linux tweaking

talon223

I ask this question 6 or more months ago. I was tolled that there  were no programs like Cablenut for Linux and that Linux really did not need any. The setting that come with Linux were all you needed. I just tryed do some speed test , but it 5:00PM on the east coast and my bandwidth is all over the place even with cable. Just too many people online right now. If I remember right the different between my windows XP computer  and my Kubuntu Linux computer is very little. My windows computer at it best will do just over 9000 kbps using cablenut. My linux computer will do around 8400kbps with no tweaks on downloads. Uploads are about the same on both computer around 720kbps. My cable plan is 768/8000.

you CAN change the RWIN....but on ubuntu/kubuntu, i found out it's a little different.

Linux automatically measures different variables and tries to tune accordingly, but ...you can definitely see a boost from RWIN. I got a good 400kb boost just a bit ago...

ahh...just dug this site up for you...

guide to tweaking linux

I played around with my sysctl.conf file until it got something done...just...everytime you make a change .."sudo sysctl -p" to ...apply the patch.

Ahh...but it's still going to be a good idea to manually calculate your RWIN and put it in as the default value. Believe me man, you WILL see a boost.

Besides, unless they've changed, Redhat, Slackware, and maybe SuSe do NOT figure up the best RWIN for you...and it defaults them to ..64kb? I dunno..I heard something about it at one of the local meets, because the guy was having slow network transfer speeds...

Ahh...but it's still going to be a good idea to manually calculate your RWIN and put it in as the default value. Believe me man, you WILL see a boost.

Besides, unless they've changed, Redhat, Slackware, and maybe SuSe do NOT figure up the best RWIN for you...and it defaults them to ..64kb? I dunno..I heard something about it at one of the local meets, because the guy was having slow network transfer speeds...

If i remember correctly there is no RWIN in linux. that is a windows thing.

It's not called RWIN, however there is an equivalent value...

Rwin, and rmem are both simply TCP/IP parameters..So they are universal.

OSX has an equivalent value to RWIN

rmem_default - default rx window

rmem_max - maximum rx window

there you go :)

not trying to start a fight..just trying to prove my point

____

and back to tweaking on linux...

I'm in the middle of setting up this:

http://powertweak.sourceforge.net/index.html

Hopefully it'll make changing network setting easier and more fun.