doing i think a minimal of things on it, my computers screen likes to go black, about 5 minutes ago i was listning to iTunes and surfing the internet with Mozilla Firefox, and i tryed to scroll down the page but i realized it was frozen, then the screen went blank. I pushed control+alt+delete and it took a bit but that page came up for task mannager and other stuff, then i pushed cancel but firefox was frozen. This has happened planty of times, i dont know how to fix it. This computer doesnt have any games or anything, everybody in the house pretty much has their own computer for themselves. I have an Intel cor 2 duo processor, so doesnt that mean my computer can handle more at a time. This is computer is constantly left on also so could it be overheating? Thanks!

Sounds like a memory issue. (Ram) The screen is going black , most likely because of the power save settings, and possibly you have two many programs running in the background? Are you folding?

I re-read your post, you said , while you were surfing, that rules out the power settings, sorry.

If the box is always on, is it on the floor? If so it may have severe dust build up? on the video card causing it to overheat.

no, its on the computer desk right next to the screen. my computer doesn't have any video cards, that i know of,lol. Do all computers have video cards?(sorry if thats a stupid question). Wouldn't i have to have a lot of games to use a lot of my RAM though, or does vista suck it all up or something? I used a can of air maybe about 2 weeks ago and opened ot up and cleaned it also. I also turned it off when i was done with it tonight so i can see what it does tomorrow.

Yes Vista is a memory hog, if the machine came new, w/ vista on it, it should have enough ram. Don't quote me, but I believe the minimum ram for Vista is 1 gig.

You should check for spyware, and viruses.

spybot.com is a good one, for spyware, and free! Do you know know how much ram you have?

No question is stupid, you know that :)  And no, there are many system services running , that take up memory. I'm not saying thats what it is, just my first thought. You also could have a bad DIMM, thats a stick of ram.

As far as the video card, there are many boards out there, that have a small amount of " built in " video memory. But as far as I know, they dont make many anymore that do not require a separate card for video memory. What kind of machine do you have?

Yes, it came with vista(i will never again put vista into a computer, especially a computer with only 80GB,lol, i learned my lesson, but this isnt that computer). It says i have 1,014 MB of RAM. I have a HP Pavilion, Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel® Core2 CPU. Do you need any more info? And also, thanks for all of this information :smile2: And also, my virus detector thing is Norton Anti Virus, and my spyware thing is called Spysweeper, both fairly good

Yes, it came with vista(i will never again put vista into a computer, especially a computer with only 80GB,lol, i learned my lesson, but this isnt that computer). It says i have 1,014 MB of RAM. I have a HP Pavilion, Windows Vista Home Premium, Intel® Core™2 CPU. Do you need any more info? And also, thanks for all of this information :smile2: And also, my virus detector thing is Norton Anti Virus, and my spyware thing is called Spysweeper, both very good

ok, got it! Norton is most likely the issue, it is awful! not only does it not work properly, but it is a major memory leach! Your going to have fun getting rid of it.  Let me find a few links here with the testimony's of other ex-norton users.

Read!

http://www.testmy.net/t-20662.15

This sir, is what you must do to get rid of it !

http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_to_fully_remove_norton_from_pc.html

Oh! Thanks, i only got norton because i was told that it was better for Vista(i also have Mcafee but i was told it was terrible with Vista). Thanks so much, i guess that Vista and Norton dont really like eachother

Norton doesn't get along w/ anything lol, sorry you have it, read the links that I posted, I'm sure you'll want to ask around, and I'm sure someone else here would like to help you out as well. But , I do have to say, there aren't many out there , that care to much for  norton.

Chances are, this is the root of your problem.

I can't say how Norton would have done with Vista.It came prepackaged but I think I stopped it & did everything to uninstall it.So as far as I can tell it is completly out of my Vista.I had already read about how bad Norton is.

I'm using AVG Free. I had a little trouble getting the email scanner to work but I have that working now.

I'm using IE7 instead of FF.

My Vista came with 1G RAM but I plan to go to 2G even though 1G is working alright.

I haven't had the lockup problems you have.

If you think it might be the screen saver you can set it for a longer time.in screen saver power settings.

• 2 months later...

k...this is frustrating...i thought for the fun of it i'd run that spybot and see what it comes up with...got it all installed...boom!! twice it shuts my computer off...what's up with that??

edit:to brag that this particular post was my 4000th post...hehe i never noticed that i passed 3000...where was i??

k...this is frustrating...i thought for the fun of it i'd run that spybot and see what it comes up with...got it all installed...boom!! twice it shuts my computer off...what's up with that??

I never had any trouble with Spybot S&D. I even have it running on my really slow IBM T-22 laptop with no problems. You did download Spybot S&D from www.safer-networking.org and not the other one call SpywareBOT from Spybot.net?

edt: to fix quote so i could quote u...hahaha :)

I never had any trouble with Spybot S&D. I even have it running on my really slow IBM T-22 laptop with no problems. You did download Spybot S&D from www.safer-networking.org and not the other one call SpywareBOT from Spybot.net?

edt: to fix quote so i could quote u...hahaha :)

yeh the safer networking one is the one i picked

I just downloaded the newest version of Spybot S&D [ 1.5.1.15 ] and install it. Ran with no problems.  Maybe your download got screw up. Remove the program and delete the download you did and start over again. Download a new copy of Spybot S&D and install it.

It is also possible you have some previously installed spyware, that is not allowing the software to be installed...

I ran into it a while back with a friends pc...I think we wound up installing and running the spybot/adaware in safe mode, and it found a TON of crap, but I could be forgetting a step.  [nerdly]

It is also possible you have some previously installed spyware, that is not allowing the software to be installed...

I ran into it a while back with a friends pc...I think we wound up installing and running the spybot/adaware in safe mode, and it found a TON of crap, but I could be forgetting a step.  [nerdly]

that's what i was thinking...that something just turns the computer off if it's touched...like with a scan of any kind