Why are some of them so dense.

Totally wasn't paying attention to what I said during this chat.

user ron cochran has entered room

analyst Tarig M has entered room

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:02:46 EDT 2007)>Thank you for choosing Time Warner Cable - Road Runner Internet Technical Chat.  My name is Tarig. Before we begin, I would like to bring up your account. May I have the following three pieces of information from you please?

1. The account holder's area code and telephone number. (xxx-xxx-xxxx)

2. The account holder's Full Name. (First and Last)

3. If you are not the account holder, please provide your name.

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:03:01 EDT 2007)>419-9dddddd

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:03:06 EDT 2007)>father inlaw's name

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:03:14 EDT 2007)>my name is ron cochran

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:03:32 EDT 2007)>Thank you

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:03:37 EDT 2007)>The account is not in your name. May I have the account holder's name please?

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:03:47 EDT 2007)>i did

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:03:54 EDT 2007)>above my name

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:04:15 EDT 2007)>The tel is not pulling account under your name

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:04:17 EDT 2007)>The telphone number you provide is not pulling any account. Let me try search for your account using your name.

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:04:17 EDT 2007)>i know

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:04:31 EDT 2007)>I disclose the information the way you asked

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:04:38 EDT 2007)>419-a

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:04:46 EDT 2007)>father inlaw's(account holder)

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:04:51 EDT 2007)>my name is ron cochran

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:05:33 EDT 2007)>Thank you

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:05:39 EDT 2007)>What technical issue may I assist you with today?

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:05:56 EDT 2007)>I've had issues with speed the last few weeks...actually every since the upgrade

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:06:01 EDT 2007)>and tonight is just rediculous

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:06:14 EDT 2007)>1.2 mb's on a 15 mb service?

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:06:23 EDT 2007)>is there an issue in the area tonight?

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:06:53 EDT 2007)>Let me run test on your cable Modem Please hold.

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:07:30 EDT 2007)>if you're going to do that I am going to have to connect to the modem directly then. i am through a router right now.. but all other computers are turned off and it didn't change the speed.

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:07:48 EDT 2007)>the modem and the router were just power cycled with the coax removed from the cable modem

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:09:01 EDT 2007)>Modem online. signal level on your line is fine. MAX cab

QOS Max Upload 768 Kbps QOS Max Download 15360 Kbps

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:09:20 EDT 2007)>Do you have any Router connected?

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:09:32 EDT 2007)>Do you not read before you type?

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:09:58 EDT 2007)>Ok

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:10:11 EDT 2007)>Ok

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:10:37 EDT 2007)>No firewall currently running?

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:10:38 EDT 2007)>none

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:10:50 EDT 2007)>just avg antivirus

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:10:56 EDT 2007)>no other apps running the backgrounde

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:11:02 EDT 2007)>background.

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:11:16 EDT 2007)>Iam unable to ping your IP address?

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:11:49 EDT 2007)>Which Operating System of Windows are you currently using? Is it WinXp

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:12:04 EDT 2007)>xp 32 bit

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:12:06 EDT 2007)>sp2

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:12:41 EDT 2007)>Did you disable Xp firewall?

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:12:42 EDT 2007)>no

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:13:01 EDT 2007)>it's still on

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:13:25 EDT 2007)>unplug your router please

ron cochran(Mon Aug 27 21:13:40 EDT 2007)>then i'm going to lose connection with you

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:14:39 EDT 2007)>Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : columbus.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell TrueMobile 1400 Dual Band WLAN Mini-PCI Card

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : -

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 65.24.7.3

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, August 27, 2007 8:51:40 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:51:40 PM

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:14:43 EDT 2007)>At this point, we require that you disable your network to rule it out as a possible cause of this issue. Please disengage the network and connect your computer directly to the cable modem. Then unplug the modem from the power, leave it for two full minutes, then plug it back in to the wall outlet. After that, please reboot your computer and log into chat again so we can troubleshoot this issue further.

Tarig M(Mon Aug 27 21:15:10 EDT 2007)>Any other question or concern

They never do, they have a list of questions that they must go through, and an answer in front of them , when they get to a point where they think the problem lies.  Funny as hell though, cause I have been there . They can hardly speak English, sometimes I think they have a translated page in front of them.  :2funny:

Not to be racist or anything like that, but if you notice the name, chances are, the tech support person you spoke with has never set foot on American soil in his/her life. Mudman's right. I used to work for a tech support department for a television provider and they have a flow-chart of questions they have to ask, even if you have already answered them, they still have to ask them. It's absolutely ridiculous how they attempt to turn a very frustrating situation into an even more stressful situation by not even bothering to pay attention half the time.

(And, no, I never did that with any of my customers. That's the reason I *used* to work for them. Because I would troubleshoot the system instead of doing the cookie-cutter "do this, did that work? do that, did that work?" troubleshooting they usually try to force us into. Forced conformity at it's best.)

GIXXER, I can sympathize with you that the chat experience you've shared would have been frustrating. 

Having worked in the industry for some time, I'd like to come to the defense of tech support professionals.

Yes -- there is an "approved" troubleshooting approach.  This is the approach that works for most situations, most of the time.  This is put together from a very large sample of data by a team of people who know the technology and also the situations and problems that arise.  That may sound like a lot of nonsense, but if nothing else, it steers the representative in the right direction and is likely to uncover the major issue along the way.  To be fair (Gixxer, you may not agree), chat support isn't the best avenue when troubleshooting your connection....it's better suited to email and product support, like webspace and such.  I would recommend calling tech support where they can stay on the phone with you while you bypass your router and reset your modem and release your IP and what not (unless you have digital phone....).

I know for a fact that the majority of people doing Internet support offshore are very well educated and dedicated people.  There is a higher ratio of people with degrees working in call centers in India than anywhere in North America.  They also have better attendance.  Most of these people have very good English skills too, although the English they learn is of British influence.  There is a reason that our tech support jobs are going offshore, just like other lines of work did, and it's certainly not because they do work of lesser quality.  I have a Les Paul made by Epiphone, manufactured in China with the same parts as it is in America, bought for less than half of the price of a Gibson (American-made).  I've played a Gibson Les Paul of the same model, and I'm no vituoso, but as far as I can tell it plays and sounds the same.  I also drive a Civic.  My father won't let go of the fact that I should be supporting a North American company, and I do see where he's coming from, but I'm not rich enough to pick and choose otherwise I'd be driving a Cadillac...or maybe a Viper.  It's about the value -- where price and quality meet -- and the same applies for businesses like ISPs.  It's a very competitive market and at the end of the day it's the $$$ that determines whether the business will die or survive.  Plain and simple, offshore companies make more economical sense.

There's my rant for the month.  :tongue2:

So, did bypassing the router help??

that would be a big nope.

been 2 days with 1.2mb net when i am paying for 15...and all they can tell me is it's my computer.......................UM NO i have tried 3 different computers with and without router, wired and wireless...same results no matter which pc....before and after reboot of the pc, router, modem, cut splice addition of nitrous oxide to the rg6...............<---that was a joke.

after about an hour on the phone telling this woman that it wasn't the pc's(after she insisted it was) they are sending a tech out to hook his pc to it and check my line here...

but here is what is crappy...

i have done a speed test since 4.30 for every hour and up until now it's been the same result 1.0-1.3mb's    now at 11:50 it's tested on 3 different sites at 12.9-15.1mb's

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 12958 Kbps about 13 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1582 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/08/29 - 9:04pm

Bottom Line:: 226X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.65 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 7.687 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 168.17 % faster than the average for host (rr.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-401ZHG9QW

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; Maxthon; Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1) ; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

so this is where i am at....tech will be here friday 12-4 and i bet it works great for him....unless it will die down again for the daytime...........

it's not like i'm in a neighborhood......although there might be too many people on one box or something around here....i'm in the country( 5acre lots country like....major road and gas station is 4 miles away.... we just got city water 2 years ago

• 1 month later...

ok my patients are growing really thin..

again i had to talk to them.

for the last month my speed has sucked and right now i am getting 500kb's to 1 mb but upload is 700 which is right on par i guess.

o have i mentioned i have the 15-768 connection with RR.

i am going to get rid of it and get dial up i swear to the cablegod.=

this is stoooooopid. lol

the girl wanted me to run a tracert i asked here where to and she said start run cmd.....ok yes where what site..

O u've done this before......................NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

O YEAH!!!!!!

got back off hold and she says(just like the 4 other times i have talked to them) who is the maker of your pc................. I'm going to have to tell you to call them..........................

and like every other time i say it's not the box. i can go buy 200 pcs and i'm going to get the same results, you people don't get it do you ...............

FALLOWEARTH HELP ME BROTHER...............I'M GOING INSANE LOL.......

Where is the applications for being a call center person? can i do it from home?  I have to be able to read out of the manual right? and check boxes as i tell the person to do things that they have done numerous times before........... I swear man..........i don't know how much long i can keep it up.............

I want to talk to the head cheese in charge of the customer relations there man.