Holy sp2.. now what is wrong

Swimmer

ok first of all my dell... if I install SP2 on my dell it has problems just booting.. something in the SP2 software doesnt like Centrino based stuff... Second,  there wasnt any thing all that great in SP2.. Wow a program to monitor what is being updated and a few fixes.. which i guess were really holes..  That is why you turn on the automatic update for your virus protection and firewall..?!?!  I dont see the advantage of slowing down your system with something that you dont need... Yes you can disable services.. that will help some what but not everyone wants to run around in the service manager and stop them all, you know that they are all running.... 

What problem do you get while booting? Is it only a Dell issue? Cos i never heard that before....

SP2 fix alot of holes in SP1 and also edit your TCP stack and for me, with the p2p fix installed it running better then SP1

The Unwanted Services is a problem for SP1 aswell......

and i have to add my system is not very l33t, im on a AMD 1700+ and 512 MB of ram and its snappy now  ;)

VanBuren :)

no is was wide centrino based.. i will find the article..

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBR/tip8600/rh8672.htm  it was something like that.. accept at the time there was not newer intel m driver..

Here is a nice little article why windows sp2 is the "service pack from hell"

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024180,39172103,00.htm

alot of those bugs was in the first version of SP2, the one you download today from windows update is not the same as the first version they released...

quote "Regardless of the type of system you own now, it's a good idea to install SP2. " source http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024175,39163261,00.htm

VanBuren :)

did you look at the user rating?? thumbs up.. 32% the other 68% down..  The only think that was improved was the wi-fi stuff.. easier to connect for the business travelers...  As far as the problems being fixed that might be true now.. but when they were really pushing it... IT DIDNT WORK... Opps i guess we should have delayed it another month..  Not only that but now they are finding ways around everything!  the firewall only check inbound.. not outbound..  That is dumb..

2. Don't be tempted by Windows Update

3. Put SP2 on hold until April 2005

Fortunately, there's nothing stopping you from stealing a tool Microsoft made for big corporations to keep Automatic Update and Windows Update working correctly but to ignore SP2. :roll:

I mean it is sad when microsoft provides a tool to keep it from installing!! I guess it is your own decression wether to download it or not..  I know that I will not be installing it or recommending it to anyone in the near future..  Plus none of the patches that Microsoft is releasing fix any of the SP2 problems.. You dont even need it.. So i guess microsoft doesnt think that it is all that important..  In fact on one of the former boards i use to visit, intelfanboy.com, there was a microsoft tech that said it would make you computer any more secure..  I cant verify that he was a microsoft employee but he knew a lot of stuff about the Microsoft oses... But what ever..

:haha: Yep they talk about this nice redo of the firewall.....WHAT FIREWALL...??? Sorry to me its a joke maybe someday it will be OK but not for me not today....but everyone that likes it should use it if that makes you feel you are "protecting" your puter.... all Im saying 4me its a large file that takes a lot of space and doesnt do much other then slow down many puters.... So I guess we can agree to disagree on this subject.... :) its not all bad at least one out of three ppl that "used" it like the patch.....

:) Microwave