Bandwidth limit!

Kingknight67

I currently live at the dorms in Rutgers University and they implemented a policy that limits  4GB total download a week and 1 GB upload. If i break the policy, I will have to face a punishment of a week without the internet for my connection. Is there anyway to bypass this limit? By the way, in order to have a connection to the internet in the dorms, I need to install software that they provided us during the first day.

My campus, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, has an upload limit of 500 MB per a day, but we get unlimited download. The good thing is if we go over the limit we are just sent into a pool of all the other people that went over the limit for the day and we all have to share a REALLY slow connection. Pretty sure its got like regular cable speeds. Anyways, their whole system is based on your MAC address so all I do is when I go over the limit of 500 MB upload I switch my MAC address and I get to start all over with another 500 MB! Basically my upload isn't limited anymore because of this easy work around. You may wanna try changing your MAC Address and see if that resets your limits. Do they at least give you a webpage you can visit to see how close you are to the quota?

I'd say their policy is a good reason why I get such nice upload  :2funny:.

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 7746 Kbps about 7.7 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 946 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2007/09/03 - 11:29pm

Bottom Line:: 135X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 1.08 sec

Tested from a 5983 kB file and took 6.328 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 118.94 % faster than the average for host (unl.edu)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-X2BFVAH7G

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727) [!]

Go to your control panel and double click Network Connections.

Right click on your "Local Area Network" and select properties.

At the top it should show your network card and to the right of it there is a "configure" button. Click that.

Then there should be and "advanced" tab on the top. Select that, and somewhere on that page there should be a "Network Address" setting you can change.

• 3 weeks later...

Depending on the type of system in place, either the limiting is done on the MAC address or the Switch port.  If it is done on the switch port then you are out of luck.  There no way to spoof this type of system.. However, if it is a MAC based system you can try spoofing the MAC address..